Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that the bolts in the magazine sometimes hang up when cocking the bow. The sharp field points dig into the front vertical surface of the plastic magazine and dont drop into correct firing position, while the nock end does.

Result is that the bolt is stuck in the mag when the trigger is released and the top part of the nock is ripped off and the string is sometimes damaged in the process. As in the photo, the string ends up half-way up the jammed bolt, on top of it. I have removed the magazine to better illustrate the problem.

It is a bother to carefully inspect the magazine after every shot (especially in low light) as this is supposed to be a rapid fire device.

I'm sure others have had this issue. Any suggestions appreciated.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Air gun Trigger

Attachments

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
3,498 Posts
im fairly sure Jörge reads these forums but likely havent signed here

as far as i know these are also designed to shoot broadheads, but not sure if they supposed to be tad shorter
fieldpoints shouldnt be sharp at all

that string looks really beaten up

are you sure mag and all moves all the way back when you cock it?
it could be just that the string has streched too much to allow cocking too early
it should be tighten up when it stretches by adding an twist or two

all this by not ever owning an adder, these are all just guesses

you should contact gogun or Jörge

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There is lots of different field points out there, those ones you have are extremely long and sharp(pointed). I’d get different field points, look at bullet points. Possibly look at a different nock as the nock might be brittle, those arrows are short but they look like the cheap flimsy Chinese arrows you can buy on eBay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im fairly sure Jörge reads these forums but likely havent signed here

as far as i know these are also designed to shoot broadheads, but not sure if they supposed to be tad shorter
fieldpoints shouldnt be sharp at all

that string looks really beaten up

are you sure mag and all moves all the way back when you cock it?
it could be just that the string has streched too much to allow cocking too early
it should be tighten up when it stretches by adding an twist or two

all this by not ever owning an adder, these are all just guesses

you should contact gogun or Jörge
Hi Fly, thanks for your interest. These are the standard 7.5 bolts which came supplied with the Adder from GoGun. I have shot a few broadheads (also from GoGun) but they tear up the target badly so I just have fun with the field points. I just had a magnifier view of the mag and realized that the bolts are just 1-2mm shorter than the slot in the mag they fit into. Very tight fit. I also noticed that the fieldpoints have a tendency to unscrew themselves just a bit in normal usage. That may be the source of the problem. The point hangs up on the front interior of the mag slot because it has unscrewed those 2 mm . I just fired 15 bolts and after 10 the points on 3 of the bolts were loose.

Moral of the story: I will check the tightness of the points before loading and maybe use a mild "threadlocker" liquid on them. I did not have any misfires in those 15 shots after tightening the loose ones. I may also touch the very sharp points with my grinder to minimize their digging into the plastic mag. Thanks The Man for leading me in that direction.

The damage to the string you noticed came as a result of misfiring the bolt you see in the photo. String only had about 30 uses before the misfire. (I had wrecked the previous one by the same process) Because the bolt was jammed and immovable the 130 lb limb tore the nock in half, damaging the string in the process and stopping in the rest position atop the bolt. If you zoom in on the nock you can see it is destroyed.

anyway, thank you again. I will leave this post up for awhile in case some good ideas arrive from the community.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is lots of different field points out there, those ones you have are extremely long and sharp(pointed). I’d get different field points, look at bullet points. Possibly look at a different nock as the nock might be brittle, those arrows are short but they look like the cheap flimsy Chinese arrows you can buy on eBay.
Thanks for getting back to me. Have a look at the comprehensive reply I did to "Fly" which also addresses a couple of points you raised.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Good idea with the grinder to “smooth” the field points up. Also yeah some kind of thread locker will definitely help you

Maybe some kind of lube inside the magazine along the front where the field point tips rub?

sounds like you got the problem sorted and under control but let us know how it’s going after a few magazines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts