Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think your speed and trajectory would change if you changed just your cables and not the string? Thank You

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Do you think your speed and trajectory would change if you changed just your cables and not the string? Thank You
It's all about the science...... String and cable stretch on a compound bow will affect axle to axle distances and the geometry of the whole bow setup. If cable stretch is significant, a new set could produce higher bow speeds and to some degree affect speed and trajectory. I doubt it would be significant if it's simply a normal wear condition.

Reactions: beanie

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have noticed if a string is a little thicker that it will affect trajectory just wasnt sure if thicker cables would do the same

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
It really shouldn't in either case unless the thickness is so much that it is creating friction on the cams or slides.

Reactions: beanie

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Compound or xbow, when i'm changing strings or cables, i'm doing them as a set. May be just me.
That's a good genera rule Tony but some of the the hyper narrow bows today eat center servings every 150-200 shots and cables are far from needing replacement at that point.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
So let’s get down to answering the exact question asked. For the record speed is trajectory over any given distance.
Changing cables will always effect a number of factors that in turn will always affect the speed of a crossbow unless precautions are taken to avoid the problems.

Changing cables will always affect the ATA (Axle to Axle) string measurement of your crossbow, so before you begin you would want to know what the factory ATA is for your make and model crossbow.

Also, the Cable directly affect the timing of your cams. You want to know the exact timing mark positions in order to synchronize one cam to the other. This is done by adding or removing cable twists to each cam one at a time until each cam is in its factory alignment position.

These adjustments are going to have an effect on the ATA of the string, so you may need to add or remove twists to your string until you are as close as possible to the factory ATA measurement.

These changes, once completed will almost always require you to re-zero your scope at 20 yards and again at 60 yards, if shooting with an HHA Optimizer Speed Dial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts