Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to preface this by saying that my intent is not to trash talk the Burner 415, just to relay my experience and let others have a quick way to remedy if they choose. I still think it's a remarkable machine, but I've been having problems with the stock since the day I received it. It kept moving in from my setting, and the recoil felt a lot worse than it should have for a crossbow. After a few shooting sessions, I figured out that it wasn't me just bumping the lever during cocking. I began to check it before every shot to make sure it was at the proper setting and saw that it would move during the shot, which is why it hurt. It's like holding the butt stock an inch or two away from your shoulder and letting it slam into it.
So I tried an experiment by putting the butt stock from my M&P-15 on the the crossbow. Measuring the two buffer tubes with a digital caliper showed that they were within a thousandth of an inch (mil-spec size) so the M&P stock slid right on there no problem. It's longer than the factory KI stock and won't adjust closer than the number 4 setting, but that's fine with me since I had the factory one set all the way out to 6 anyway, and it still felt like I needed another inch or so longer. So then I contacted KI by email and let them know what the issue was and they sent me a new one no questions asked. Great customer service. Unfortunately the brand new stock does the same thing. It seems that there's a design flaw. The pin doesn't engage the index holes all the way and it hops over with even the slightest of bumps now since they're starting to get wallowed out. On a hunch, I bought a mil-spec M4 generic stock at the same time as contacting KI just in case the new one didn't work either. Since hunting season starts tomorrow morning here in NC, I'm not going to continue trying to remedy this through KI and I'm just going to leave the M4 stock on there so I can get some hunting done. With my long arms the length of pull feels about perfect with this one retracted all the way. Here's a pic of what it looks like for those who have this issue and just want to fix it themselves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate what you've done here...I own a Burner 415 myself and I'm less than impressed by the manufacturing tolerances on this OEM butt stock. It's just plain sloppy...I was going to look at it closely and come up with a fix but I think you took care of that for me! I really like the look of that MR stock...you have a winner there!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something else you might want to look into if you like the original stock are the California compliant fixed stock conversion kits. They put a threaded bolt in place of the spring loaded pin. Kind of pricey for what they are but no more slop with one of those on there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was looking at this one...I'm 6'5" with long arms so a longer overall length appeals to me. As far as the bolt set up you suggested, that's something I could manage myself. I also thought of a heavier locking pin spring and some polymer shim material to make up for the sloppy fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts