Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the center serving on the Rogue (I think) string that came on my DS and noticed some separation right in the center. So I thought I’d reserve it with some .036” AM and proceeded to remove it.

It was served CCW on a CCW twisted string, and started from the left side to right. I used my wife’s seam ripper, cut the serving coil, and started pulling the old serving off from the center. But I could see the tag was under the serving even at the middle.

Actually I found that the tag end ran all the way from the LH starting end and ran the full 6” length under the serving and stopped the last 3/4” of the serving (where the tag from the 15 wrap back wind on the RH side ended).

I’ve always followed Boo’s 15 wraps to start and pull hard on the tag end and trim it (I might an extra 1/4” just because).

How much tag end does everyone use when starting their center serving? Thanks.

·
Registered
938 Posts
About 20-25 wraps depending on serving size.

I've seen, and heard, serving tags extended to nearly the whole length of the serving. Generally it's just a personal preference, unless you're trying to intentionally increase the diameter of the serving. Doesn't hurt anything to do it that way.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
About 20-25 wraps depending on serving size.

I've seen, and heard, serving tags extended to nearly the whole length of the serving. Generally it's just a personal preference, unless you're trying to intentionally increase the diameter of the serving. Doesn't hurt anything to do it that way.

I split the string and put the tag end through it, then I do 3 wraps and pull everything tight then serve 13 additional wraps as tight as possible then pull the tag end one more time to make sure its tight.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I run 18 wraps at serving start n leave tagend out as i serve. I do same at the end

Reactions: samt

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I twist my strings ccw & i start serve on the right side & serve to the left

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I split the string and put the tag end through it, then I do 3 wraps and pull everything tight then serve 13 additional wraps as tight as possible then pull the tag end one more time to make sure its tight.
I do pretty much the same, just like Boo’s video.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I do pretty much the same, just like Boo’s video.
I think the most critical part is putting the 3 wraps then tighten because of pulling everything together at the start. If the serving is not pulling against the wraps where it goes under them it can loosen.

So I take a 1/2 in wood dowel and wrap the tag end around it so when I have finished with the 16 wraps I pull it as hard as I can ensuring the beginning point is very tight.

I do the same when I finish a string on the far end. I back serve 16 wraps then using forceps I hold the loop and wrap the tag end around the wood dowel. Then I apply pressure on the loop as I pull the tag end. The forceps have a small point so as the loop gets smaller It slips up the forceps at the last second it comes off the loop as it pulls under the windings. The I put my big ole butt on it to pull it as tight as possible

Reactions: blizzy and samt

·
9,052 Posts
I do my servings ... by calling 1-800-MARTY. :p 😂 ;)

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
The first string i ever made didnt have any twists in it and it shot great. I wouldn't recommend it. The twists are there for multiple reasons but I figured if I'm going to learn how to make a good string the right way, I need to know what making a bad string the wrong way is. I tried making strings in every way imaginable to find out it's exact mechanism and what makes it a good string and why. I tried various kinds of meathods to apply servings. By doing this I gained a good insight as to how the individual strands behave while the serving is being applied. I dissected many factory strings to see how the pros do it. It was an interesting time back then, learning how.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As you can see, that cat is getting skinned many different ways!

Yep its still a skinned cat

·
1,728 Posts
If you run your tag end full length, the string twist cannot put more twist in the serving and wind it up tighter.
If you are serving right to left, put or push back to the right on the serving tool to ensure serving wrap to serving wrap contact.
I agree with Jerry, the start is important, but just as important as the end. If you don't start it right or end it right, it doesn't matter what you do in between.
I'm not getting involved with the CW/CCW discussion, in most threads it goes side ways. It is all obvious enough that it is not in need of discussion. The more you talk about it, the more people are confused. It is a communication issue. All you guys have to do is take a threaded rod, put a nut on each end and turn them. That is how I got a good friend in Arkansas to understand. The silence was rewarding! ;)

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All you guys have to do is take a threaded rod, put a nut on each end and turn them.
Best description I’ve read to date.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts