Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wonder … how open minded TP is gonna be on this one?...lol
Duke - I’ll sell it to you and you can post YOUR review of it. 😆

I found my good glass though I already have an XBR. I really like the Sig Sauer glass in my new BDX scope and also in the RF.
I’d like to find a place that carries them so I could do a touchy-feely with one.

Reactions: bbahunter

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
This is a little bit ridiculous (major website posting error) but I noticed on the Hawke Optic website in the description for the XB1 they copied details from the XB30 description. I did a double take when they stated on the surface the XB1 has a 1" tube then in the details they said 30mm which if for the XB30...LOL!
I was thinking the 30mm tube allows for more light. Oh well!
The main advantage of the 30mm tube is adjustment range,, it allows more than the same optical glass setup in a 1" tube. But they are way off if they said 30mm for the XB-1. I believe the only thing the XB-1 and the XB-30 have in common is the same lower quality glass! I owned both for a very short time, and neither one compares to the new XB-30 Pro glass from the past two models.

Many think the bigger the glass,,, Obj. and eye with tube size makes any scope brighter,,,, big misconception! Look through the Leica tiny optics on the R-1000 rangefinder, and every scope here gets lost in the dark!

Yes if you use the most exotic glass a 1" tube with a 24mm obj, and a 32 mm exit pupil will blow away some of the best 30mm tubed 50mm obj. with 36mm exit pupils away in the moon light!

March scopes have some of the best examples of this anyone can find, and the prices to reflect it. I have had Leica Zeiss and Swarovski and would not pay the difference for the March, yes it is noticably better brighter, clearer, and smother calibrated, but even these old eyes only need so much. this is why inside 50 yards I see no reason or anything better for the 3 times the money, than the XB-30 Pro SR,, as of now anyways.
This is what I was told:

------------------------------------------------

Hi Tim,

The XB30 Pro has been around since 2014. These models do not carry serial numbers.

You may be able to roughly date the scope by the style of branding, with 2016 models and new having the current Hawke stylized lettering on the left hand side of the ocular bell.

These models should also have the model number 12230
on the underside of the ocular bell; older models will have no model number or a number with an HK prefix.

The reticle also changed in 2017, with a circle and dot center aiming point being replaced with a cross like the rest of the holdover points.

Ben Parker
Customer Support (205413)
Hawke USA
[email protected]

----------------------------------------------

Mine has the 12230 model number under the ocular and the newer reticle update - so I guess I have the latest and greatest..
That firsty XB-30 also had aiming points only out to 60 yards maybe 50 no real sure it's been so long. But it had glass that was no better than the Excalibur shadow zone at the time, probably another scope made in the same factory as Hawke? That scope also came in a buble pack and they all had the "SLED", a one piece base and rings that was slightly forward and made of steel, heavy as hell!

Then they changed the reticle and kept the same Red/Green the original scope had for illumination, back then most using them in low light had to run the batteries almost dead to make the lowest setting usable, but at the time, it was the best "crossbow only Illuminated scope available" which is probably why the better optics of the Luppy Crossbones bellied up, even though it had better glass! Same with a Nikon and a couple other crossbow only scopes at the time!

I think there was another update then that addressed only the glass, and I did have one of them and ditched the originals, I gained mot only more aiming points, but also gained better glass, not only clearer images but also better low light brightness as well, mind you with the exact same size of glass ans same groups.

I think the next version was the one with the semi circle around the 20 yard aiming point. It also was the first version to ditch the click settings for brightness and ditch the green that I never found usable in low light. for the stepless and red only illumination, I believe they also made some changes in the coatings on the glass as well with that version, it was better optically, or at least the two I had seemed to be.

Then they changed the semi circle to the SR reticle today, and finally the last one I am aware of is the current version which has updated glass again with even better coatings.

I was told to look for another version soon with the Locking speed collar??? That was last fall and I'm just guessing we won't see it till the virus is under control in all countries??? But those are the ones I am sure of, I might of missed a couple but sure enough those I have been informed about from Jess before his departure from the company. I have yet to get as good a insight on new items since????

