Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Chrono'd three arrows today. :eek: Impressed!!!

1. Barnett HeadHunter at 380, grain
2. Zombie Slayer, 400grain
3. BloodSport Witness, 428grain

Folks, My Barnet TS370 is spec'd at 370fps with 380 grain arrow. Now two things I think are in play. Marty's string work. I read his strings add oomph/fps! The other variable, I believe, my riser is shimmed and has no downward bowstring pressure on my shooting rail. It's as close to friction free. Speed, minor but the serving will last a very, very long time. I'm done with all my shooting for a while. At least with this Xbow. 馃槑

Marty's string work is legit! His Serving is the highest quality I have ever seen on cable and bowstring loops. Worth every penny if you need new strings and cables for your crossbow. I am set for quite some time on this Xbow. I like to pay it forward to folks that really take their craft seriously. Great work, Marty! FYI: He made a set for my BearX IntenseCD. To be continued on that one. Farm Deer doing some cool things to that Xbow too. :p

HeadHunter Arrow: 380grain, 383fps, 385fps, 386fps

Zombie Slayer, 400 grain, 377fps, 378fps

BloodSport Witness Arrow 428grains, 368fps, 368fps duplicated

Registered
I'm glad to hear this Tom! I do my hardest to make sure my strings are top notch and take every step seriously and do not skip over any fine detail. This is the results of my labor and I'm happy for you. This makes it all worth it ! Every callus and cut in my hand is meaningless when I see these results in someone's bow that I made strings and cables for !
Thank you for posting this !

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I鈥檒l be shooting 368fps Bloodsport arrows. It will hit like a hammer!

Registered
Did you check your cam timing and take a chronograph reading on those arrows before
changing string and cables? Advancing cams will increase the speed, plus using the shims
should help as it reduces the downward pressure (friction) on the bow string when cocking
and shooting.
All the best.
Take care.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, Cams same position. However, I did have Marty make the cables 1/8" shorter so the ATA is slightly narrower.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well my Barnett TS370 is a legit pocket rocket thanks to your string work. Light enough to stalk with that packs some punch, shooting 425grain arrows at Whitetail, Mule Deer and Antelope. If you are a stalker Xbow weight become extremely valuable. My TS370 so far best meets that requirement. Add my SigSauer Red Dot and HHA Optimizer I'm at 7.92lbs for a sub $350 Xbow before I add on my accessories. Score!

Registered
How many strands of mercury are you using to build these strings for ts 370?
It varies because for some odd reason the black Mercury has thicker strands than the other colors. It is either the wax bloating the fibers or the way BCY is milling it but I try to keep them pretty thick due to the style nock and weight of the limbs. I used about 46 strands if I recall. The individual strands are very thin. I keep in mind that a thicker string might be slower but less chance of jumping the nock with the extra mass you can't miss.
It's not the material that gives a string it's weight, it's the wax that bloats the fibers.

Registered
I lost about 8 fps on mine - I think I鈥檓 using the same shafts but not 100% positive. I don鈥檛 recall having another set for the DS.

I did get the timing holes moved out to about 7/16鈥 from the limbs (most I鈥檝e ever had) and they are dead in sync uncocked. One of these days I鈥檒l shoot thru the chrony again.

DSCN1211.JPG
DSCN2362.JPG

"Nobody 鈥 does it better!"

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

Registered
Great test Tom. I took your info and put it into a ballistics calculator. This was my results:
1st setup was -5, -11, and -21 drop at 20, 30, and 40 yds.
2nd -5, -12, -21
3rd -5, -12, -22
Past 40 yds the drop will become more significant.
There is a lot of anxiety in the Crossbow community about speed and weight of arrows.
If the calculator is correct, there is no significant difference between the light arrow and heavy arrow up to 40 yds.
If I had a 90% chance of shooting a deer at 40 yds or less, I would use the heavier arrow since it will have more KE. Also, shooting the lightest arrow is not always the best for your equipment.
I think most of the time we focus too much on small stuff. I am guilty of that too.
We should focus more on impact instead of pure numbers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Great test Tom. I took your info and put it into a ballistics calculator. This was my results:
1st setup was -5, -11, and -21 drop at 20, 30, and 40 yds.
2nd -5, -12, -21
3rd -5, -12, -22
Past 40 yds the drop will become more significant.
There is a lot of anxiety in the Crossbow community about speed and weight of arrows.
If the calculator is correct, there is no significant difference between the light arrow and heavy arrow up to 40 yds.
If I had a 90% chance of shooting a deer at 40 yds or less, I would use the heavier arrow since it will have more KE. Also, shooting the lightest arrow is not always the best for your equipment.
I think most of the time we focus too much on small stuff. I am guilty of that too.
We should focus more on impact instead of pure numbers.
I agree completely in that 40 yard max range and heavier arrows. I saw little to no elevation changes between 125 grain 100 grain arrows. I did purchase 25 grain washers for my lighter BH.

Registered
Wanting to get the PPP dialed in at 25 yards, I set up in the driveway and got 370 fps and 369 fps respectively with the same bolt. However, weather history shows the temp back on 3/8/20 in the high 20鈥檚 for the 364 fps, and today it was 68潞, not sure what a 40潞 temp swing does to velocity.

But my timing marks are bit further out now than they were back in March but it will do for now.

DSCN2502.JPG

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well my Barnett TS370 is a legit pocket rocket thanks to your string work. Light enough to stalk with that packs some punch, shooting 425grain arrows at Whitetail, Mule Deer and Antelope. If you are a stalker Xbow weight become extremely valuable. My TS370 so far best meets that requirement. Add my SigSauer Red Dot and HHA Optimizer I'm at 7.92lbs for a sub $350 Xbow before I add on my accessories. Score!
Correction, I just weighed my setup again. My Xbow weights 7.62 lbs with HHA Optimizer and SigSauer Romeo5 Red Dot Sight. Soon to be sent to Farm Deer for Carbon Express CCD adapter possibly another new add on. I can buy any xbow I want but this Xbow reminds me why I don't pull the trigger. It's such great shooter. The weight vs speed performance exceeds my expectations. Adding the CCD is going to be a great addition.

Marty, your string work is so darn good!

Registered
1 - 20 of 22 Posts