Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still wanting to get a backup crossbow and stumbled across a Ravin R9 on Craigs that’s about an hour’s drive away. I watched a 2017 video so it could be when they first came out.

Says it was their shortest crossbow at the time and I wonder if it still is and what the weight was? Every Ravin I’ve picked up at Cabelas seemed to be nose heavy and weighed a ton.

Any thoughts on this model? Thanks.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I have not ever shot an R9 but can tell you that it is nor even close to being as short as the R26 or R29.
They do feel a little nose heavy when set up with front quiver and front handle attachment but remove the quiver and get one of Bill's rear stock handle attachments and the front heavy feeling is gone. It is amazing how moving a few ounces from the front to the back helps the balance.
I can also tell you that if you do buy a Ravin as a backup bow don't be surprised when it becomes your go to bow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Its not the shortest anymore.I think it was 34.5 inches long. Now, they range from 34.5 inches (R20) down to 26 inches (R26). I'm pretty sure they all weight about 6.5lbs to 7.1lbs. Not a big difference. I don't know what the price is for the one you are looking at, you might want to consider a new R10 (you'll get new, a warranty, and another 10 FPS). The R10 is really nice and the price has come down quite a bit. But the R9 is/was a great bow and probably the most reliable (I just see the least complaints about it).

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah, get a new R10...they are great bows! I have had 2 Missions (Dagger, MXB 400), 3 Scorpyds (Orion Extreme 175, Silver Ventilator 150, Grim Reaper), Stryker LS 390 as well as others and like the R10 better than any of those. The only bow that I like better than the R10 is my R29.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
R9s are good crossbows but I like my R10 better for hunting. The R10 is not only flatter shooting but 1-1/2" shorter.
R9s have the lighter weight 180 deflection limbs so they are not as heavy in the front as the R10/R15/R20 with the 218 deflection limbs.
Also, a tuned R9 is a heck of a target crossbow as demonstrated by the 3 arrow 60 yard group shown below. It'll be fine for deer hunting as well but I would refrain from long shots much over 40 yards.

As with any Ravin, my best advise to you is to ditch the front crank handle holder and the Ravin OEM strings. Get you a good set of premium strings made by the great folks at Archery Shack or GAS.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, get a new R10...they are great bows! I have had 2 Missions (Dagger, MXB 400), 3 Scorpyds (Orion Extreme 175, Silver Ventilator 150, Grim Reaper), Stryker LS 390 as well as others and like the R10 better than any of those. The only bow that I like better than the R10 is my R29.
View attachment 184437
This will probably going to cost me money and all I wanted was a back up for my DS. That R9 on Craig's is listed at $1150 and has been running for 15 days. I probablyly could get him down to $1000.

Now you guys have my head filled with the R10, I haven’t even seen one, but I think I want one now! Quit doing that crap to me!

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I went over and looked for you. :)

No one has answered his ad so far. :)

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent him a PM a little while ago.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
TP,
Warning... :)
We always welcome new Ravin members to the club and especially experienced crossbow hunters like yourself.
But that Ravin integral crank system is seriously addictive so you might just find that Scorpyd collecting dust.
Just a word of Caution and no disrespect to Scorpyd intended at all. Jim and Rex make a fine product.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Is the warranty transferable? If not, I would not buy one.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the warranty transferable? If not, I would not buy one.
I’m not sure ANY manufactures warrant their crossbows to other than the original owner and with the warranty card registered.

Reactions: SEW and dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I’m not sure ANY manufactures warrant their crossbows to other than the original owner and with the warranty card registered.
I believe Excalibur warranties the xbow for the life of it, even if sold, traded or given away.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I believe Excalibur warranties the xbow for the life of it, even if sold, traded or given away.
Actually they don't. Until recently they never had a serial number on a bow so they do honor the warranties. But for the new ones coming out with serial numbers, time will tell.

Excalibur crossbows carry a lifetime warranty on manufacturing defects. Warranty will be given at Excalibur’s discretion for the lifetime of the original owner of the crossbow. Registration of your crossbow is required,

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
TP,there is a Swat XP just listed here for $600. He is having issues ,but may be minimal and make a good back up for you! I thought about a new Swat XP for a back up ,but someone selling one so fast already, makes me glad I waited! No more first year bows for me......

Also,I bought an R9 when they first came out,but sold it the next year.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TP,there is a Swat XP just listed here for $600. He is having issues ,but may be minimal and make a good back up for you!
The Swat XP may be a great bow but I don’t think it’s for me. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
830 Posts
New KI bow with warranty and customer service for half price. 🤔Sounds like an awesome back up.🙄

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think Tnmtns was being funny. 😂

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like the R10 I was communicating with on CT has sold. Could be a blessing - I saved some money.

I was at Cabelas this morning and all they had to look at was the R26 and the R29. The R26 was tiny at 26” long and the R29 was 29”.

Over on the rack was tenPoint Nitro RDX regally $1850 on sale for $999. They looked nice but TenPoints alway feel heavy to me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts