Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Volt 300 for my teenage son ahead of archery season here and was excited to get out and shoot it after being impressed with my Sniper 370. My experience with the Volt 300 has been poor, to say the least. After assembling it and making sure everything was torqued properly, we went out to the range to test fire. The trigger was horribly defective. I squeezed and it wouldn't budge. Double checked to make sure the safety was disengaged. Same issue. Trigger won't budge. Put the cocking device back on to pull and reset, thinking maybe I short stroked it before. Same deal. Trigger won't budge. Only after I put two fingers on the trigger and bore down on it, white knuckle-style, did the thing finally release. Tried it again, same thing. Tried again, and it was a little lighter, but still way too heavy. Several more attempts yielded a couple of times where the trigger seemed to work great, others where it was way too hard, and once it released with barely any pressure at all. It alternately behaved as a single-stage trigger, then as a two-stage.

Something is very wrong inside that trigger mechanism. I emailed Crosman support and waited many days, and one or two more follow ups before someone replied. I was polite, but explained how it was malfunctioning. I was told that "not everyone likes our triggers," and I could take it to a local shop to have it looked at, or ship back to them (on my dime) and they'd look to see if it was a warranty issue. Well, I don't feel like I should have to pay to send it to them. I asked for a pre-paid shipping label. No response. I sent another not explaining the issue in further detail, and asking for a pre-paid shipping label. I was again told to take it to a local shop, or I cold send it back to them (again, on my dime). So I went to a local shop and asked them to look at it. Their reply was, "honestly, we send them back to Crosman for trigger repairs. So you're better off just sending it back to them. I let Crosman know this and have heard nothing back after more than a week.

I'm pretty frustrated with Crosman over it. I don't think i'm being unreasonable. They sold a defective product. I just expect them to fix it and that I shouldn't have to pay anything for that, as it's their issue not mine.

At this point, I've purchased a Barnett Jackal for my son to use this deer season. It's a superior crossbow in every way. So my question here is this: has anyone cracked into one of these triggers enough to know whether or not it's something I could try to take on myself? Or do I just throw the thing out and call it a loss, never to deal with CenterPoint/Crosman again?

·
Crossbow Nut
3,139 Posts
Some companies used to send labels, but now most companies require you send it on your dime.
Don't attempt a trigger repair yourself, it's under warranty, give them a chance to fix it before you start slamming them. I have always found their service top notch, but they can't fix it if they don't have it.

Reactions: Gabowman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some companies used to send labels, but now most companies require you send it on your dime.
Don't attempt a trigger repair yourself, it's under warranty, give them a chance to fix it before you start slamming them. I have always found their service top notch, but they can't fix it if they don't have it.
What I wrote is not slamming them. I can do that, though, based on my experience. It’s my prerogative. Their response times have been remarkably slow, and the responses have never directly addressed my concern.

I absolutely do not think it is unreasonable to expect them to fix a faulty product at no cost to me.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,139 Posts
What I wrote is not slamming them. I can do that, though, based on my experience. It’s my prerogative. Their response times have been remarkably slow, and the responses have never directly addressed my concern.

I absolutely do not think it is unreasonable to expect them to fix a faulty product at no cost to me.
Ok, let's try again. I did NOT say you slammed them, what I DID say was "...give them a chance to fix it BEFORE you start slamming them...". I do apologize for not being more clear.
I would probably be steamed in your circumstance as well, but the new reality is...longer response times. Another new reality is... sending the bow in on your dime, right or wrong.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had better luck calling them on the phone. They took care of an issue I had with my Patriot 415.

Reactions: bofos

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow, bummer! I own two of them bows and yeah the triggers sewk mule balls, but never had THAT problem.

Good luck. oh yeah, and I would be interested in any trigger fixes, too.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Wow, bummer! I own two of them bows and yeah the triggers sewk mule balls, but never had THAT problem.

Good luck. oh yeah, and I would be interested in any trigger fixes, too.
Talk with Rich....A.K.A. TX_RDXguy

Reactions: bofos and TigerMack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, let's try again. I did NOT say you slammed them, what I DID say was "...give them a chance to fix it BEFORE you start slamming them...". I do apologize for not being more clear.
I would probably be steamed in your circumstance as well, but the new reality is...longer response times. Another new reality is... sending the bow in on your dime, right or wrong.
No worries. Maybe I'll give them a call, as was suggested by someone else.

I do think sending the bow on my dime is wrong when it's their issue (as I would with any product, but I'm just an old-school guy), and I'll continue to share my feelings on that with them. I guess when it comes down to it, they'll do what they think is best, and I'll vote with my checkbook. In the end, we can both say we were straight with each other.

I'm disappointed in the trigger situation, though. I know based on my experience with my Sniper 370 that perhaps CenterPoint's triggers aren't their strong suit, but this isn't a simple matter of having a trigger I don't prefer, as they suggested. It's malfunctioning and unsafe as is. It's too bad.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Try this and be diplomatic because this guy will help. Email Chuck Manfree. He's one of a few folks doing remote Customer Service for CenterPoint. Chuck's email is: [email protected].

From your description, something is broke or has gotten inside the trigger assembly and jamed it. I've fixed more than one trigger that was fine when it left the POS but somehow got a screw, small nail or BB inside the trigger box. That can happen as well.

The shop that said they send in their bows with trigger issues to CenterPoint may be pulling your leg. CenterPoint will send replacement parts to any real dealer, often to the customer if it's a bolt-on item.

Centerpoint triggers in the ManKung made xbows function fine and are made from quality components. Yes, they have a "way-to-long" pull and are heavier than they should be but the quality is not an issue. The PoeLang line of bows, which are their lower cost bows are of less quality all around so a failure is very possible.

Reach out to Chuck and see how he responds. I doubt they will send a call tag but see what Chuck might do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts