Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a retired Marine and longtime vertical bow hunter and recently (2-1/2 months ago) had 3 level acdf. Needless to say, shooting my vertical bows is complicated. I ordered a wicked ridge with the decock which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to start my crossbow journey. This forum has already yielded some good info to me. Looking forward to learning more.

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
1,573 Posts
Hello and welcome @gearhead1161

Thank you for your service!

You are in good company. Several of us have been shooting crossbow for over 35 years and before that were shooting verticals. Several of us have health and shoulder issues (some from pulling verticals too long) and are reluctantly re-inventing ourselves to the ranks of arrow slingers Extraordinaires. Most of your previous knowledge is transferable, but there is a learning curve for some stuff. It's all about get'n back in the woods and sling'n arrows.
We're all just slinging arrows. A little faster, a little horizontal, and a whole bunch of fun.
There are some wonderful people here and we can't wait to count you among us.
Welcome, good luck and God bless!

· Premium Member
Excalibur Micro Suppressor. Excalibur Micro Mag 340
235 Posts
Welcome @gearhead1161. Glad to have you here. Sorry about your neck, but I would be willing to bet a lot of us on here took up the crossbow originally because of medical issues. It can be addictive for sure. The biggest thing in the beginning is to go slow and be safe. You get in a hurry you can cause an issue for the bow or yourself. Kind of like anything else I guess.

Keep us posted on your progress and post a pic of your new bow when it arrives.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome @gearhead1161. Glad to have you here. Sorry about your neck, but I would be willing to bet a lot of us on here took up the crossbow originally because of medical issues. It can be addictive for sure. The biggest thing in the beginning is to go slow and be safe. You get in a hurry you can cause an issue for the bow or yourself. Kind of like anything else I guess.

Keep us posted on your progress and post a pic of your new bow when it arrives.
Thank you for the welcome and I am so excited to get started. I have been watching all the videos that I can find on operating and maintaining a crossbow. So much info and looks like so much fun. I may not carry a firearm into the woods this year for hunting.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, first. I recieved my Wicked ridge raider. The instructions were generic and almost useless. LoL. Good thing I am a natural born gearhead. I got it assembled and cocked and decocked it. It's pretty easy. Second, I went to my local bow shop and eyeballed all their crossbow gear.(They have alot!) :) I'm heading back there tomorrow to buy some lighted nock bolts and some supplies. (rail lube etc.) Third, never and I repeat NEVER!!!!! Try the Paqui one chip challenge! I thought I was dying! LoL! I was on my hands and knees, sweating and asking God to forgive me and help me. He did! I'm still here. Last, Thank you to everyone who has thanked me for my service and welcomed me. P.S. I can't shoot it yet because of this stupid Hurricane!

· Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
998 Posts
Yes Sir!!
Welcome to the Nation. Thanks a million for YOUR service. (y)

You will find that there are several on this site that have a number of pins, plates and screws that ARE NOT original equipment.
And there is even a few here with "loose screws"!! 🤣😂🤣

Put your hand down Dirt...No one's talking about ya. Maybe! 🤪

Got a couple of buddies in N. Carolina that are waterlogged. Hope they have a good rain gear. :unsure:
I will warn you!! Crossbows can and will be addictive.
Stop now before it's too late!! 😏

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Yes Sir!!
Welcome to the Nation. Thanks a million for YOUR service. (y)

You will find that there are several on this site that have a number of pins, plates and screws that ARE NOT original equipment.
And there is even a few here with "loose screws"!! 🤣😂🤣

Put your hand down Dirt...No one's talking about ya. Maybe! 🤪

Got a couple of buddies in N. Carolina that are waterlogged. Hope they have a good rain gear. :unsure:
I will warn you!! Crossbows can and will be addictive.
Stop now before it's too late!! 😏
I literally have 8 titanium screws in my head n I’ve never ever even considered having them checked, maybe there is a few loose ones? 😂

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
17,172 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Thank you for your service.

Reactions: Colorado Crossbow

· Registered
31 Posts
I'm a retired Marine and longtime vertical bow hunter and recently (2-1/2 months ago) had 3 level acdf. Needless to say, shooting my vertical bows is complicated. I ordered a wicked ridge with the decock which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to start my crossbow journey. This forum has already yielded some good info to me. Looking forward to learning more.

Welcome the the nation and thank you for your service!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts