Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Crossbow Nut
3,139 Posts
A.............you guys who use the rake method...........I have several large oaks in my backyard that drop tons of leaves making it difficult for me to find an arrow. Would you mind coming over this fall, with some of your friends who also own rakes, and demonstrate the technique? I'll furnish drinks and snacks. Let me know a day in advance so I can make sure I lose an arrow before you arrive. Thanks!
LOL I didn't know Tom Sawyer shot a crossbow.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I bet he finds it. Even when they dig in deep that Firenock glow shines out.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well just got back. I waited for pitch black. I found it buried just under the grass. Without the Firenock I would never of found it. 25 yards from the hit.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I was only willing to work so hard to find a lost 19 dollar arrow. That is one reason I want be slinging arrows at anything that wonders by. It hurts the wallet.

·
8,922 Posts
Broadhead + insert + lighted nock + shaft + vanes = way too dang much money. What a shame our sport has become so expensive that we almost have to choose what to recover first; the deer or the arrow...
Good luck findin it.
Amen brother … Buy a $30.00 Ravin broadhead put it on a $17.00 Ravin arrow and stick an $18.00 Firenock illuminator on it and the shaking in your crosshairs when that big buck walks out is likely from the thought of sending a $65.00 arrow to an unknown destiny...lol My buddy had to send a second arrow into a deer last week to apply a coup de grâce and unfortunately both arrows broke and both broadheads were damaged. We were gutting all our kills and when we came upon the broken shafts in the carcass I said to him "that's a fifty dollar deer there." :oops:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Amen brother … Buy a $30.00 Ravin broadhead put it on a $17.00 Ravin arrow and stick an $18.00 Firenock illuminator on it and the shaking in your crosshairs when that big buck walks out is likely from the thought of sending a $65.00 arrow to an unknown destiny...lol My buddy had to send a second arrow into a deer last week to apply a coup de grâce and unfortunately both arrows broke and both broadheads were damaged. We were gutting all our kills and when we came upon the broken shafts in the carcass I said to him "that's a fifty dollar deer there." :oops:
LOL, when you look at what the average Joe shells out to hunt whitetails the cost of venison is around [email protected]

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Hate to tell you guys but it is only money. If all I wanted was some venison I would take my shotgun which was given to me on my 12th birthday and go kill a deer and process it myself. So for a few dollars a year I could kill just as many as I do now. My crossbows, deer rifles and muzzleloaders are toys I bought to play with. If you really can't afford the toys get out an old rifle or shotgun and go kill a deer. It does not have to be expensive unless you want it to be.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Stand an arrow vertical where you shot from. Go to where the animal, target etc. you shot at.
Place another arrow in a vertical position. When you go past this second arrow, one can look
back and line the two arrows up. Unless the arrow ricocheted it will be in this line.

All the best.
Take care.
Not a bad suggestion. However to elaborate on it, I would not use hunting arrows with broadheads on, as when pushing into the soil you will be dulling the blades. You could use arrows with field points or sticks with surveyors florescent ribbon attached.

·
8,922 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Broadhead + insert + lighted nock + shaft + vanes = way too dang much money. What a shame our sport has become so expensive that we almost have to choose what to recover first; the deer or the arrow...
Good luck findin it.
Indeed it is!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts