Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several nice bucks in my area but they have my number.
So yesterday with the cold temperatures I couldn't past on this nice doe.

The Ripper was true to the mark. The doe turned from broad side to extreme quartering away as I shouldered my bow. She was leaving so I took the shot.The blood on the arrow told me she might not go far.

The arrow entered back where I aimed and came out near the inside of the right shoulder. No blood trail but because she ran I followed her hoof prints. She was dead at 75 yards.
Glad to have her. And it was the first time take at such weird angle.
20201029_181126.jpg

20201029_185544.jpg

20201029_214134.jpg

20201029_190211.jpg

My selfie wasn't so good but my expired SP battery prevented a retake.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grats, Buddy!!!! Too bad for the big boyzzz continueing to walk on though! Keep at 'em!!!! Don't let 'em off easy!! lol
Thanks Bud! It's all entertaining!
Walk on thru? Allow me to expand my meaning. I have several stands. So far they miss their appointments with me. When I don't go they show up in daylight or another stand site when I go. I lost count how many times. I'm not getting blowed out by scent. Just a matter of time. One issue I hunt a 3/4 mile ridge with fingers running out. There is pasture on the side I enter. Can they be seeing me thru thick wooded cover as I go thru the pasture walking to my stands? Tricky! The back side is pasture also. Fun to try! Rut will mess them up!
Sat the same stand this evening and let another mature doe at 15 yards walk.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Congrats on a nice doe. The big boys aren't moving well around where I hunt anymore (hot weather) but it will break loose in the next few days. 43 outside now so maybe today. :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Congrats on a nice doe. The big boys aren't moving well around where I hunt anymore (hot weather) but it will break loose in the next few days. 43 outside now so maybe today. :)
Thanks! I could have filled my tags with doe but the hot weather works against that. It was cool enough overnight I didn't need to worry about the meat spoiling.

I have learn one thing during my hunting. During mid October to about Thanksgiving is the a great time to be hunting Whitetails in NE Arkansas.They get busy reacting to the breeding phrase and the new sources of acorns scattered over the property. Trying to cut the bucks off is always fun. The why they call it hunting.

In the past few days I trail cam checked another small ridge about a mile from my primary. There was 4 shooter bucks showed up there. I haven't seen any of them before. I will be hunting that spot soon.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
I got out this morning and it was 42 degrees at my truck. I saw 16 deer total with a spike, a 2 1/2 YO 7 point and a 2 1/12 YO 8 point. The spike and 7 point were chasing does. No deer were harmed. What I call baby bucks running the does.
I just realized they were all on the slope behind me in my avatar this morning. It is super thick up where I was. :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I got out this morning and it was 42 degrees at my truck. I saw 16 deer total with a spike, a 2 1/2 YO 7 point and a 2 1/12 YO 8 point. The spike and 7 point were chasing does. No deer were harmed. What I call baby bucks running the does.
I just realized they were all on the slope behind me in my avatar this morning. It is super thick up where I was. :)
I call 'em 'nutless' bucks. lol

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep! I guess the young bucks just can't wait due to the youth in them. For the past 4 weeks I have seen several bucks fighting (TC) over the territory in pre rut activity. It is strange when I rattle and runt they don't respond. It has worked in the past. Like to figure the right sequence or whatever. Maybe the opportunity I missed is by trail camera I should be doing video with audio.
20201017_210109.jpg
20201017_211140.jpg
20201021_001918.jpg

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As you can see by the date stamp on these photos even 1 month ago they were locked up.

20201004_170638.jpg
20200914_192436.jpg

·
Registered
13,740 Posts
Great freezer filler! Congrats.:)

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! It was good timing to get the nice doe. My venison supply was about gone from last season. This will work out perfectly.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Spots, I'd like to see ya deflate that biggest boy, with your camo mask, so you're all safe and everything....!!!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spots, I'd like to see ya deflate that biggest boy, with your camo mask, so you're all safe and everything....!!!!
Thanks KT!
All looks good! I made it thru Halloween without too many tricks.
Today my son and I finished installing one more ground blind and 95% finished a ladder stand. These will provide 2 additioal options for getting another look on the property.
Most stands we ever implemented.
Hope your view is awesome.
20201030_141217.jpg
20201030_133437.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts