Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace cables on a 415 amp has anyone done it and how easy is it to do. I have my own press

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Two ways of changing the cables depending on what style press one has.
1)remove the riser and put the riser in the press.
2)I have the Sniper crossbow press so I can do it as in (1) or put the crossbow
in a vertical position, leaving the riser on and compress the riser enough to remove
the cables.
Note: a)if using the cable slide, the top cable fits into the deeper groove of the slide.
b)if using the cable slide, one may not have enough room if leaving the riser on the
crossbow to remove and re install the cables. All my crossbows, I have eliminated
the cable slide and served that area with BCY .030 serving.

Note: if one wishes to serve the cables, the crossbow has to be properly tuned first as
once the serving is installed, the cables can not be twisted or untwisted in that area.

In the uncocked position, I mark the cables on each side of the rail-stock with white
out. This will then show how much cable has to be served when the crossbow is cocked.

Which ever way one does this, with the pressure partially off after installing the new
cables, look at where the limbs cross the cams. These areas should match for timing.
Next, cock the crossbow and block it level. Lay a level across the rail-stock and across
the cams. A 24" carpenter level works good. This will show if the cams are level or have
to be adjusted at the "Y" end of the cable. Any adjusting at the "Y" end of the cable, recheck
the timing afterward.

One may find when the cams are level, the top of the cam may be level with the top of
the rail-stock or below it. Looking from one cam to the other, the bowstring may hump up
as it crosses the rail-stock. This hump is common with most front mounted riser crossbows.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thank you so much Great detail. I'll do my best . I'm going to leave it stock I'm not going to do any reserving of the cables

1 - 3 of 3 Posts