Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been shooting a Carbon Express PileDriver 390 for over 4-years now.
The reason i picked this bow 4 - years ago was that itn was affordable and it came with the cocking devise.
Simply put - I Loved this bow from day one ! it fit my needs perfectly.
In didnt have to have the cockinh device buti knew it would be important in the future because i was starting to have some back problems.
Bout a month ago the butt end of the stock of my PileDriver snapped completely off rendering it useless !
I did some checkimg and found out i had a 5-year warranty on it , Also found out that Carbon Express sold out to Feradyne. Got ahold of Feradyne sent some pics..they get back with me and say yes, they will stand behind the warranty. GREAT NEWS !!!
But ----- there is Always a But ...
Seems that they discontiued the PileDrver in i thimk 2018. Feradyne still willing to help offered me a Rocky Mountain RM370 Crossbow. of their 3 models of Rocky Mountain Crossbows the RM370 is at the lowest end. They said that of the RM370,RM405, Rm415 the RM370 was the only one available. they statedf that "their 405 & 415 models were "Completly Out of Stock with No idea when or if they would be available again" ????
I was hesitant but, i took the deal. im had no choice.
The bow came , i very quickly put it tpgether it came with the cocking device. thats when i noticed there is no hole in the stock for the device... because the RM370 is not compatable with their cocking device !!!
tryed to cock it with ropes, i cant do it,,, because, turns out I was right about my back, last year they diagnosed that i have Scoliosis of the spine.
Hey, it is what it is ! I didnt get on here and do all this typing for anybodys sypothy ! there is nothing they can do about my back, I just want to be able to COCK MY DAM CROSSBOW & DEER HUNT !!!
i know that one of you guys or girls ot there know of somekinda way i can get it done..
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated !
Sorry bout the typing & spelling
Thank You !
CoolHandLuke

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
17,172 Posts
Did you not ask if it came with a cocking device? Atleast you have something you can sell if you need to start over. If you have to buy a cocking device you are gonna spend $100 or more for one IMO. Hang in here....there's a few members here that will definitely come up with an idea or three for ya. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade

· Premium Member
4,531 Posts
I looked up that bow and it is not compatible with there crank , so no options to buy a crank that will work on the bow .
However if you can get the rear end off the bow and send to me i can hook you up with a crank .
I have 5 KI cranks that I can fit to that rear end .

If interested let me know in this thread and I will PM you !!

· Registered
312 Posts

· Registered
8,441 Posts
You are right, that series of Rocky Mountain crossbow does not accept the crank cocking device that plugs into the but end of the stock.
This is shown on the Feradyne website.
The reason Feradyne can not keep those crossbows in stock is : 1)they are very cheap to purchase here as they are imported. 2)unless
the limbs are improved on the newer brown 405 and 415 series, stay clear of that brand as the the limbs splinter. Checking their website
which I have been doing, they list complete risers for a few dollars more than just limbs and they cannot keep these in stock. Being these
crossbows have a composite stock filled with some type of foam to make them lighter, they have a very high recoil that will damage good
quality scopes.
The Rocky Mountain crossbow is a rebranded Carbon Express.

Another crossbow to stay clear of is the Bruin Ambush 370. This brand has the same faulty limbs. The mentioned crossbow limbs are all
manufactured by the same company but labelled for what ever brand they are required for. Many parts on these brands are all interchangeable.

My suggestion is go to Cabela's and purchase a Center Point Sniper XT390. This crossbow is listed at $329.99. This crossbow butt end can be
easily modified to use the plug in crank cocking device that the Rocky Mountain uses. This crossbow has the extendable butt stock which is ideal
for different arm length people or when wearing different clothing for warmer or colder weather. Properly tuned, good arrows, a bubble level on the
scope and a good rest, this crossbow is extremely accurate.
This crossbow does not come with arrows but a good quality are the 20" Blood Sport Witness that use 1/2 moon nocks that the crossbow requires.
The 20" and 22" weigh the same. The difference being the 20" use a 95 grain brass insert while the 22" use a 77 grain brass insert. The arrows are
available at some Wal Marts, EBay and Amazon.

Note: the Center Point Sniper XT390 are built exclusively for Cabela's and Bass Pro. These crossbows are imported and that is why they are cheap
to purchase here. These crossbows have a different trigger system than other Center Point crossbows. Absolutely no trigger creep and 2 pound and
under trigger pull.

Barnett supposedly has some good crossbows in the TS model. Check the Barnett section of this forum as TomOnTheRun and Huntersthompson
are members that can give references.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

· Registered
8,441 Posts
Or will this crank work?
This is a high quality crank, but the series of crossbow that the operator has, the butt stock will not accept it.
I have this style and have modified several brands and series of my crossbows to use it. If ones hand came
off the crank, there is no danger of an injury from a back spin or a dry fire. With care, one can even decock
the crossbow. One can stop anywhere in the cocking process and take their hand off the crank. There are
two versions of this model in orange. The drum shaft on the one model has a groove at each end. At the area
where the crank fits the drum shaft is a small Allen screw. This screw can be adjusted where upon it puts pressure
on a spring loaded ball. Adding pressure keeps the handle on the drum shaft. The crank will work on either end for
left or right handed crank cocking the crossbow.
Note: an earlier version of this crank cocking device has the blue crank handle knob. This handle just pushes on to
the drum shaft and after a lot of use can become warn where I had to shim and glue mine to keep it in place for safety.

I have the blue version and both orange versions of this crank cocking device.

Wishing you all the best,
Take care.

· Registered
8,441 Posts
Send it to Burky. You will probably be amazed at his work.
Burky may be able to modify the crossbow, but as stated, the limbs on these crossbows
are garbage for the fact I mentioned how they sliver and one actually broke at 56 shots.
As stated on Feradyne website, one can not obtain replacement parts.

Lots of better crossbows out there for around the same price.

Take care.

· Registered
8,552 Posts
Air gun Machine gun Wood Trigger Shotgun

This being the 370 model it will probably hold up better than the faster models, lighter as well. 370 fps will blow thru a deer. Send the butt stock to Burky and sell that crank here on market. I have that crank and modified it to use on my TS 370.

· Registered
4 Posts
This is a high quality crank, but the series of crossbow that the operator has, the butt stock will not accept it.
I have this style and have modified several brands and series of my crossbows to use it. If ones hand came
off the crank, there is no danger of an injury from a back spin or a dry fire. With care, one can even decock
the crossbow. One can stop anywhere in the cocking process and take their hand off the crank. There are
two versions of this model in orange. The drum shaft on the one model has a groove at each end. At the area
where the crank fits the drum shaft is a small Allen screw. This screw can be adjusted where upon it puts pressure
on a spring loaded ball. Adding pressure keeps the handle on the drum shaft. The crank will work on either end for
left or right handed crank cocking the crossbow.
Note: an earlier version of this crank cocking device has the blue crank handle knob. This handle just pushes on to
the drum shaft and after a lot of use can become warn where I had to shim and glue mine to keep it in place for safety.

I have the blue version and both orange versions of this crank cocking device.

Wishing you all the best,
Take care.
I have an xt390 with adjustable stock, is it hard to modify it to accept this cranking device. Thanks in advance Billll

· Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165. Burky Custom mini-reverse swat
902 Posts
Burky may be able to modify the crossbow, but as stated, the limbs on these crossbows
are garbage for the fact I mentioned how they sliver and one actually broke at 56 shots.
As stated on Feradyne website, one can not obtain replacement parts.

Lots of better crossbows out there for around the same price.

Take care.
That all may be true, but they gave him the crossbow to mitigate his warranty. It is what it is, as it is doubtful they will give him more or something different. Burky can fix it, then if he wants, he can sell it with the crank and get something else.

· Registered
8,441 Posts
I have an xt390 with adjustable stock, is it hard to modify it to accept this cranking device. Thanks in advance Billll
In regards to the modification, I removed the stock butt plate and made one out of 3/4" thick oak. Oak is a hard wood
and with care it does not split or sliver. Cut the oak to the same size as the original butt plate. Find the center of the stock
extension tube and this is the area one cuts the + for the cocking device to plug in. I drilled a hole in the oak and then care
fully cut each side and top and bottom for the + of the cocking device to fit. Where the two screws go, I drilled and counter
sunk them as the oak is much thicker than the original.

As a further note, I have modified 3 each Center Point Sniper XT390 crossbows this way plus several of my Barnett crossbows.

Some Barnett crossbows will accept the Barnett crank cocking device. What I found with them is the bushing is too narrow and
oversize which allows for a sloppy fit. The Barnett device sits too low making for a lot more unnecessary downward pressure
when cocking the crossbow. I modified the butt end of the stock for the plug in device to work.
One Barnett crossbow was returned after a couple of days after purchase. Two many machining and coating or dipping faults.
The safety switch would not fit as the corners where it fits were rounded due to too much coating or dipping. Installing the crank
on the right hand side, the cover plate would no longer fit on the left side as the stock was too narrow when the crank cocking
device was installed.
No lubricant in the limb pockets or limb rockers to prevent squeaks when cocking and shooting. These parts had to be carefully
pried out due to too much coating or dipping.
A 1/4" spacer had to be installed under the picatinny rail to level it for the scope to work properly.

The brush retainer would not retract a bit when trying to install an arrow. To remove the arrow, it had to be shot. Taking the brush
retainer apart, there is a curved flat, spring with a hook to keep it in place. Who ever did the assembly installed the spring a 1/2 turn
out. Doing the proper installation the brush retainer worked properly. With the brush retainer the only way to make an adjustment
it take it apart and adjust the curvature of the spring for more or less pressure. Other arrow retainers after removing the scope, have
a small Allen screw to increase or decrease pressure on the arrow.

Some crossbows with the extended stock, a clamp on bracket will fit. Now the cocking device can be used and then removed.
The problem here is with that bracket installed, the stock extension can no longer be fully collapsed that a shorter armed person
may require. This system could be used on the Center Point Sniper XT390 but for that reason I would no go that route.

In regards to the picatinny rail with the arrow re-tension ball, I removed this and went to the older style arrow retainer because I
needed a longer Picatinny rail as I am using scopes that are 14 inches plus in length.

Take care.

· Registered
8,441 Posts
That all may be true, but they gave him the crossbow to mitigate his warranty. It is what it is, as it is doubtful they will give him more or something different. Burky can fix it, then if he wants, he can sell it with the crank and get something else.
For the price of the cross bow and the limb problems I mention, it is not worth spending more money on that crossbow.
I have a few crossbows of that limb style where not knowing at the time, I bought from other dealers hoping the limbs
were from a better batch. Also, I did not realize these crossbows were sold under different names. I also have a couple
new crossbows of the 405, 415 series and a Bruin Ambush 370 never assembled that I will not shoot and would be
embarrassed to sell and have some one else go through the same problems I had. Contacting the importer that sells the
Bruin Ambush 370 I was informed they do not stock parts. For the price the importers can purchase these crossbows for
the more they buy, the cheaper they can sell them for, there is no point in tying up money stocking parts.

If you go to Feradyne website and select "Rocky" then risers or limbs, which show different series, you will see where
the company is out of the replacements. This has been going on for many months as I have been continually checking.
Another reason being overseas has been under Covid lock downs which affects manufacturing and shipping.

As for warranty on various crossbows that are having limb failure, until the manufacture improves material or a better
manufacturing process, one is still going to get the same faulty replacement parts.

Take care.

· Registered
8,441 Posts
View attachment 245549
This being the 370 model it will probably hold up better than the faster models, lighter as well. 370 fps will blow thru a deer. Send the butt stock to Burky and sell that crank here on market. I have that crank and modified it to use on my TS 370.
This crossbow you submitted a picture of is a far better designed crossbow than what the Rocky Mountain ones are
for near the same value. As for the 370 feet per second, that is using a 370 grain arrow-point combination that the
manufacture has used to get their advertising speed. Manufactures will do this but do not recommend shooting that
light of and arrow-point combination.

Take care.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts