Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to thank Jerry for providing these for free so that some of us could review them. I know there's been a lot of back and forth on these broadheads, but I'm going to share my experience with them.

My local range doesn't allow crossbows so I had to test these at 23 yards in my back yard, so this will only apply to fairly short range hunting. If you're going to test these, I recommend a cheap target that you don't care about because these tear some big holes.

I used a Bear Fisix which is rated at 375 fps with a 400 gr arrow.

I used a 22 inch black eagle zombie slayer arrow. (These heads are HUGE)

My first two shots are with 100 grain field points at 23 yards. I'm shooting free hand after a day of shooting my new bow (pse evolve) at the range (don't judge, I'm not the best shot!) Each outer ring is an inch, and my two shots are slightly over an inch a part. There is a slight breeze, but no major wind.

For my second two shots I use the cheap shot 125 gr broadheads. They are slightly heavier so I expect them to hit a little lower. It should be noted that I just screwed the broadheads on (no alignment) and one turned out to be vertical when it was resting on my rail, and the other one was horizontal. They hit between 1.5 and 2.5 inches lower than the field points, but only about 1 inch from each other.

Thankfully, they had nice penetration so that I could push them through a little bit and unscrew the broadheads. Pulling them back through would have been pretty damaging to the target.

Since they grouped well right under my field points, I took another two shots, aiming about an inch above the bullseye. They turned out to be the best two shots.

The broadheads showed little wear after going through the target (and into the cardboard I had behind it). They felt just as sharp as when I started.

Conclusion: For how cheap these are they seem to work well at short ranges with a fairly powerful crossbow. Wind may affect them more than most broadheads since they have so much surface area, but they seemed to group well with just a slight breeze. I would feel fine hunting with these out to 30 yards, but I would have to test them more for anything beyond that. They would go great on some throw away arrows that you could keep around in case you want to take a shot where you may not be able to retrieve your arrow.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I believe they will work 25 yards and closer for hunting.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks Jerry. He sent me the same heads. My only thought was how to get the threaded part out if that part should break off. That area seemed pretty small. thanks for the review crank.

Reactions: Crank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jerry. He sent me the same heads. My only thought was how to get the threaded part out if that part should break off. That area seemed pretty small. thanks for the review crank.
Yeah I didn't think about that.. Might have to poke it out from the other end. I shot them some more yesterday with an old poe lang torpedo with similar results... Haven't had any break on me yet.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks for the idea LL

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried the 100 grain version of that head in a few crossbows. They were boderline erratic in flight out of my Poe Lang Jaguar. I'd fire a shot or two that would hit with my field points, and then there'd be a shot that would go Wild when it was half way to target. I think it might be due to such a surface area on a broadhead with these arrows only being 16". With longer heavier arrows out of my other crossbows things have been a bit better. Thank you for sharing your results. Also I want to add these shot awesome out of a 35 pound fiberglass recurve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here are my test results:

Spin test = All of the heads had significant run out. Mold cavity numbers are on each head and some are better than others.
20 yard = Accuracy is not too bad 1-2 inch groups
30 yard = Accuracy opened up to 4+ inch groups
Durability = No breakage into hard targets for me. Shooting into carpet did strip the sharp edges and serrations off on the first shot

·
Registered
83 Posts
I must say that they were pretty durable. I fired one into 3/4 inch plywood. I had the cheapshot on a Easton 2219 that was trimmed to 16" expressly for my Poe Lang Jaguar. Velocity was just over 230 fps with total arrow weight being 383 grain including 100 grain head. Other than some slight deformation of serrations there was nothing wrong with the broadhead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have always been open to advances that technology brings. That said I decided to give polymer broad-heads a closer look. So to spare you a long read I’ll tell you I did shoot a deer with the head and I won’t do it again. Yes I like them ,but they are not good enough for deer. Yotes ,coons and other game sure, nothing deer size or bigger.
I am hunting with a cross bow. On 10-31-17 I was hunting a tree stand 25 foot high and shot a deer that was about 20 yards out, broadside. It was a typical broadside shot. To fair I have say the deer traveled about 75 yards and expired. The was no exit wound. I found the bolt . The head had snapped off clean. I carefully looked for the head while field dressing without success. I noted on the off side rib cage ,where you would expect the exit, had the mark of what would be a headless shaft impressed there on. When I hung and skinned the deer I got a closer look at the entry wound. There was a broken rib and a piece of the head (size of a dime) along with a lot of tiny black shards. In my opinion this head does not do well against bone of any size
. A ground level shot through the ribs ,well maybe. I’ve hunted deer over 35 years and I should have known better. I’ll just go back to my muzzy heads, and keep one arrow with the plastic head in the quiver for varmints.I also must say that I wrote a review on the cold steel web site and it was not posted. I guess they only want glowing testimonials.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
As of today, check out the post on page 7 "Cold Steel Cheap Shot Broadheads". This was started by Krealitygroup dated Feb. 26, 2017.
I have shot these and found: 1)very hard on targets unless they have penetrated enough where one can remove the broad head. 2)hitting a hard surface or frozen ground they shatter. One I shot entered frozen ground after passing threw a target. The edges were gone and the blade snapped off leaving the screw in section in the insert. Using a small, flat jewelers screw driver I was able to rotate the broken part out. Removal was possible only because on impact the head jarred loose before breaking up.
I have not shot these broad heads since and would never recommend them for shooting any animal, predator or other wise. You owe it to any animal to provide a clean killing shot.
All the best.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As of today, check out the post on page 7 "Cold Steel Cheap Shot Broadheads". This was started by Krealitygroup dated Feb. 26, 2017.
I have shot these and found: 1)very hard on targets unless they have penetrated enough where one can remove the broad head. 2)hitting a hard surface or frozen ground they shatter. One I shot entered frozen ground after passing threw a target. The edges were gone and the blade snapped off leaving the screw in section in the insert. Using a small, flat jewelers screw driver I was able to rotate the broken part out. Removal was possible only because on impact the head jarred loose before breaking up.
I have not shot these broad heads since and would never recommend them for shooting any animal, predator or other wise. You owe it to any animal to provide a clean killing shot.
All the best.
I can't argue with anything you have said. As I said, I should have known better. That said I felt it was better to expose my lack of sound judgment,as a warning to others.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Come on. Anyone who would consider using these instead of dozens of other broad heads is not serious. They are a novelty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts