Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching these again, I had ancient ones a few years ago and didn't like them. Now, I have watched a lot of videos on them and read reviews, but id like some real world opinions on some of these. I am looking for reasonable light weight, less than 20 lbs, simple to set up in dark and of course safe as you can get. I already have a nice harness system to use for it, but none of my local stores sell these things, or only sell a couple. What do you use and why do you like it? Any tips would be appreciated.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
5,426 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
http://www.cougarclawusa.com/
http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/
These stands are not cheap but there made of aluminum if you're looking for something 20 pounds and under. I've seen the treewalker at the Ohio deer and turkey expo and was very impressived with it.
I currently have three climbing tree stands one steel stand and two aluminum. The steel Stand is very heavy, probably weighs 35 pounds. It's got summits sling seat on it and it's comfortable and quiet great for sitting all day during the rut.I leave it locked on a tree on my lease all season. One aluminum stand I have on some private property, I leave that locked on a tree also and I keep a timbertall climber in my vehicle at all times it's very lightweight but they don't make them anymore. Lb

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use a treewalker. Rock solid. Large platform. Super comfy seat. The one with the shooting rail is great for a crossbow. I keep a cammo apron bungeed up on the rail which I release when I get up for extra concealment.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also on Treewalker. It fits trees for 6 inch to 26 inch diameter. 26 inches is a BIG tree. Gives you lots of options. Its not a run and gun set. The big size means its hard if you go through heavy brush..otherwise it packs fine....it also uses clips to hook up to tree...so order an extra set because you'll eventually lose one. If you are more interested in stealth and not concerned about comfort...check at lone wolf sit and climb

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been looking at the goliath, I'm big so some of those smaller stands aren't going to work for me, the lone wolf is an option to, was trying to stay lighter, I don't tend to sit long periods of time. I like hitting it 1.5 hours before last shooting light, so ill pre pick my trees and mark the way in and out, just don't want to be trying to carry to much crap every day, still, for public land hunting this is a great opportunity to hit some places I don't dare leave a stand out in. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: chad Cagle

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I have been looking at the goliath, I'm big so some of those smaller stands aren't going to work for me, the lone wolf is an option to, was trying to stay lighter, I don't tend to sit long periods of time. I like hitting it 1.5 hours before last shooting light, so ill pre pick my trees and mark the way in and out, just don't want to be trying to carry to much crap every day, still, for public land hunting this is a great opportunity to hit some places I don't dare leave a stand out in. Thanks for your input.
I'm not long but carry 240 lbs respectably ;). The Goliath works well for me and I am up in it 5-6 hours at a time and if I dress right, I stay very comfortable. Typically I go 20-30 feet and bring along extra cloths, wear a HSS harness and have a fanny pack with "stuff" in. Add 10+ lbs of Xbow or rifle and I'm sure I'm pushing 275 total weight. Summit specifies 20" tree diameters but I've been in pines 25"+ diameter with no issue. I'm pretty pleased with it.

·
Registered
911 Posts

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I am turning 67 in Dec. about 5'11" at 160 lbs. Have had rotator cuff surgery on right shoulder and quadruple bypass heart surgery three years ago. I carry a Summit Viper every day I hunt which is basically everyday the season is open and never leave my stand in the woods. I would not consider any other stand as the Summit is easy to carry, easy to set up, easy to climb with and downright comfortable once in place.
Whatever you decide in a climber buy the tree stand stabilizer straps from Third Hand Archery. Theu are great for locking down a stand to a tree and great for packing up a stand tight also.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Another vote for the Goliath. I got mine when I weighed 250#'s and even with winter clothing on there was enough room for me and my stuff. Comfortable aint even the word as it's just PLAIN HARD to stay awake in this thing it sits so good.:) Hardly any noise when climbing or decending, fairly lightweight, and packs together good. Oh...and forgot to mention....NEVER SLIPS either. You can stand out on the very corner and the stand doesn't even act like it will move. I'll never have anything else.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm not able to climb anymore, but of the climbing stands I've owned, I do believe the Tree Lounge was my favorite one. Only problem was, while I was asleep in it, no telling how many deer walked by snickering at me. :)

Bobby

·
Registered
263 Posts
what if you could build it yourself like i did? cheap and solid...
are you good in tinkering?

·
716 Posts
X2 on the API Grand Slam, been using mine also for 20 + years with no worries. There are three of us at camp who have them and all have the same opinion. The only thing I have done to it is replace the chains for my own piece of mind.
Best of luck this upcoming season and be safe

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too like the APIs. I also own a Lone Wolf wide sit and climb and I've hunted out of my buddies Summit. Been using the APIs for 25+ years and my first GSS (Grand Slam Supreme) was stolen out of my truck. I've since adopted my fathers GSS and also bought another API climber. I like to have multiple climbers, since I may leave one at the base of a tree in hopes of returning the following morning, but then change my mind and decide to hunt another location.

The Summits are nice too, I just don't like their cable system. The gaps are too far apart. One the API chains I actually drill out the holes in the tubing in order to utilize all the holes in the chain. I like to have my top and bottom relatively perpendicular to the tree. I can typically guess pretty close the pitch I need to set the climber while at the base of the tree and I never adjust the cable to the platform while above ground, but after I descend from my first hunt and if I decide to return and leave the stand there, then I'll make my micro adjustments.

I also think the APIs go to together much easer then the Summits. The top section just fits over the bottom one. When I borrowed my buddies Summit I couldn't figure it out, but I'm sure once you know it's simple.

I got the Lone Wolf for being more mobile when hunting new areas, since it packs relatively flat. But there are moving parts to the LW's and I had to make some modifications to quiet it down. It may be just wide version that a bit creaky while ascending or descending, because I never hear anyone mention the same issue with the regular model. I had to take folding front bar off and wrap a layer of hockey tape around it where the washer rubs up against it. I could've probably played with the tightness of the nut/bolt, but the hockey tape was a pretty simple solution.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I too like the APIs. I also own a Lone Wolf wide sit and climb and I've hunted out of my buddies Summit. Been using the APIs for 25+ years and my first GSS (Grand Slam Supreme) was stolen out of my truck. I've since adopted my fathers GSS and also bought another API climber. I like to have multiple climbers, since I may leave one at the base of a tree in hopes of returning the following morning, but then change my mind and decide to hunt another location.

The Summits are nice too, I just don't like their cable system. The gaps are too far apart. One the API chains I actually drill out the holes in the tubing in order to utilize all the holes in the chain. I like to have my top and bottom relatively perpendicular to the tree. I can typically guess pretty close the pitch I need to set the climber while at the base of the tree and I never adjust the cable to the platform while above ground, but after I descend from my first hunt and if I decide to return and leave the stand there, then I'll make my micro adjustments.

I also think the APIs go to together much easer then the Summits. The top section just fits over the bottom one. When I borrowed my buddies Summit I couldn't figure it out, but I'm sure once you know it's simple.

I got the Lone Wolf for being more mobile when hunting new areas, since it packs relatively flat. But there are moving parts to the LW's and I had to make some modifications to quiet it down. It may be just wide version that a bit creaky while ascending or descending, because I never hear anyone mention the same issue with the regular model. I had to take folding front bar off and wrap a layer of hockey tape around it where the washer rubs up against it. I could've probably played with the tightness of the nut/bolt, but the hockey tape was a pretty simple solution.
Knife - Don't the APIs use a pin system for cable retainers? Any issue dropping/loosing those if you have to adjust the top section?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The APIs used to come with a small sack for straps, so I put a couple extra ones in there and the sack attaches to the bottom platform. My Dad used to have bolt with a wing nut taped to the stand.

·
716 Posts
I have never lost a pin, you just make sure to re fasten the bolt clip. I also carry a spare in the pouch just in case I do lose onebut not in 20 plus years. Stephen

1 - 20 of 90 Posts