Crossbow Nation banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Only way for that to happen is not to have the cable inserted correctly and it slips loose as you release pressure on the first leg lift. I have almost started climbing and realized mine was not locked in place and fixed it before starting up. The pressure actually pulls the cables tighter when installed correctly. Impossible to slip backwards which is what has to happen for one to pop loose unless the locking tab has been removed or totally bent out of position. If that is the case it is user error.

·
Registered
2017 Sliverado
235 Posts
Only way for that to happen is not to have the cable inserted correctly and it slips loose as you release pressure on the first leg lift. I have almost started climbing and realized mine was not locked in place and fixed it before starting up. The pressure actually pulls the cables tighter when installed correctly. Impossible to slip backwards which is what has to happen for one to pop loose unless the locking tab has been removed or totally bent out of position. If that is the case it is user error.
Bent like 2 mm hubs. I'm no idiot and loved my summit and hunted more than most do. I don't own an atv so each trip into the woods was on my back so no it wasn't banged up by hitting trees. Like I said I'm not debating or arguing over this bc I know people love them but they had the clip over that hole for years for a reason. And if it's not an aluminum stand it is made in China(for all the only buy American products people)Also have seen many of the steel stands that had welds break on the gripper teeth even received one that was only barely tack welded.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Clip over hole? You must be using a very very old Summit climber. I have seen some on the old steel ones.
Here is a picture of mine and it is old. As you can see there is no clip and there is a piece behind the lugs that lock them in place. Look at offside bottom one.

·
Registered
2017 Sliverado
235 Posts
Clip over hole? You must be using a very very old Summit climber. I have seen some on the old steel ones.
Here is a picture of mine and it is old. As you can see there is no clip and there is a piece behind the lugs that lock them in place. Look at offside bottom one.
Mine didn't have the clips but yes I have seen them with them. You can believe me or not I really don't care lol. Like I said I'm not here to debate just giving my opinion due to what I seen happen not just what I've heard someone else say. Call me a liar or say I'm inexperienced if it makes you feel better but it don't change the facts

·
Registered
880 Posts
I’ve been getting out this season with my Summit and it’s doing well for me. Couple of useful mods on mine that really make it better:

ThirdHandArchery straps mentioned above —love those things. Such a simple thing that truly locks everything down when you’re in a tree. Bonus-they hold the two pieces nested together for packing in too, reducing any possible noises.

Added Molle 2 system for packing in. Best mod ever.

Side and front pouches have eliminated any need for a backpack.

I echo all of the safety messages here as well. I never leave the ground without a harness. I also advocate for the Descender system to prevent suspension trauma, and it doubles as your bow/gun haul too, so super efficient. This year I’m using the Q-strap too and like that better than a standard tree strap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I purchased the Decender and I have not tested it yet to see if it decends given my weight. The Q strap looks great. My only concern is not being able to get the stap tight enough once you're at your desired height

·
Registered
880 Posts
Lever-I also have not verified the descent speed. Apparently they are set from manufacture at approx 180 lbs, and I’m about 188, but like you suggest; we should test them too. I just don’t have an easy way to test mine yet—but I will later in November when I visit my brother and hunt from his ladder stands (instead of my climber).

As for the Q strap-this is my first season with that and I love it. I just give it a tug when I’m at final elevation and it sticks right there even on maple trees, which are the smoother bark varieties in my woods. It is long though, so I also hook I to one of the loops closer to tree (in addition to the bitter end loop) to take up some slack. I assume that is why those are sewn in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try 12lbs for both sections weighed together for a "Timbertall" climbing stand. I've had it quite a few years, only used it a dozen or so times, but it was never a problem. They were made in Pennsylvania, and well designed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lever-I also have not verified the descent speed. Apparently they are set from manufacture at approx 180 lbs, and I’m about 188, but like you suggest; we should test them too. I just don’t have an easy way to test mine yet—but I will later in November when I visit my brother and hunt from his ladder stands (instead of my climber).

As for the Q strap-this is my first season with that and I love it. I just give it a tug when I’m at final elevation and it sticks right there even on maple trees, which are the smoother bark varieties in my woods. It is long though, so I also hook I to one of the loops closer to tree (in addition to the bitter end loop) to take up some slack. I assume that is why those are sewn in there.
I have trouble testing it too and thats why I have not used it. With the Q strap, You may want to climb one foot higher and connect it an climb a foot lower to get rid of the slack.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have trouble testing it too and thats why I have not used it. With the Q strap, You may want to climb one foot higher and connect it an climb a foot lower to get rid of the slack.
I’m using my descender anyway. The way I see it, it can be set one of three ways: perfect for my weight, where it lowers me slowly, too light for my weight, where it lowers me a little quickly (but can be stopped by grabbing the strap), or too heavy for my weight, where it lowers me very slowly or not at all.

Any of the three are better than or at least not worse than not using it at all, so I will use it.

I saw this demonstrated at the Great Outdoors Show a couple years ago on Harrisburg. It’s pretty darn impressive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a summit viper as well. Those cables will not come out if they are inserted correctly. Heck, when making an adjustment they can be a booger to loosen. Those things click in and that's a wrap. Definitely something happening other than equipment failure.

I have the molle straps on mine for easy carry.
I still use a backpack though so what I do is transport my rig where I am going with my hawk crawler cart. This will allow me to haul everything without killing my back on the way in.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
The adjustments get easier over time but they still lock in place. I adjust the top portion of mine as often as not when in the tree.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts