Crossbow Nation banner

Buying a Crossbow Without the Package

Jump to Latest

Go into any sporting goods store in any state that allows the use of crossbows for hunting and you’ll most likely find multiple choices when it comes to crossbow packages for purchase. You can usually find these packages priced to fit almost every budget. But what you won’t find is the option to buy just a crossbow without any accessories packaged with it. If you are a vertical archery guy, the concept of buying an entire package might seem a little odd to you. Not being able to choose what accessories you want and don’t want on your bow is foreign territory. On the other hand. If you are new to crossbow hunting, buying a package with everything you need to hunt with, already chosen for you, might be exactly what you are looking for.
Why do manufacturers only offer packages? I think for the most part, because it is easy for them to include the accessories that they know will work with their particular bows. Unlike shooting a vertical bow, shooting a crossbow does not require a trip to a pro-shop where an experienced employee will help you choose the right types of accessories for your particular bow. So, instead of hoping that the consumer chooses to shoot the right length arrow that meets the minimum weight required for safe operation, it’s just easier to include them. The same goes for the sight and the quiver. Plus, by including all of these accessories, a manufacturer can sell the complete package at a better value then when purchasing them piece by piece. This can be a good deal if the accessories included are of good quality and ones that you’ll want to keep. But sometimes, manufacturers throw in arrows of lower quality and cheap red dot scopes that don’t hold zero. At this point we are stuck paying for items we don’t want.
Another reason might be because most of the bows being sold today are to first time crossbow hunters. So the demand isn’t that high to offer a standalone option. But what could it hurt offer us the consumer this option? There are some of us that are experienced enough to know what arrow we want to shoot or what scope we want to use. For those of us that fall into that group, we are forced to buy accessories that will most likely be removed the minute we unpack our crossbows from the box. I do think that as the popularity for crossbows grows, so will our options for buying just a bow without the package. I also think that more accessory companies will start to develop accessories that we will want to purchase so we can customize our bows. As it stands right now, compared to the vertical archery world, we really don’t have that many third party manufacturers offering us options to customize anyhow.
Hopefully one day the crossbow market will be as large as the vertical bow market. At that point I can see shopping for a crossbow becoming more like shopping for a vertical bow. But we should be careful what we wish for. It is not uncommon for one to spend just as much money on accessories for a vertical bow as the cost of the bow itself. If this same trend happens in the crossbow world, it will make for a more expensive hobby for most of us. Until then, we’ll just have to keep buying packages. The good news is that I have seen a recent change in the quality of some accessories being offered in some of the packages for sale in todays market. Instead of just trying to create value, some crossbow manufactures are including high quality sights and arrows that you would have no reason to change from. But having the option would still be nice.

Hi and welcome to Crossbow Nation!!!. I started this site so all of us crossbow enthusiast could have a place to hang out, get to know each other, and share some information. This site has been ever evolving since I launched it and I'm sure it will continue to change. If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to email me at [email protected] anytime.<br /> Thanks, Jeff
Written By:
Hi and welcome to Crossbow Nation!!!. I started this site so all of us crossbow enthusiast could have a place to hang out, get to know each other, and share some information. This site has been ever evolving since I launched it and I'm sure it will continue to change. If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to email me at [email protected] anytime.<br /> Thanks, Jeff
Follow View All Authors

1 - 1 of 1 Posts