Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to buy a used XB30 Pro at a good price, just to see if the optics czar is full of it or if it’s actually the creme de la creme of crossbow scopes (watch the Market Place in the future). 🙃

The eye relief is short as I anticipated and the Burris X-High Signature aren’t quite high enough for my progress eyeglasses. I might have to mount it in my extra Bobro mount to get the right height.

Glass is ok but I haven’t had time to really evaluate the outer edges. Will see how it compares later in low light against the XBR and XB75.

The reticle appears a bit cleaner than the Hawkes I’ve had but we’ll see if the crosshairs still look like painted on lipstick later on when illuminated. We’ll see how it goes.

(Had new carpeting installed yesterday so most future pic will have a different background now, just noticed it matches my Deathstalker). :p

DSCN2583.JPG
DSCN2584.JPG
DSCN2588.JPG

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Happy Member
5,358 Posts
Tim I really like mine. It’s best for me and I’ve tried the XB1, Rangemaster, both Tact-Zones, Vortex new scope, SightMark and Ravin scopes. It’s a perfect fit for me personally. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
I like all 3 of my Hawke scopes. I have the XB1, XB30 compact 2-8x36 I and XB30 Pro and they work fine. I like the etchings on the Optical lens the most out of everything they have. Not to much and just enough. I'm so used to them now that if I were to go with another brand I would have to get reacquainted with what I'm looking through. I've never had a problem with not enough light through them either.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I hear they are good for looking at galactical constellations at night?
I believe most would understand the difference in a crossbow scope and a telescope,,, but then some folks are easily fooled! But no doubt, you can look at stars with it, at night that is,,, you'll probably need a little better scope fer daytime star gazing,,, just a guess,:unsure:

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I like all 3 of my Hawke scopes. I have the XB1, XB30 compact 2-8x36 I and XB30 Pro and they work fine. I like the etchings on the Optical lens the most out of everything they have. Not to much and just enough. I'm so used to them now that if I were to go with another brand I would have to get reacquainted with what I'm looking through. I've never had a problem with not enough light through them either.
Marty,
Do you have favorite of the three? XB30 compact SR 1.5-6x36mm and it works very well.
Too bad these speed ring scopes need faster bows to use the higher power. Mine is set at 400fps (4x)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am seriously still trying to figure out how many versions of the xb 30 there are....
This is what I was told:

------------------------------------------------

Hi Tim,

The XB30 Pro has been around since 2014. These models do not carry serial numbers.

You may be able to roughly date the scope by the style of branding, with 2016 models and new having the current Hawke stylized lettering on the left hand side of the ocular bell.

These models should also have the model number 12230
on the underside of the ocular bell; older models will have no model number or a number with an HK prefix.

The reticle also changed in 2017, with a circle and dot center aiming point being replaced with a cross like the rest of the holdover points.

Ben Parker
Customer Support (205413)
Hawke USA
[email protected]

----------------------------------------------

Mine has the 12230 model number under the ocular and the newer reticle update - so I guess I have the latest and greatest..

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
For a crossbow scope it is great. It is not an xbr or a high end rifle scooe but for thev$$$$ and the need of easily getting on a animal that you know the distance of without making adjustments you can't beat it

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
I found my good glass though I already have an XBR. I really like the Sig Sauer glass in my new BDX scope and also in the RF. I sat on my deck watching a couple of bucks at 165 yards using the RF as a monocular and I was impressed. It might get me to leave my Swarovski binocular at home.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I am seriously still trying to figure out how many versions of the xb 30 there are....
The one I have is still shown on their Hawke website. There are two shown with different power 6X or 8x max ranges.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just finished my low light comparison between the XB30 Pro, my XBR, and XB75. Sunset was 8:55pm and last light was 9:27. At 9:13pm and with some light from a street light, all 3 scopes could pick out the individual bricks and cements lines on the neighbors house about 55-60 yards across the street. Both the XBR and XB75 were set on 4x, the XB30 Pro was set just past 360 fps so it was probably somewhere around 3x-3.5x - that’s about a 6.9 exit pupil and more than these old eyes can take advantage of.

5 minutes later at 9:18, the XBR and XB75 could still pick out the cement lines but the XB30 Pro was starting to lose those lines. At 9:25pm, both the XBR and the “bottom of the barrel Zeiss XB75” could still pick out the cement lines as well but the XBR was a tad bit clearer. The XB30 Pro was not picking up the cement lines at all and the brick wall and image looked a bit grainy.

The rheostat works a bit odd but it has an off/on step. In that first low light step it seemed a bit brighter than what I would consider low illumination and then got brighter as the dial was increased - but it was getting really dark. It had some of the ghosting that I saw when I had my old Hawke XB1.

The XB30 Pro was mounted on my DS and does sit a bit lower than I’d like and I’m not sure if I was looking out of the exact center of my progressive lenses. I might throw it in my Bobro to bring the height up more to where I’m more comfortable.

I hunted probably 2 seasons with that bottom of the barrel Zeiss XB75 on my Mission Dagger and never felt I was under scoped. However, most people would probably be happy with the XB30 Pro, but I’ve been fortunate to own some really great optics (I still have 4 Zeiss scopes now I think), and the XB30 Pro is just a mid level crossbow scope imo - ymmv.

I will take and look through it some more during regular daylight, but I might be hunting with the XB75 on my DS because of the overall less weight.

Reactions: Moon

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have a powerful green light that mounts on the rack under the crossbow rail so I can hunt even in darkest.
But I doubt if I use it for deer but hogs yes. The XB30 I use has enough light gathering ability for me. When it gets too dark I am ready to get down 30 minutes after sundown.
I have used the green light a few times on hogs and they didn't spook until the hammer dropped.LOL! Then it was too late to duck!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
This is a little bit ridiculous (major website posting error) but I noticed on the Hawke Optic website in the description for the XB1 they copied details from the XB30 description. I did a double take when they stated on the surface the XB1 has a 1" tube then in the details they said 30mm which if for the XB30...LOL!
I was thinking the 30mm tube allows for more light. Oh well!

·
8,450 Posts
LOL … It's like modern cars. You need to give the serial number to buy a windshield wiper blade or light bulb because they use about 30 different vendors. 😂

Reactions: Rit and wildcatter

·
2,661 Posts
I’ve often thought the TP vs ‘catter feud should have it’s own sub forum, now including purchasing equipment the other likes for a review. LMAO

·
8,450 Posts
I’ve often thought the TP vs ‘catter feud should have it’s own sub forum, now including purchasing equipment the other likes for a review. LMAO
Wonder … how open minded TP is gonna be on this one?...lol Could be kinda like one of those CNN polls on Trump's chances to get re-elected. 😂

1 - 20 of 52 Posts