LOL … It's like modern cars. You need to give the serial number to buy a windshield wiper blade or light bulb because they use about 30 different vendors. 😂
As for the serial number I was told like Excalibur, their is no need when your not intereasted in tracking them and who bought what, they are all under the same No BS warranty, if you can break it,, no questions asked, they will replace it forever, and with whatever is the latest version of what you broke. One reason like my Dillon 550B, they are here to stay. You might find better, but you will pay a lot more, as nothing for the same price will compare, and no mater how you screw up, they will replace it, or fix it,,,,FOREVER!

Now as for TP's agenda, I think it will be what he himself decides he likes, for the umpteenth time, it is his opinion, and like I said, I don't care what anyone makes, we all have an opinion, and never will anyone make a scope, an arrow, a bow, or anything else that everyone will own or like best for what they use them for!! Thank God, we will always choices! Mine are clear.

·
8,411 Posts
Duke - I’ll sell it to you and you can post YOUR review of it. 😆
SELL???...lol You couldn't GIVE me a Hawke scope! :oops: I've had half a dozen and the closest to satisfied I was with any of them was an Airmax either 3-9x or 4-12x I forget which one. Eventually it quit, and that was the second Airmax after I bent one trying to shim a ring with a couple layers of soda can. The tube must have been as thin as the can...lol I had an SR with reticle rings about the size of a hula-hoop, and an old XB30 that sucked for picture quality. It had a grey ghost ring around the picture. I still have an Eclipse 30SF sitting here that won't hold zero from one day to the next. Picture quality isn't terrible, if you want to use it for a spotting scope or telescope. 😂

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I pulled the XB30 Pro off and removed the Burris Signature rings, remounted it in my Bobro so I could get the height up more. t is easier to pick up since I can look straight thru it.

I was looking at the neighbors fence across the street (sitting in the sled on my bench rest) and the clarity just didn’t look good. I had the focus ring set for what I thought was fine but when I rotated the ring 90º, it got much more clearer. So last nights comaprison could have been a bit skewed.

But I went and got my bottom of the barrel Zeiss XB75 and by going back and forth with the XB30 Pro looking at the neighbors fence 53 yards away - the XB75 was clearer and had more “pop”.

Can’t help it, it’s just my evaluation - ymmv. The Bobro it’s in is a QR so I think I’ll pull it off and take it and the XB75 and see what my brother-in-law thinks.

Reactions: HunterB

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The main advantage of the 30mm tube is adjustment range,, it allows more than the same optical glass setup in a 1" tube.

Many think the bigger the glass,,, Obj. and eye with tube size makes any scope brighter,,,, big misconception!

Yes if you use the most exotic glass a 1" tube with a 24mm obj, and a 32 mm exit pupil will blow away some of the best 30mm tubed 50mm obj. with 36mm exit pupils away in the moon light!
It's a rare occurrence but I actually agree with your first two statement.

However, not sure how you get an exit pupil of 32mm or 36mm - are you talking about the Hubble telescope?

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Excuse me, my mistake, eye piece was what I meant, as yes no way to get that large of e.p. on any scope. The point is, chit glass, and poor coatings will determine more for brightness. Than the size of glass or scope. Great glass and exotic coatings can do amaizing things for resolving images in extremely low light in very small pakages, when compared to cheap very large glass in bigger ones. But this comes at a much bigger price tag, we get what pay for, and that applies to all manufacturers. Again excuse the mistake!
It's a rare occurrence but I actually agree with your first two statement.

However, not sure how you get an exit pupil of 32mm or 36mm - are you talking about the Hubble telescope?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I pulled the XB30 Pro off and removed the Burris Signature rings, remounted it in my Bobro so I could get the height up more. t is easier to pick up since I can look straight thru it.

I was looking at the neighbors fence across the street (sitting in the sled on my bench rest) and the clarity just didn’t look good. I had the focus ring set for what I thought was fine but when I rotated the ring 90º, it got much more clearer. So last nights comaprison could have been a bit skewed.

But I went and got my bottom of the barrel Zeiss XB75 and by going back and forth with the XB30 Pro looking at the neighbors fence 53 yards away - the XB75 was clearer and had more “pop”.

Can’t help it, it’s just my evaluation - ymmv. The Bobro it’s in is a QR so I think I’ll pull it off and take it and the XB75 and see what my brother-in-law thinks.
I wish you had a Hawke xb30 2-8x36 you could compare to those and report on.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
There is no comparison, the xb30 compact has no better glass than the xb1. I've owned both and would and would compare the glass of the compact, and the brightness closer to the Excalibur shadow zone. I won't buy another, but right now both Bose I own wear xb30 Pro Sr scopes. Much brighter and better image.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had one, wasn’t impressed. The eye relief was really really short. I always thought maybe the 1.5-6 might have had a bit more but probably not.

I sold it.

Reactions: HunterB

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, the verdict is in.

My brother-in-law came over, I pulled the XB30 Pro off the DS and we sat on my front deck and he took turns looking thru it and the bottom of the barrel Zeiss Terra XB75 at houses and parked cars up the street as well as some signs. The Zeiss was set on 4x, the XB30 Pro was somewhere between 3.25x and 3.5x. My B-I-L is a big Leupold and high powered rifle fan and owns a pair of Swarovski 8x42 EL bins.

The very first thing he said was the Zeiss was brighter. :oops: After going back and forth several times he said the Zeiss was clearer. And later he said the Zeiss reticle was easier to read. The individual crosshairs were larger as well as the yardage numbers - thanks Moon!(y)

Here’s a pic of the reticles and I understand what he meant now by the yardage numbers. And then what I noticed in the pics was how easier it was to see the center solid crosshair on the Zeiss compared to the double thin lines as shown on the XB30 Pro.

The XB30 Pro came with the flip up scope caps but I didn’t get the 2 little half moon tools to adjust them with, so I sent an email to Hawke to see about getting a set. Once I get them I'll post the XB30 Pro for sale in the Market Place.

So unless I splurge on the Sig Sauer BDX system, the Tim Reaper will be wearing the bottom of the barrel Zeiss Terra XB75 this year with a Vendetta 1. (y)

DSCN2595.JPG
DSCN2599.JPG
DSCN2601.JPG

·
11,010 Posts
The discontinued Zeiss XB75 Scope was BOB for Zeiss😊 but its reticle is top of the line, IMO :giggle:. Spent long hours down at the farm developing the reticle. Some of the development was actually done with a Scorpyd crossbow:) A simple multi crosshair reticle with the top and bottom of each crosshair corresponding to 2.5 yards from the crosshairs’ center, with a dot for 5 yard increments, was the goal. Too bad Zeiss patented the reticle and then screwed the other stuff up. I won’t get into details of that but they should have listened. I still like the scope and will be hunting with 2 of them this fall on my R26 and Micro Runt. Giving the red dot reflex sights a break for awhile.

