Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very limited funds to purchase a crossbow at this time but I saw the Tyro on sale for $75. Is this worth considering for deer hunting or not? Thanks for your comments in advance.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I have very limited funds to purchase a crossbow at this time but I saw the Tyro on sale for $75. Is this worth considering for deer hunting or not? Thanks for your comments in advance.
I've been pretty impressed with the products from CenterPoint and this looks like something worth a $75 gamble. But only gamble on how well it shoots. Don't put a deer at risk if it won't perform. If it's not accurate EVERY time, find another home for it and step up to a $200 xbow (Sniper 370 in black) that will do the job.

The arrow speed is fair at 245 with a 420 gn arrow and that will defiantly do the job with a well placed arrow. If you can shoot it accurately to 30 yards I think you have something to work with. I'd suggest getting some good quality carbon arrows which will run you $6-10 an arrow. Also go to the Excalibur page and read some of the tricks to cocking a recurve crossbow consistently. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My first and only crossbow deer kill was with a SA Sport Fever recurve 175lb draw. At 20 yards it made a complete pass through. As far as accuracy it’s a tack driver. Just be sure of your shot and distance. I now use a Tormenter. This is my second season with it and haven’t killed anything with it yet. I still get excited when I take it hunting.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Ive killed many a deer with verts that shot 245 fps. Just let 'em get in close, stay undetected, and aim carefully.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts