Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing lately a lot of little bugs in the bagged corn I'm getting from walmart.Seems they are there in the bags from the get go and may be hatching or evolving. Literally hundreds of them in a 50lb bag after it sits a few weeks. I've seen them before in stored birdseed as well. Used my last bag so I cant take a picture. I've never seen them before this year in corn. Anybody else seeing them or know what they are ?

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought they might be called that but was just a guess. I picked up a bag yesterday that was only about 1/4 full if even that. It had been sitting in my basement. The bottom of the bag was warm like there was some type of chemical reaction going on. Full of bugs and dust like you said when I dumped it out.

·
Registered
548 Posts
sounds like they’re selling last year’s corn.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
It happens when the storage facility doesn't treat the bins it stored inside. Then it transfers into the bags. Bad business and deer like it less. Notify WM they are selling bad 🌽

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
20200926_095858.jpg

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It happens when the storage facility doesn't treat the bins it stored inside. Then it transfers into the bags. Bad business and deer like it less. Notify WM they are selling bad 🌽
I have noticed that the corn has been piling up. Not getting ate.I dont feed but maybe 2lbs a day I'd guess. What ever the feeder spits out in about 8 seconds two times a day. I didn't see what these are in your list of bugs above. Their very small beetle type looking things. Picked up some corn today from Academy sports. Slowly filled a 5 gallon bucket a little at a time checking as I went and didn't see any.I'll look and see if I can find a pic of them.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet that makes for some bitter tasting corn.
My un scientific guess is they eat the heart of the kernal that has the protein. Then the deer dont want the rest.

Reactions: Yelpy and robertyb

·
Registered
42 Posts
Stalker - My guess is that those bugs/larvae are in the corn before it is bagged, so I'm not sure how much the freezer will help. I quit buying the corn from wal-mart last year. Academy's corn is way cleaner and I have never had any issues with weevils in it. It's worth the extra buck to me. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Weevils / beetles in corn is very common. AAMOF, stored product pests ( of all kinds) are routinely found in many food products coming from retailers shelves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts