Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have my first crossbow. its just a cheap chinese version with 180lb draw. it has a 3-9*56 tasco scope on it. the bolts are the cheap (i presume) chinese ones with 2018. stamped on them and plastic fletches. they are 44cm in length are these too crap to zero properly? should i buy better quality ones or am i missing something else?

thanks in advance.

·
1,222 Posts
Your arrows should be 16" or 18" (cm ?) long for that type bow.
Plastic fletching is normal.
The 2219 shaft is noteably stiffer.

All that said...one thing new shooters do is to not center the string during or after cocking. If the string pulls to one side or the other, even a little...the back of the arrow will follow the string as it centers itself as it goes down the track. A mark on each side of the string, next to the rail/barrel will help...but the "cocking aids" will pull the string is about as close to center as your gonna get it.

Good luck.

Mike

·
43 Posts
arrow length

44cm is just under 18inches, a centimeter is 10 millimeter, an inch is roughly 2.5cm:)

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
wildeboer said:
44cm is just under 18inches, a centimeter is 10 millimeter, an inch is roughly 2.5cm:)
Yea! I forgot! An inch is 2.54cm to be exact. I should have known that.
Y2KFireblade, I posted a response to this problem on another thread on here.
You may want to review it.

·
115 Posts
Mike is absolutely correct about the centering. After a lot of practice at drawing the string, it can actually become second nature to be able to do a perfectly centered draw without the use of a cocking aid. I actually can do this.

For a newbie, the cocking aid is the best bet.

I have one of those 180lb bows myself, and have made a few modifications to it that make it work a lot better.

As soon as I have time to take photos I will upload a thread on the mods that can be done to the 180lb Draw Eagle type crossbow that will improve it immensely. I am also working on a way to increase the bolt speed by increasing the length of the power stroke. This is mainly for those of us who cannot afford an expensive CB at this time.

:)

·
43 Posts
Wally

(As soon as I have time to take photos I will upload a thread on the mods that can be done to the 180lb Draw Eagle type crossbow that will improve it immensely. I am also working on a way to increase the bolt speed by increasing the length of the power stroke. This is mainly for those of us who cannot afford an expensive CB at this time.)

Wally, can't you please make time to post?
I am really curious now about lenghtening the powerstroke:)

·
115 Posts
Basically, it involves machining two precisely matching mirrored solid pieces of steel with two holes drilled exactly in line with the two holes on each of the mount ears that the limbs are attached to. Then replacing the two machine bolts with ones that are the correct length to pass through the two pieces of steel (blocks that fit perfectly in the space that the limbs are presently attached to) and secured by the two bolts, on each limb bracket (ear). I want to engineer a way of designing a new bracket that is sort of the reverse of the one on the crossbow, complete with the ability to swivel in. The idea is to move the limbs forward approximately two inches forward thereby making the power stroke two inches longer, and increasing the speed of a launched bolt.

Using two solid blocks would work IF they could be somehow attached both by the bolts and to the front of the bracket too.

I believe a one inch thick steel block will work without the frontal attachment though. This would add one inch to the present power stroke.

Keep in mind that the curved area at the outer side of the block would have to match the curved area on the present bracket to a "T".

I have not actually done this yet, but have pretty much worked it out on paper.

That is all I have at this time.

·
1,222 Posts
Wally -

I don't see a 1.00" extra draw as being any problem....but...

Two inches may be pushing the bending capability of the limb, especially the Chinese limbs.

What'da think?

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts