Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It’s sounds like a great setup, and sounds like it is going to get better. I have a set of 440 limbs coming if usps decides to deliver them. Pat K

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello i am interested in the radius’s u talk about in the limb pockets on the riser, and how it benefits the bow, info would be great !! Pat k

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello i am interested in the radius’s u talk about in the limb pockets on the riser, and how it benefits the bow, info would be great !! Pat k
It’s a Gen 1 Matrix 380 riser and when the limbs used to be overcooked in the early days of that series, I found that the limbs sawed themselves up against all the sharp edges in the limb pockets. Notably, where the limb straps are screwed in and where the limb departs from the riser. This made a huge difference in the longevity of my limbs. I haven’t checked any newer generations but I’ve heard they do this from the factory now...could be wrong there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yup, @395Blackout they finally fixed those Matrix risers. Excal are very slow to implement design changes and their engineers suck eggs, but they seem to eventually listen to others and learn how to solve most of their problems. Patience and DIY have always been requirements since the post 2013 models were released. :)

I dug around and found an old photo on my laptop that shows where I began to work on my old 380 riser. I ended up spending two afternoons filing and sanding and polishing on that bugger! Then I had to paint all of the bare metal that I had created. Both of my limbs were found to be already badly cut by the riser when I unboxed it! Peter sent me a new pair of limbs right away though. I didn't mind terribly that I had to fix the riser because I needed to relocate both limbs anyway... they were not located on the anchor bolt centerlines. I moved both limbs up toward the top of the rail .032" to fix that problem which meant that I only had to radius the two lower limb retainers and file slopes into the bottoms of the sockets to fix it. No biggie... but after having just paid nearly a grand for my new 380 I did feel a bit disappointed. This is the only pic that I can find right now. If I find one of that riser after the fixes were completed I'll post it up.

380-riser-rework.png

Now the new Matrix riser looks nothing like those 1st gen junkers! Excal have finally produced a riser that is machined smartly and that works right! But they did screw them up a bit by overdoing it... both limb socket widths are oversized on my 440, so both required me to add about .020" of shim stock onto the lower outboard retainers, to properly locate and hold the limbs on their centerlines where they belong. Thats no biggie... Here is a pic of my BD 440 riser that shows the sloping radius's machined into the bottoms of those limb sockets.

limb-sockets-1.png

And here is a photo that shows the plastic shim stock that I glued into the lower limb retainers to position those new, thicker butt limbs precisely on each of their anchor bolt centers. It would function fine as-is from the factory though. This was an optimization, not considered to be a necessary fix... the 1st gen risers were all junkers from the factory though.

limb-shims.png

Excal needs a smarter engineer, one that is capable of listening to others. They need to step up and provide a lot better fit & finish to all of their models too. We shouldn't have to pay big bucks for a new model then spend several days of our own time measuring, shimming, sanding and polishing... there were deep ugly machine tool gouges on the the top of the rail on my new 440. It was disgusting and frustrating to see that crap fresh out of the box. We shouldn't have to deburr both ends of those rails and we shouldn't have to square up the rail joint to match the riser either. These are sloppily produced products nowadays that more and more appear like cheap china made crap.

I still like Excal xbows the most though. They've certainly tried hard to improve, just need to step those efforts up a bunch. I'm not the only meathead customer that runs away from china-like workmanship.... fix that crap now Excal, or else!

·
Registered
41 Posts
It’s a Gen 1 Matrix 380 riser and when the limbs used to be overcooked in the early days of that series, I found that the limbs sawed themselves up against all the sharp edges in the limb pockets.
Just an FYI... none of the Matrix limbs were ever weakened by "overcooking" them in the dipping/curing processes like Excal claimed. That was a lie that they told their frustrated customers and they knew it was a lie. The cause for all of the broken 1st gen Matrix limbs was the fact that the riser sockets cut into the butts of the limbs. In my case, my new M380 arrived with both limbs already cut deeply and destroyed, because the two limbs had been forced into the sockets at the factory by tightening the limb bolts. Excal knew!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
All good info, think iam gonna build one for myself to make it unique, I doubt any better just mine !!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bad news, that used bd 440 isn,t coming, maybe next time!! PatK

21 - 29 of 29 Posts