Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the scenario, shooting out of a groundblind, huge doe is 20 yards away broadside, perfect DL shot, I didn't hit rib in or out. I am shooting a 474gr arrow @350 FPS. I am in a field that has just been mowed. The field is maybe 3 inches high. For the life of me I can not find my arrow. I am hoping with the Firenock I will spot it tonight. So the question is, how far will a arrow go after my type of hit.

·
8,922 Posts
"Probably" … not as far as you think. Arrows shot from low angles like out of a ground blind, particularly rediculously heavy arrows carrying a ton of momentum, ( :p ;) ) can really bury themselves since there so much less resistance in the dirt on shallow angles. The whole arrow can wind up underground; or underneath matted grass and/clippings. I found an arrow a few years ago by bringing back a steel rake the following week. It too had a lighted nock. The Firenock was still glowing.

The other less likely scenario is the arrow "skipped" off the surface and could have wound up a hundred yards away. But usually broadheads dig in.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
I have used the rake trick to find buried up arrows too. It helps to know approx where they are though. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Lost a brand new ST on a doe I shot yesterday too... I didn't take too much time looking for it though as I wanted to get her dressed out and in a cooler... I look for it again tomorrow when I am out there. Glad it rained late yesterday to wash all the sent from tracking her down. It looked like the killing fields with all the blood!
WTZ

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Good luck. Shooting on level or uneven ground is terrible for arrow retrieval. In an elevated stand, it angles somewhat so you may find the nock end of the arrow sticking up. I have shot at deer from both elevated and ground stands and was fairly certain I could pinpoint where the arrow hit only to not find it. In soft ground, it can bury very deeply. I lost a discharge bolt once. Shot it into the ground three yards away. Practically dug up a 3X3 area to find it with no results. A lighted nock can help but only if the arrow is not fully into the ground. It's one of the downsides to the sport we have to accept. LOL

Reactions: LostinTexas

·
Registered
107 Posts
How far isn't the question. What it is buried under is the question. Turf that looks pretty sparse can cover an arrow handily.
Good luck.

Reactions: bowmanmt

·
Registered
622 Posts
One year i was hunting on the ground and had a nice buck come in. I screwed up an easy shot and hit a little far back. We looked for my arrow for about an hour and finally my buddy found it 80 yards away buried about 2 inches deep in a tree. If i remember correctly i was using a 425gr arrow and shooting 350-375 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm positive that many chapters can be written on this thread....how many arrows have been lost this week??

Reactions: Martymig

·
8,922 Posts
I have used the rake trick to find buried up arrows too. It helps to know approx where they are though. :)
Easy enough … he just has to rake a 5' wide by 150 yard long transect in a line behind the deer aligned with the ground blind. :p 😂 He'll probably unearth it at 27 yards.;)

Reactions: bowmanmt

·
Crossbow Nut
3,139 Posts
Ok here is the scenario, shooting out of a groundblind, huge doe is 20 yards away broadside, perfect DL shot, I didn't hit rib in or out. I am shooting a 474gr arrow @350 FPS. I am in a field that has just been mowed. The field is maybe 3 inches high. For the life of me I can not find my arrow. I am hoping with the Firenock I will spot it tonight. So the question is, how far will a arrow go after my type of hit.
Broadhead + insert + lighted nock + shaft + vanes = way too dang much money. What a shame our sport has become so expensive that we almost have to choose what to recover first; the deer or the arrow...
Good luck findin it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yep! It's likely buried up in the grass against the ground.
Couple of years ago I shot a buck from 30 yards when I was in a lockon stand 24' high in a white oak. I didn't find the arrow until the next spring when the grownup pasture was burnt off. It was heart lung shot. The Spitfire 3 blade was good but the arrow lost it's vanes.
That dang buck was a 210 lb beast that went 350 yards to die. Fortunately it was towards my truck.

Reactions: Jack Pine

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I shot a turkey, not exactly a deer, several years ago from my blind. Found the arrow roughly 75 yds beyond where the turkey was standing. They can travel a good bit farther than you think.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sometimes arrows can do weird things. I once shot at a buck in a sparse soybean field. The buck was about 40 yards out, and I was in a ladder stand about 16" up and about 15 yards into the woods edge. The arrow must have knicked a small tree branch i failed to see. The arrow started to nosedive at about 30 yards, and totally missed the deer. I was using lighted knocks, so following the arrow was fairly easy until it got into the soybean rows which were parallel to the arrow flight. The buck ran off farther down the field, it was early in the evening hunt, so I cocked the crossbow and kept hunting. About twenty minutes later the buck started walking back and maybe 10 yards closer. The second shot did not miss. Anyhow back to the first arrow. I attempted a quick look in the soybean rows before dark and no luck. Friend and I went back the next morning, spent about two hours and finally found the arrow about 150 yards down the bean row and laying on top of the dirt. Apparently the arrow must have skipped upon hitting the dirt. By all means, good luck finding your arrow. Not good when arrows with broadheads are in a farmers field.
Apologize for being long winded, just needed to tell the whole story.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Stand an arrow vertical where you shot from. Go to where the animal, target etc. you shot at.
Place another arrow in a vertical position. When you go past this second arrow, one can look
back and line the two arrows up. Unless the arrow ricocheted it will be in this line.

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah shooting out of a ground blind can s#uck as far as finding the arrow after the shot..they can do some pretty darn weird things... happened a few times to me in the last few years..Thank the Lord for lighted nocks!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
A.............you guys who use the rake method...........I have several large oaks in my backyard that drop tons of leaves making it difficult for me to find an arrow. Would you mind coming over this fall, with some of your friends who also own rakes, and demonstrate the technique? I'll furnish drinks and snacks. Let me know a day in advance so I can make sure I lose an arrow before you arrive. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts