Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going with 125 grain slick trick magnums this year.
Should hold up better than my rage 2 blade did last year.
Have read they are tough and accurate.

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,509 Posts
We still use Slick tricks with a couple of our setups. Very good head. Flight, penetration and durability all in one package.
Good luck to you this fall.
Oncebitten

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Going with 125 grain slick trick magnums this year.
Should hold up better than my rage 2 blade did last year.
Have read they are tough and accurate.
What issues did you have with the Rage heads if you don't mind me asking..?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What issues did you have with the Rage heads if you don't mind me asking..?
Last year I had a blade break off on impact on a quartering away 15 yard shot that went through both lungs.
Luckily I saw it go down a couple hundred yards away.
Was shooting my old excal equinox at 310 fps with a 455 grain arrow.
I usually hunt with a mission charge at 355 fps using the same arrow and broadheads.
Have got a lot of bucks with the rage 2 and 3 blade heads but never liked having to be real careful about putting them back into my mission quiver so they don't come open.
When they don't have blade breaks there's good blood trails.
I've read the slick trick magnums are accurate,very durable and penetrate through both sides.
If they don't work I might go back to rages but use the 4 blade extremes since the coc blade should hold up if the swing blades break.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I shot the excal. bolt cutters last fall. They fly true but they make a small entrance and exit hole. I'm shooting the Sevr 2.0 Robusto broadhead. They fly great and make great entrance and even bigger exit hole.😁

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Blades are not nearly as good as the original tricks (before 'ol hoot owl changed to that German crap) but as long as you dont care about the blades after they hit bone, you are good to go. They fly great.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Last year I had a blade break off on impact on a quartering away 15 yard shot that went through both lungs.
I usually hunt with a mission charge at 355 fps using the same arrow and broadheads.
Have got a lot of bucks with the rage 2 and 3 blade heads but never liked having to be real careful about putting them back into my mission quiver so they don't come open.
I've read the slick trick magnums are accurate,very durable and penetrate through both sides.
If they don't work I might go back to rages but use the 4 blade extremes since the coc blade should hold up if the swing blades break.
I dont shoot rage or have any skin in the game but a lot of blades will break going in between ribs especially quartering away makes gap between ribs tighter. But yes having to worry all the time about them opening is why I wouldn't like them

Reactions: whitetailzombie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the thing about mechanical heads there's a chance something might not work well but fixed heads hold together.
I used the 150 grain excal heads that came with my equinox for a few years and they worked great except one time I was back a little on a big buck and got liver on a broadside shot.
My son and I found it way out in a huge corn field after we looked for hours.
The small diameter 3 blade didn't leave a good blood trail and petered out.
Started using the rages after that.
I remember using Fred Bear broadheads for years when I started bow hunting.
Broadheads sure have changed in the last 40 years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
SlickTrick Mags are great broadheads for sure. I've killed a ton of deer with them over the years. They have now been relegated to my backup broadheads, however.

With that said, and no intent of bashing you or your findings here, I will add this.

For the last few years I have killed a lot of deer with the regular Rage Hypos with the black collars, the ones made for vertical bows. I do not recall breaking one blade. I've bent many blades, but never had one break, that I know of, from passing through a deer. And believe me, I've taken may hard angle shots with a few different vertical bows as well as different crossbows. Its also very rocky here. The ground in this part of the county seems to grow more limestone than trees.

I have had many SlickTrick blades break. Well, its more like chip off than actually breaking, for the most part, but not always. I've come to accept broken and or bent blades as it is. With the Rage blades, they are very difficult to resharpen IMO, where as the SlickTrick blades can be done with a little work. So, its basically a one shot and done for the Rage blades where as the trick blades can sometimes be reused.

The good thing is, both the Hypos and Tricks have tough ferrules so they can often be reused.

Anyway, my .02.

·
1,704 Posts
Used Slicks for years...Didn't know they changed hands? I tried Magnus Ser-Razors last year..They fly as good and hold up very nice..You can resharpen forever, and they do a considerable amount of Damage...I am sticking with them this year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shot a coyote yesterday at 30 yards and found a slight amount of blood and meat on the arrow and some white hair.
He was about to get away and took a little bit hurried shot.
Arrow was buried in swamp grass and mud.
No damage at all on slick trick or arrow.
I saw him run like a bat out of hell for 50 yards back into the cornfield after the arrow knocked him down.
No blood trail to follow.
Maybe a wide cut mechanical would have done better but he won't be back anytime soon or ever.

·
Registered
Centerpoint Sniper 370
113 Posts
A lot of people like Swhackers. They have a few different models. I'm using the Chinadermics. Haven't put one through a deer yet. But they fly well out to 40. Didn't shoot past that.

·
Registered
Mission Sub-1
887 Posts
I theoretically think mechanicals can out perform fixed heads. There are however many dynamics to to be considered.
I shoot a sub1 448 gr arrow 345ish fps.
I tried the truglow titanium x last year with less than desirable results, almost did not find one deer and did lose another. Broadside sjots on both double lung @20 yds on the one revovered. I know for a fact it did not fully deploy. Upon inspection I had to assume that particular bh requires much higher speed to fully deploy..?
Consequently I went back to the fixed blade Ramcat Hydroshock used previously again with great results; they do not however have the same poi as my practice tips.
All this having been said I am still intreaqued with mechanicals. And would really like to shoot those that truly have the same poi as practice tips and fully deploy. With my limited knowledge on the subject I'm thinking my set up requires a front opening mechanical as opposed to the rear opening type such as the TG I tried.
And of course all the manufacturers say theirs will.
My quest continues...
Cheers!
WTZ

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I've thought about trying swackers.
My quiver doesn't have 2 rubber arrow holders and most mechanicals have blades towards the front and can hit the foam trying to insert them when dark out.
The 3 blade swackers look good and have the blades back far enough on the ferrule to work I think.
The slick tricks fit tight
in the foam and fly like FP's to 50 yards.
I haven't had a need to shoot past 35 yards in the past but probably could make a 50 yard shot since my xbow shoots the slick tricks around 2 inch groups at that distance.
Don't want to chance it though.
For me it's better to let em go and wait for another opportunity.
There's always gun and muzzle loader season for shooting farther out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts