Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whelp, almost got it done today fellas. Saw a BIG buck across this sage field I’ve got a tripod set up on. Probably 175 yds across to the other side and that’s where he came out. As soon as I saw him I said “Oh my goodness, what a buck”. He was with several other deer and didn’t seem like he was coming my way. So I started making some aggressive grunts to get his attention. He paid no attention to me. Desperate, I said what the hell and let out a snort wheeze. He threw is head up and looked my way. I let out another and here he come! Took him about 5 minutes to make it over to where I was and he was headed right into one of my shooting lanes. I’m set up on this creek, wind in my face, he’s upwind of me and I just needed him to step out of the trees that line the creek bank. I can’t see him at this point but I’m anticipating him stepping out right at 35 yds any second. Don’t know what happened, but he got wise and spun around and started trotting right back the way he came. Stopped at about 50 yards looking back my way but I didn’t have a shot due to all the tree limbs in the way. Finally he walked right back the way he came. I grunted a time or two but he wasn’t having it. He never blew or spooked so I’m pretty sure he never peeped me out.

I’ve been reading these threads talking about the vertical bow crowd whining about how big an advantage the crossbow hunter’s have. I just don’t see it and I hunted with a vertical for almost 35 years before making the switch. The only advantage is not having to draw your bow. Crossbow hunting is still archery hunting. You better damn well have your act together (and a lot of luck) when the opportunity presents itself or you are sure to mess it up. Even when you do have your act together, getting a 150” deer within crossbow range is still one hell of a challenge. Especially here in MS where the season runs for 4 months and there is a ******* behind every tree!

I could have shot this deer easily with my rifle. And it’s still rifle season here. But hunting with my rifle just doesn’t get my motor running since I’ve got the crossbow bug. It’s an all out obsession at this point.

Six more days left in the season. Still determined to get it done on one of these big bucks with my CAMX or not get it done at all. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pretty sure, this is the deer. Second time I’ve had him in range this year. He’s damn smart. And BTW, he’s a suburban deer too!
Deer Wildlife Snapshot Monochrome Black-and-white

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for sharing, hopefully he'll be back.
I carried grunt calls for years, never got a buck to do more then turn his head. So for the last few years I quit packing one. Just wondering if others have had the same experience?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
3,267 Posts
Good luck! Thanks for the good read! And yes, I've called in quite a few bucks over the years!!!.....Even pulled one triple antlered one off does he was chasing, midday, Oct 31st one year! Another one, came rip'n around a swamp full out,...stopped right in front of my booom stick at like something under a dozen yds!!!!! His neck filled my scope!!! Talk about a rush!!!! He got pissed that I was near a bunch of his scrapes, I guess! Others have snuck in, and spooked because they got downwind or saw me move a bit.....

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Thanks for sharing, hopefully he'll be back.
I carried grunt calls for years, never got a buck to do more then turn his head. So for the last few years I quit packing one. Just wondering if others have had the same experience?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I have been grunting at deer for years and most just look if even that. But every now and then one will come in. The one in my avatar came in in thick woods from about 125 yards out like he was on a string after I hit him with a few grunts. I started using doe bleats last year and called a nice 10 point in and killed him. You just never know till you call.

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Good luck on getting another whack at him. Those chances don't come often....atleast for me they don't.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun and THF

·
Registered
498 Posts
Whelp, almost got it done today fellas. Saw a BIG buck across this sage field I’ve got a tripod set up on. Probably 175 yds across to the other side and that’s where he came out. As soon as I saw him I said “Oh my goodness, what a buck”. He was with several other deer and didn’t seem like he was coming my way. So I started making some aggressive grunts to get his attention. He paid no attention to me. Desperate, I said what the hell and let out a snort wheeze. He threw is head up and looked my way. I let out another and here he come! Took him about 5 minutes to make it over to where I was and he was headed right into one of my shooting lanes. I’m set up on this creek, wind in my face, he’s upwind of me and I just needed him to step out of the trees that line the creek bank. I can’t see him at this point but I’m anticipating him stepping out right at 35 yds any second. Don’t know what happened, but he got wise and spun around and started trotting right back the way he came. Stopped at about 50 yards looking back my way but I didn’t have a shot due to all the tree limbs in the way. Finally he walked right back the way he came. I grunted a time or two but he wasn’t having it. He never blew or spooked so I’m pretty sure he never peeped me out.

I’ve been reading these threads talking about the vertical bow crowd whining about how big an advantage the crossbow hunter’s have. I just don’t see it and I hunted with a vertical for almost 35 years before making the switch. The only advantage is not having to draw your bow. Crossbow hunting is still archery hunting. You better damn well have your act together (and a lot of luck) when the opportunity presents itself or you are sure to mess it up. Even when you do have your act together, getting a 150” deer within crossbow range is still one hell of a challenge. Especially here in MS where the season runs for 4 months and there is a ******* behind every tree!

I could have shot this deer easily with my rifle. And it’s still rifle season here. But hunting with my rifle just doesn’t get my motor running since I’ve got the crossbow bug. It’s an all out obsession at this point.

Six more days left in the season. Still determined to get it done on one of these big bucks with my CAMX or not get it done at all. Wish me luck!
I love a good snort wheeze! Had a dandy come in 3X one time to a snort wheeze. Never did get a chance to draw the bow back on him but it was a great experience. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
3,267 Posts
IMHO, most grunts don't sound quite real enough. The one I had that worked awesome, has a tiny, brass button in the reed, which 'ticks' against an aluminum base under it. So, instead of just a grunt, it actually ticks at the same time! Or I can make it do this ticking sound just on it's own. Real deer have this ticking sound, which most calls can't copy.
I used to use an old grunt that had this metallic, ticking sound missing, and the bucks would almost always circle around nervously, if they came at all. When I got the call with the brass bead....the bucks would usually just come smoke'n in, straight at me! Almost too quick sometimes!!!
Now, the sad part is, these great calls are from a dude in NJ that I think has quit (Wilson Game Calls).....I was on his pro staff, I liked them so much!!! I sold a whack of these for him!!!
If ya guys can find calls made with these brass beads....grab 'em!!!!! Just say'n!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck on getting another whack at him. Those chances don't come often....atleast for me they don't.
Me either! But this year I’ve somewhat had a horse shoe up my a$$. At least on seeing really nice bucks. Still haven’t put my hands on one yet though. Holding out hope that I can get it done before the season wraps up.

I have increased my standards quite a bit in the last couple of years too I’ve been blessed to kill several 130” deer over the years. I had a 120” ish deer at 35 yards this evening after my encounter with the deer above. Could have easily shot him. But I’ve got my heart set on a 150” or better with my crossbow. And I know I’m hunting in a spot that has em.

Reactions: Renegade19

·
Registered
419 Posts
That buck looks like a real dandy, and thanks for sharing the photo of a Miss. buck it's nice to see what kind of bucks different states are producing. Best of luck hunting!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That buck looks like a real dandy, and thanks for sharing the photo of a Miss. buck it's nice to see what kind of bucks different states are producing. Best of luck hunting!
Mississippi produces some really good bucks. Shot this one on October 22. Thought I stuck him good but didn’t. He showed back up 3 weeks later but never saw him again and only got pics of him at night afterwards.

Reindeer Mammal Deer Wildlife Antler

Here are a few more that I’ve been chasing.

Monochrome photography Black Photograph Deer Black-and-white

Wildlife Nature reserve Deer Terrestrial animal Biome

Monochrome photography Black Photograph Deer Black-and-white
Deer Wildlife Antler Terrestrial animal Reindeer
Deer Photograph Wildlife Elk Antler
Antler Wildlife Deer Elk Darkness

·
13,227 Posts
I was … gonna say way back early in this thread.:p;)
Poster Font Text Rectangle Book cover
:D;)

Reactions: THF
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.