Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a pretty good size feeder for a new food plot and I have been kicking around the idea of building one, so I did.... Not perfect execution by far, but decent and I put to use some spare material.

Step one was finding an affordable barrel. Looking at Craig's List, local classifieds and FaceBook Market Place I quickly found plastic barrels in various sizes with fixed and removable lids. Prices were $10-30. I almost got a couple of the $10 fixed top barrel thinking I can cut open the top and put a snap on plastic lid on it. Not a bad idea and that combo would set me back about $20. Last night I took one more look on FBMP, got lucky and found a new listing for what looked like the IDEAL plastic barrel! A 60 gallon, HD plastic drums with screw on lids for $30 a piece. These are food grade thick material drums that pork products are shipped in. I think with some paint, they will be perfect.

Cobalt blue Blue Plastic Product Electric blue

This is going in a fenced food plot so the Texas pigs are isolated and the feeder doesn't need to be too high off the ground. Some 2X2X3/16" angle made the legs and some 3X3X3/16" angle made up the deck (which I could do much better next time) ;) and I had some 5/8" tube I used for leg bracing. The metal dished feet were $5 a piece at the country metal shop and my Miller 211 stitched it all together pretty well.

Barrel Storage tank Cylinder Water tank

The motor is a Moultrie. I've got three other smaller Moultrie feeders on the ranch and this was my spare.

Wood Pipe

Out of pocket I'm into this as it sits for $75 and have a spare barrel. If I had to buy everything to build it and add $15 more for paint, it's a $200 feeder. Cheap 400 lb corn feeders are $250 and nice ones are $350+.

Water tank Storage tank

I've got some cleanup and painting to do and may add a cage but I think this will work. It was fun to build so there's that too :)

·
13,182 Posts
Looks good … Only issue I've seen using plastic barrels is occasionally squirrels will eat through the plastic to get into your bait. If you can't reach high enough to fill it, you might add a crossmember/step to one set of legs?

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good … Only issue I've seen using plastic barrels is occasionally squirrels will eat through the plastic to get into your bait. If you can't reach high enough to fill it, you might add a crossmember/step to one set of legs?
They do that for sure Duke. I see that on the smaller Moultrie feeders and typically they work on the edges of the top lid. The screw on lid on this barrel is 1/4" to 3/8" in places so they have their work cut out for them ;)

The lower brace is 5/8" tube at 12" and even though I'm height challenged, that's good to get me high enough to dump a 50 lb bag.

I'm stopping at Tractor Supply this morning to see what they have that I can make a cage out of. The commercial cages I see being sold around here are not quite big enough to keep **** arms off the motor.

·
13,182 Posts
I've seen … 8-12 FAT ***** on my feeders. Makes me nuts. They eat as much bait as the deer you're after! Although I've found if you kill one or two of them, they seem to leave the feeder alone. The real frustrators are doves. They'll swoop in with 80-100 at a time and wipe out everything on the ground. I've sat in a stand at sunrise only to see the trees full of them. They drop down two or three at a time in a long running, painful show. You kill a couple of them and an hour later they're all back.
Photography Smoke

Reactions: TX_RDXguy

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ditto on the skirls eating the lids. I put a galvanized wash tub on top. Also build a ****/skirl proof cage around the feeder built out of 1" hardware cloth. Opens at the bottom with small screw type chain links.

·
Registered
15,567 Posts
You will be both surprised AND entertained thru your cameras if you just rub some Vaseline on those metal legs. After a bit the ***** give up on the idea of climbing the feeder. Same with the squirrels.:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I know you want that corn to spread, but here i have song birds and squirrels that will spin the metal spinner. One day i thought i was being punked. I just filled it with 200 lbs of corn, next day all on the ground. Anyways what i had to do now is screw a 5 gallon compound bucket via a screw style Gamma ring. All corn goes straight down. But for the past 3 years no wasting. I have tried wire cages. PIA to get to battery on feeder. Also i have been using the $25 moultrie all in one. Love it

·
Registered
438 Posts
I did the same thing with 35 gallon plastic drums. Something I learned about using large amounts of corn, moisture will find its way in. I solved this issue by taping bagged rice to the lid, or sides of the inside of barrel. There’s nothing worse than having to empty a feeder to find out moisture cause the feeder to clog. Just throwing that out there. Great looking build!

·
13,182 Posts
I did the same thing with 35 gallon plastic drums. Something I learned about using large amounts of corn, moisture will find its way in. I solved this issue by taping bagged rice to the lid, or sides of the inside of barrel. There’s nothing worse than having to empty a feeder to find out moisture cause the feeder to clog. Just throwing that out there. Great looking build!
I started … covering the lid with a piece of rubber roofing material and cinching it tight with a ratchet strap as it draped around the sides. Works superbly.

Reactions: Toyz

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good tip Toyz. This thing looks water tight but a little rice is an easy way be sure.

·
Registered
15,567 Posts
So.....you taped the bag of rice to the inside? I assume that's after tearing the top open? The rice wicks away any moisture? Great tip....thx.:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I found with the cheap Academy 89$ feeder that the only way to keep the ***** away was to build a cage to go around the spinner from 1" . It is attached to the base and to the sides of the barrel since it is not funny to see a couple of ***** hanging from a cage that is not well supported.

His base looks like you could attach the cage several ways. Mine has 4 screws to hold to the spinner base base and then 4 pieces of tie wire to support the cage to the base. Does not take that long to remove it and the double support is back up since the ***** can find ways to dump all the corn on the ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.