·
8,411 Posts
As for the serial number I was told like Excalibur, their is no need when your not intereasted in tracking them and who bought what, they are all under the same No BS warranty, if you can break it,, no questions asked, they will replace it forever, and with whatever is the latest version of what you broke. One reason like my Dillon 550B, they are here to stay. You might find better, but you will pay a lot more, as nothing for the same price will compare, and no mater how you screw up, they will replace it, or fix it,,,,FOREVER!
SOooooo … if I call Hawke about my 5 year old wandering zero Eclipse 30SF they'd exchange it? :unsure: :) I'm not sure who I bought it from, Amazon? Cabelas? but whoever it was they wouldn't take it back.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
send it to the Fort Wayne Indiana Hawke USA Warehouse, it's not still made and it can't be fixed they'll send the comprable model. If it came with a lifetime warranty, and I would think it did as all the crossbow Scopes come with lifetime warranty. I showed the xb30 pro hanging in my man cave, that I accidentally slung a 3/4 sheet of plywood into the eyepiece and bent it, it's still functioned, held it to zero, but I was given a brand new xb30 Pro.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It's too bad Zeiss didn't keep the scope, not for me but there are plenty that like it, the biggest tragedy is if they would just have illuminated the main reticle I might have liked it. But my other beef was I like low-power scopes with wide view. With a 30 yard zero the XB-30 pro SR works out to 60 or 70 yards on every Bow I've had for the other aiming points and even with a 380 feet per second bow I'm only about three power, giving me excellent field of view up close. Some prefer power over field of view, i have always pointed out this preference for me, just another reason there is no one anything for everyone. And the Zeiss requires substantially more power at any speed than the xb30 pro. The brightness is close, mine was more obvious than the specimens you tested that's pretty obvious when it takes 3 days two people and less than 5 minutes difference in assessment of the brightness difference, as was said many times they're very close. So close obviously any different specimen from either could be 5 minutes brighter than the other. The things that change, are illumination and power settings, both points I have made clear were both the main rrasons i ditched mine. Good luck, and on your last year on your favorite hunting ground, I hope you nail a bigger boy than last year! You are definitely setup to.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
With a 30 yard zero the XB-30 pro SR works out to 60 or 70 yards on every Bow I've had for the other aiming points
So you’re sighting in at 30 yards with the 20 yard crosshair and then remembering to add 10 to the remaining reticle’s yardage indicators?

I’m not sure the algorithms would match up correctly. At 380 fps and a 20 yard zero, the drop at 30 yards is roughly -2.44” and at 40 yards its -7.67” - based on a 3” scope height.

But with a 30 yard zero, the drop at 40 yards is -4.42” (next crosshair available) and at 50 yards it’s -11.82”. Seems like you’d have to alter the mag ring setting to get the other yardages with the 30 yard zero to fit. You might be able to tweak the 40 yard correctly but I would think the others would be off - imo. Are the other yardages dead nuts or just close enough?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Tim on several Bows they have worked perfectly within one yard difference at every setting doing it this way. A lot of times people can make things not work by making it more difficult than it is. Very simple set up a Target sight in at 30 yards, moved to 50 yards using the third aiming point and adjust the power, this changes field of view, which in turn changes all your algorithm suggestions. It's like using a recurve, keep it simple stupid. Very Elementary.

I've made it very clear for years this is how I set up, and can usually zero a new scope and bow in less than five shots doing so that will give me the second aiming point at 40 yards and the fourth aiming point at 60 yards and be within an inch or inch and a half, from 30 to 60 using those for aiming points. I never paid much attention two numbers and for for aiming points someone doesn't need to designate them for me to use the proper one, maybe that's what makes this so simple for me.

But even with a 20-yard zero on both of these scopes the xb30 pro requires less power giving wider field-of-view which is what I prefer. The advantage of a 30 yard zero is it also changes the arch trajectory from HomeBase to 30 yards, and you can check with beervo,and find we have owned bows that had to be zeroed at 30 yards, because when they were sighted in at 20, with the height of the scope rail, it was impossible to zero the 30-yard Crosshair, a problem Mike encountered and I solved for him. Sometimes instructions aren't worth the paper they are wrote on, and thinking outside the box with hands on experimenting opens doors others never know exist. I like a 30 yard zero and they mean Dead on out to 37
even 40 yards with one aiming point. Even if it is 30 yards and I aim a couple inches high in the Boiler Room the deer is dead.

I can do this knowing if it's slightly over 30 yards aim slightly high on the Boiler Room, my main aiming point will kill anything within 40 yards when doing this. It's worked for decades for me, try it you may like it.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The advantage of a 30 yard zero is it also changes the arch trajectory from HomeBase to 30 yards,
I don’t believe you’re going to change the trajectory's arc. You’d be changing the launch angle (aiming the crossbow higher) to get the 30 yard zero, but it would seem Mr Gravity is going to have the same effect on the shaft. It would still seem the speed setting would need to be adjusted differently.

Since I have a Vendetta mounted on it, I see no need for a point blank range option. And I can take advantage of Moon’s 2 1/2 yard increments in the reticle. :p

21 - 40 of 47 Posts