Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newb question for you all. Just got this Burner 415 new a few days ago and I've run about 50 arrows through it. I noticed yesterday that my cable serving on one of the cables looks like it's separating right where it makes contact with the sharp turn on the cam. The other cable looks like it's starting to wear at that spot too but is still relatively sound looking.

I think this is a no-shoot situation, but I wanted to confirm before I try taking it somewhere to be serviced. I live south of Raleigh and the closest authorized repair center is over an hour from me. Can someone please let me know if this cable needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? If no one is comfortable making the call, I'd be satisfied with at least a few words on what to look for. Also, being a brand new bow this week, this is on the manufacturer to fix, correct?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes, needs to be reserved.

The purpose of the serving is to protect the strands. With the serving slipping, the strands are now exposed to damage.

If you were in hunting situation (which I know that's not what you were asking about), perhaps on a guided hunt or such to where it couldn't get it reserved for a day or so, to finished the hunt you could cover it with some dental floss about 1/2" on both sides and finish the hunt, then have it reserved as soon as you got back. Just throwing this out there so you could get a better feel for something like this.

A lot of crossbows will need cables or strings to be reserved from time to time for whatever the reason. For future situations, consider learning to reserve your strings yourself. For some people it's the ideal solution.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info samt! I'll get it fixed up right away so I can get shooting again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wanted to update this thread. Spoke with the KI rep over the phone today. He said as long as it's not fraying on the string itself, it should be okay to shoot. I do think I want to have another set made though. Are Marty's prices competitive? Also, how do I get in contact with him?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem with my new Boss 405 I bought a month ago. First time out shooting the serving was separating on a cam. I contacted Killer Instinct..they said yup you need a new cable set there $89. I said I just bought it shot it 5 times before I noticed the separation . I ended up taking to a nearby crossbow tech. He corrected the problem for free. He said the serving was very loose on both ends of the cable. Since it was basically still new he said all he had to do was tighten the serving on both ends of the cable. I went back to the dealer I bought it from and looked at the never shot or cocked display model I know this because I asked them and they said it was never cocked. Well the serving was separating on the display bow in the same spots. I shot mine this first time since serving corrected and its fine now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same problem with my new Boss 405 I bought a month ago. First time out shooting the serving was separating on a cam. I contacted Killer Instinct..they said yup you need a new cable set there $89. I said I just bought it shot it 5 times before I noticed the separation . I ended up taking to a nearby crossbow tech. He corrected the problem for free. He said the serving was very loose on both ends of the cable. Since it was basically still new he said all he had to do was tighten the serving on both ends of the cable. I went back to the dealer I bought it from and looked at the never shot or cocked display model I know this because I asked them and they said it was never cocked. Well the serving was separating on the display bow in the same spots. I shot mine this first time since serving corrected and its fine now.
The cable sets are $35 on the Killer Instinct website, but I don't see why I would spend money on them if the serving is just going to fail again. I'm PMing Marty now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had messaged back and forth with Marty. If mine couldn't have been fixed at a shop close to home I was going to try and get one from him. We were trying to find the specs for the cable and string set for my Boss 405. He said he could make them but needed the specs. Probably when this one needs replaced I'll have Marty do it now I found a shop that can put it on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your right why buy one from KI I was going to replace the whole thing cable and string. But if there going to fail and separate go with Marty he said his won't have that problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had messaged back and forth with Marty. If mine couldn't have been fixed at a shop close to home I was going to try and get one from him. We were trying to find the specs for the cable and string set for my Boss 405. He said he could make them but needed the specs. Probably when this one needs replaced I'll have Marty do it now I found a shop that can put it on.
I just messaged him and he must have since gotten the specs because he told me he could make me a set. I want my bow to be reliable so I pulled the trigger on a set from him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marty will do right by you. He makes fantastic strings and cables. :)
I hope so. I'm a little miffed that a brand new bow did this after 50 shots. I checked on their warranty and it doesn't cover strings and cables. They didn't offer to fix it for me either. Told me to keep shooting it if there's no obvious fraying. I'm pretty sure there's going to be fraying if I do that considering how far the serving walked. I shot it one more time after I spoke to them and it looks worse now. Going to wait for Marty's cables and string before I use it again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had same results with KI. I shot 5 arrows thru mine and saw the separation . Stopped shooting soon as I did. After seeing the never shot display Boss 405 at the dealer with serving separation mine was probably just like that before I shot it. KI wanted pictures of the separation which I sent them. The Crossbow shop that tightened all the serving on my bow for no charge sells Ten Point crossbows. The owner said that's the worst serving job I've seen never had a Ten Point like that. If you remember let me know how you like Marty's cables . After this season I'm going to get a cable/string set from him. I'll have the shop that fixed mine put it on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll definitely post back with results Cibby. I've been watching videos on string making. It seems there's a very specific way of achieving good results like having proper string tension during serving and making the serving windings tight enough. The error on these strings reminds me of factory welds I've seen snap off due to poor penetration. Your typical ugly farmer welds will hold better than that. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it will work well.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Marty also guarantees his work. I have his strings and cables on both my xbows. Hundreds of shots on them. Still perfect,also gained 8 fps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had same results with KI. I shot 5 arrows thru mine and saw the separation . Stopped shooting soon as I did. After seeing the never shot display Boss 405 at the dealer with serving separation mine was probably just like that before I shot it. KI wanted pictures of the separation which I sent them. The Crossbow shop that tightened all the serving on my bow for no charge sells Ten Point crossbows. The owner said that's the worst serving job I've seen never had a Ten Point like that. If you remember let me know how you like Marty's cables . After this season I'm going to get a cable/string set from him. I'll have the shop that fixed mine put it on.
Cibby, I'm glad to report that Marty Mig's string/cable set arrived in the mail last night and I got a chance to shoot the heck out of the bow today with them installed. Probably put close to a hundred arrows through it. No signs of server separation and it's shooting great. The end serving on the string and cable is a lot less bulky too. Not sure whether that's significant, but it shoots great like this so far. Very happy with the results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts