Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had some good deer on camera since we got our hands on this piece of property back in the summer. With that being said, I still haven;t got on the board this year. I'll be heading out this afternoon and then tomorrow again, hoping to put a big guy in the dirt, but am mainly focused on getting meat in the freezer. Who else is hunting Okla from the forum?
23434962_145907679371547_852969046629386889_n.jpg
MFDC3298.JPG
MFDC3325.JPG
PICT0061.JPG
Oct1504.jpg

Reactions: SWAMP DONKEY

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
You have some nice deer there....even the does. Good luck with 'em and welcome to the boards. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No luck today on a big bruiser, but I was able to get on the board and score my first deer down with my new crossbow. I had an 8 pt. buck at 35 yrds at 0745 hrs, an just as I was lining up a shot a coyote spooked him. I went to plan B, which was shooting the yote, but he never presented a shot. I decided to be patient and at 0835 hrs this little doe wandered into my line of sight. She was at 35 yards with a corn pile between us. She suddenly stomped a couple of times while looking to my west, aand then blew a couple of times in the same direction. I lowered my eyes and sat totally still for a couple of mins. I peeked up, out the front window of my blind, and she was gone. I continues to stare at the ground and sit still as I could be. After 5 mins I looked up again and this time she was 10 yrds straight in front of me, staring directly at me. I continued to sit still and something to my east caught her attention. She turned her head in that direction, I raised the xbow and squeezed a shot off. She immediately hit the ground where she stood. Shot placement was a tad forward and I got BOTH shoulders. The NAP Killzome put her in the dirt. Not the trophies that I know that are out there, but this little slick head will eat just fine.
23472231_146908899271425_6599597892389291758_n.jpg
23517990_146908935938088_3882856011480915351_n.jpg
photo-01.jpeg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm hunting NE Oklahoma near Claremore. Using an Excalibur Exomax crossbow.
Bill

Reactions: okieshiner918

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm hunting NE Oklahoma near Claremore. Using an Excalibur Exomax crossbow.
Bill
I love Claremore! We actually hunt close to Skiatook though. Good luck this year!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another Okie checking in. I live just east of OKC but I'm hunting this year near Calvin. Haven't yet had any luck with my crossbow but my 30-30 does the job each year. Still eager for that first crossbow kill.

Nice doe by the way!

Good luck to all out there!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Congrats on your deer

Reactions: okieshiner918

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Confusing year. Does anyone else think that the weather may have affected the rut this year? We haven't seen any real definitive sign that it happened. I've read others say that it's over with, others say it hasn't started, and others saying that full rut is happening right now. So.... what say you, Okies????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Confusing year. Does anyone else think that the weather may have affected the rut this year? We haven't seen any real definitive sign that it happened. I've read others say that it's over with, others say it hasn't started, and others saying that full rut is happening right now. So.... what say you, Okies????
Here in Southeast Oklahoma, we have thick cover and plenty of acorns on the ground so the majority of the big bucks we see on the trail cameras are nocturnal. When we start seeing them make appearances in the daytime, we figure the rut is at it's peak. For us, that was a couple weeks ago. That's just what we go by, anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here in Southeast Oklahoma, we have thick cover and plenty of acorns on the ground so the majority of the big bucks we see on the trail cameras are nocturnal. When we start seeing them make appearances in the daytime, we figure the rut is at it's peak. For us, that was a couple weeks ago. That's just what we go by, anyway.
Yeah, well it has me baffled up here in NE Okla. We still have yet to see any REAL definitive sign that the rut took place yet. It's been a weird year for sure. We have tons of deer on the property and they have never acted like they were starting to show behavior that is typically seen. We sure can't figure it out. Not sure what to think. I'm gonna keep chasing them though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 38 Posts