Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to refletch some Ravin arrows. Is there a low cost method to check spine to find the stiffest point on a Ravin arrow or does one have to invest in an expensive spine tester? Appreciate any info.

·
Registered
Ravin R10/Hawke XB30 Compact 2-8 / R20
46 Posts
DYI is definitely the way to go. A gauge and roller blade bearings with a little work and a few other materials will produce a great tool. I made two, one for me and one for a friend. Had some pictures , however cannot find them right now.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yelpy, How does that work in terms of accurately identifying the correct spine location versus using a Spine Testing method? Can you elaborate on your exact process?

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
You could always mail them to someone with a spine checker and include return postage. I would think there’s a lot of us on here with a checker.

I used to find the spine in fishing rod blanks just by cupping them and by bending golf shafts set inside a piece of PVC tubing with 2 bearings.

I don’t think a crossbow shaft is limber enough to indicate the spine location other than with a regular spine checker.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Yelpy, How does that work in terms of accurately identifying the correct spine location versus using a Spine Testing method? Can you elaborate on your exact process?
I believe Ranch Fairy has a pretty good video on nock tuning with bare shafts, although he uses vertical compound.
steve

·
Registered
760 Posts
There are several threads on DIY spine testers. You can use the search feature to find them.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I thought Burky was making some but I don’t recall the cost.

I use to have the traditional 7mm wide bearings but switched over to the flange type thinking they might promote a tad more sensitivity .

Unknown.jpeg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice job BB. What is the amount of weight you use? I see you have 2 different weights.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thanks Insight. Nice job on your spine tester as well.
The heavier weight is used for stiffer spined arrows like Tapps and the lighter weight is used for BEEs.
I'll have to weigh them for you but I believe the most important thing is that you use enough weight to flex the arrow enough to get a good spine deflection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes I agree regarding weight. I had some extra lead around and I found a muffin pan that served as a great mold..... ( I don't think she has noticed it missing ! ) The rest excluding the bearings and the gauge were leftover materials I had from other projects.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts