Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finely got my hands on the new CenterPoint CP400 crossbow after months of waiting. If I had to define this bow with minimal words I would call it an engineering marvel. I've been playing with crossbows dating back to the earls 80's and this thing is about as advanced as it gets. The bow cost me just under $800 and I believe it to be worthy of the price. I chose this bow for the fact its very compact without being bullpup short as I'm a bigger guy and it feels right in the shoulder. Shooting off hand its very stable with no tendency to tilt side to side as there is no outboard mass to contend with, it feels very rifle like. I will list my measured specs but I want to speak to how it feels, looks and acts. With an average of 12 arrows 10 feet off of a chronograph using the 400 grain arrows built for this bow I averaged 396 fps. Its surprisingly quiet and has zero vibration for a bow wound up this tight.
The supplied cocking sled is an absolute must for this bow as I dare to say it cant be cocked without it by any means. The sled is machined aluminum with brass rollers and very well made. With the sled design you have no choice but to cock the bow perfect every time as it doesn't allow you to cock off center. I've never been a fan of cocking sleds but I gotta say I like this one. The bow cocks smooth and has no tendency of string lift off of the rail as the sled and rope anchor point force it down to the rail.
The trigger feels better than prior CenterPoint triggers as I believe there to be less creep. The safety is automatically engaged while cocking and has a positive feel when disengaged without a loud audible click I so hate. The anti dry fire mechanism works flawlessly but I choose not to discuss how I know that as we have all done it before.
The supplied scope is a 3x32 with aim points from 20 yards to 100 yards in 10 yard increments. The claim is that if you use the recommended arrows and sight it in to 20 yards that its set out to 100 yards using the aim points. I was amazed that for once a claim is actually correct and not hype. Baring wind the drop is spot on out to 1oo yards and every where in between, I'm impressed for once.
The bow itself is well thought out in its construction, they went machining happy on this bow with very clean lines and no mill marks. The fit and finish almost makes the $800 price tag ok in my mind. The camo dip looks very nice and the logo graphics are present without being gaudy. The supplied three arrow quiver and mount are of nice quality, quick detach mountable from side to side with no wiggle or vibration.
This is not a bow to try and shoot groups with if under 50 yards as you will be ruining arrows as I did. It is easy to shoot offhand and scary accurate from a bench. The folding cocking stirrup is plenty big enough to allow a hunting boot into it and doubles as a bipod, I'm liking this option.
The stock is normal and nothing that stands out in my opinion. The adjustable buttstock has a little wiggle to it but makes no noise during the shot cycle as its in your shoulder.
The factory specs are as such. 400 fps I found to be pretty close. 200 lbs draw. 142 ft lbs energy and the math says its true. 13" power stroke. 7.8 lbs mine is within half an ounce to the light side. Length 31.75". 6" cocked and 10.5 uncocked.
All in all I am pretty impressed with the bow for the money and the performance. I'm thinking I have myself the perfect blind or tree stand bow without spending over $2000.
thumbnail (9).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg
IMG_4188.jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
Sounds like CP has yet ANOTHER great crossbow. Thanks for youre report and congrats on your new bow.;):)

·
Crossbow Nut
2,841 Posts
I finely got my hands on the new CenterPoint CP400 crossbow after months of waiting. If I had to define this bow with minimal words I would call it an engineering marvel. I've been playing with crossbows dating back to the earls 80's and this thing is about as advanced as it gets. The bow cost me just under $800 and I believe it to be worthy of the price. I chose this bow for the fact its very compact without being bullpup short as I'm a bigger guy and it feels right in the shoulder. Shooting off hand its very stable with no tendency to tilt side to side as there is no outboard mass to contend with, it feels very rifle like. I will list my measured specs but I want to speak to how it feels, looks and acts. With an average of 12 arrows 10 feet off of a chronograph using the 400 grain arrows built for this bow I averaged 396 fps. Its surprisingly quiet and has zero vibration for a bow wound up this tight.
The supplied cocking sled is an absolute must for this bow as I dare to say it cant be cocked without it by any means. The sled is machined aluminum with brass rollers and very well made. With the sled design you have no choice but to cock the bow perfect every time as it doesn't allow you to cock off center. I've never been a fan of cocking sleds but I gotta say I like this one. The bow cocks smooth and has no tendency of string lift off of the rail as the sled and rope anchor point force it down to the rail.
The trigger feels better than prior CenterPoint triggers as I believe there to be less creep. The safety is automatically engaged while cocking and has a positive feel when disengaged without a loud audible click I so hate. The anti dry fire mechanism works flawlessly but I choose not to discuss how I know that as we have all done it before.
The supplied scope is a 3x32 with aim points from 20 yards to 100 yards in 10 yard increments. The claim is that if you use the recommended arrows and sight it in to 20 yards that its set out to 100 yards using the aim points. I was amazed that for once a claim is actually correct and not hype. Baring wind the drop is spot on out to 1oo yards and every where in between, I'm impressed for once.
The bow itself is well thought out in its construction, they went machining happy on this bow with very clean lines and no mill marks. The fit and finish almost makes the $800 price tag ok in my mind. The camo dip looks very nice and the logo graphics are present without being gaudy. The supplied three arrow quiver and mount are of nice quality, quick detach mountable from side to side with no wiggle or vibration.
This is not a bow to try and shoot groups with if under 50 yards as you will be ruining arrows as I did. It is easy to shoot offhand and scary accurate from a bench. The folding cocking stirrup is plenty big enough to allow a hunting boot into it and doubles as a bipod, I'm liking this option.
The stock is normal and nothing that stands out in my opinion. The adjustable buttstock has a little wiggle to it but makes no noise during the shot cycle as its in your shoulder.
The factory specs are as such. 400 fps I found to be pretty close. 200 lbs draw. 142 ft lbs energy and the math says its true. 13" power stroke. 7.8 lbs mine is within half an ounce to the light side. Length 31.75". 6" cocked and 10.5 uncocked.
All in all I am pretty impressed with the bow for the money and the performance. I'm thinking I have myself the perfect blind or tree stand bow without spending over $2000. View attachment 157054 View attachment 157056 View attachment 157058 View attachment 157060 View attachment 157062 View attachment 157064
Randy, lots of negative comments on the trig, is CP going to improve it?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not measured the trigger but believe it to be better than previous CenterPoint triggers.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I have not measured the trigger but believe it to be better than previous CenterPoint triggers.
Well, not really. There is alot to like about this xbow but of the 3 new 2019 ManKung built bows from CP, it tops the pack with an 8+ lb trigger break in contrast to the others at 4-5 lbs. All of them have the same Gen 2 trigger box so the standard 5/8" trigger creep exists in each of them. I don't think the "engineers" looked closely enough at the limb pressure and string angle before signing off on this one. It's a nice affordable ultra narrow bow setup but the heavy trigger scares folks away from it an alarmingly high rate. CP knows this but as of the first part of this month they don't have an answer for a fix or if it will be changed in 2020. My guess is they will do something about it but the current xbow's trigger setup may be all you see for the next 6 months or so.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've been debating between this one and a wicked ridge RDX 400....at this point I may just hold off until after shot show and see what 2020 brings

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I've been debating between this one and a wicked ridge RDX 400....at this point I may just hold off until after shot show and see what 2020 brings
I like the RDX 400 for sure. It's fast and RDX and reasonably narrow but just not amazing by today's xbow standards. I've setup several for friends this year and my brother in law just got one and he loves it. If it were me, I'd hold on to my Benjamins for a bit. See what ShotShow and ATA offer early next year.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I like the RDX 400 for sure. It's fast and RDX and reasonably narrow but just not amazing by today's xbow standards. I've setup several for friends this year and my brother in law just got one and he loves it. If it were me, I'd hold on to my Benjamins for a bit. See what ShotShow and ATA offer early next year.
yeah...really not in a rush...just got to thinking a couple days ago (when my Gladiator 405 split a limb) that having 2 bows might be a good idea. But Centerpoint has already shipped my replacement limbs so I should have it back tomorrow. I'll just hunt with it the rest of the year and see what comes out for 2020

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tell ya what...if any of these companies would offer a bare bow, that would go a long way with me, instead of forcing me to buy their packages with worthless crap that I will be replacing anyways

·
Crossbow Nut
2,841 Posts
A friend and I went to Dunham's Sports in Cadillac, MI yesterday to see what all the CP400 fuss was all about.

We handled and looked it over real good and were impressed with it, but unfortunately, they don't have a facility where you can shoot, so sadly, couldn't try the trigger, which has been said to be creepy and heavy.

Other than that, I give it high marks for workmanship, it really seems like a good bow, but I'm used to recurve simplicity with a TT trig, so talk of 8 pound pulls is keeping me away from this until this issue is fixed.

One thing I noticed was the bottom releasing claws which I have always found to be easier on servings than top releasing claws, but with that horrendous string angle, all bets could be off.

I'm not nuts about that moveable stirrup but maybe could get used to it; at least it's tight and doesn't flop around. No bow has features that are universally loved by everyone.

The scope the 400 comes with seemed above average compared to what comes with most MK packages, and is claimed to be matched to the bow speedwise. The reticles are circles like some of the Hawkes used to have. I would be willing to giving it a fair test before rejecting it out of hand.

The arrows are carbon, and the cocking sled was out of view, so didn't get to look that over at all.

I'm a recurve diehard but was considering this narrow bow for shooting out of an Ameristep chair blind, but that trigger will have to be fixed before I would seriously consider one.

Reading the manual, I found A 5 YEAR WARRANTY that is VOIDED for using aftermarket strings and cables; strings that are RECOMMENDED TO BE REPLACED EVERY 2 YEARS OR 300 SHOTS. MK factory servings are notorious for separation, but maybe these will be better.

I tried to post the user's manual but got an error message saying the file was too large, but you can find it on the CP site.

·
Crossbow Nut
2,841 Posts
Can you decock it?
Don't know, I doubt it; it has an ADF that would have to be defeated with a short piece of arrow shaft, and a cocking sled, so trying to decock might be a real cartoon show.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
225 Posts
Don't know, I doubt it; it has an ADF that would have to be defeated with a short piece of arrow shaft, and a cocking sled, so trying to decock might be a real cartoon show.
I could decock my excalibur with an ADF...centerpoint sniper 370 has ADF and is decockable...my gladiator 405 has ADF and IS NOT decockable...just depends on ADF design. Never had a bow with a sled so no idea about that

·
Crossbow Nut
2,841 Posts
Can you decock it?
After having one of these bows, decocking is a definite NO. Had a cocking sled break while I was cocking it, and I can envision no scenario in which decocking would be safe, or even possible with that string angle/sled combination. Fact is, I might be overthinking it now, but after that cocking fiasco, I have been extremely gun-shy about even COCKING the thing to shoot it at all. CP/Ravin was great replacing the broken limbs, wheels, string, cables, and sled, especially since I bought it used, but after that, this bow is only going to get cocked a few times, and that would be to sight in with broadheads, and to hunt with. I like to shoot and for me, this bow is not pleasurable to shoot.
JMO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts