Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new hunter that wants cold weather hunting clothing. Thank God I bought all my stuff years ago at Cabelas when they were the real deal. It seems as though Basspro and Cabelas dont have anything decent. He is looking for quiet bibs or coverall. Also where does a guy go to get a real nice wool camo sweater. No he doesn't want to spend 2k on King of the mountain type of cold weather gear

Reactions: sefar

·
Registered
13 Posts
What about day one camo. I looked into it last year to get some asat made but never pulled the trigger. I have a couple Sitka garments that my wife bought me but I don't think I would have bought it for myself.

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
3,265 Posts
I totally go by layering and don't spend a pile of dow either. For cooler temps, my base layer might be a thin mirino wool wick'n shirt. Next would be a micro fleece camo. Then I can pile on as many as three thin wool sweaters. (Just thrift store finds!) Don't laugh! They're cheap, and they work! Then over those I just throw a camo polar fleece. If really cold and snow out, I've got a snow camo polar fleece that goes over everything! Pants are micro fleece, and double layer of polar fleece, if needed. On my noggin, I'll throw a belaclava over a wool tooque, and I can sit for hours in like -22c/-6f no prob!
I can use some of these for warmer hunts also. But I really like the coolness of Cabelas Supertec stuff! Great when on hard hikes, then add whatever is needed when I stop to glass or....
Heavy parkas and overalls sucks when they get damp from sweat!....
All the stuff I use is also super quiet and fast drying. And the wool keeps ya warm like nothin else!
And ya don't have to spend a fortune on clothing!

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,753 Posts
I just spent about $2,000 on work cloths and camos. I like Carhartt. I have Carhartt everything in camo and civvies. I did get some Realtree and Mossy oak products also, I was a little hesitant at first about their clothing but, they aren't bad. Especially thier sweat wicking polyester clothing. Super comfortable. For boots I wear Chippewas, the best in boots i.m.o. if you don't know about them try a pair, you will love them. They will be the last pair of boots you ever buy. They beat those dumb city boots, Timberland by a mile ! Those are Welfare recipients boots anyhow !

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I’ve been pretty happy with my Cabelas coat that I bought about 4 years ago, though wasn’t cheap. I have been keen on looking for bargains as they come up too...there are sales. If you see any Rocky Boots clothing, it’s good stuff too and a bit of an underdog against some of the bigger brands, so less appreciated but still great stuff. Whenever I visit SE Ohio I go to their outlet store and there are always amazing deals there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ive been happy with the "Yukon Gear" products that I got at the local Canadian Tire store. I've been using my milwaukie electric jacket under a Rocky scentblocker jacket lately. A micro fleece base layer is always a great start, some "smartwool" socks work good as well. Most of my cold weather stuff has to do double duty as work clothes. I've finally found a pair of boots that work fabulous, they're safety rated and fairly bulky but comfortable and very warm.
A set of Dakotas with liners from Mark's Workwarehouse good for-50ish° .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well....I was looking for the same a few years ago. I was just going to purchase a cheap coverall figuring it would last a couple years until I could get something good. My wife actually talked me into spending a bit more and I got this.....

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-silent-stalker-elite-coveralls-for-men

Best purchase even for clothing. I've "rested my eyes" in the woods to open them with inches of snow on me and not even known it. Very well made and WARM!! Looks like they are on sale right now as well.

They've lasted 4 years so far and have no signs of wear. Great product if coveralls are for you. I love them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Dude! No wonder the stuff is lasting! Sounds like your snooz'n in them instead of hunt'n! :D LOL

I should say also that my layering system works well around here, but it doesn't get extremely cold here like on the prairies...I'd probably have to do something a bit different out there.

The one big thing I've learnt is how bad it is to get too warm when hiking, then ya freeze when ya stop! That's why the layering works so good. I always have my extra clothing in a pack until I stop somewhere or start 'still' hunting. Then just add what I need before cooling off!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dude! No wonder the stuff is lasting! Sounds like your snooz'n in them instead of hunt'n! :D LOL

I should say also that my layering system works well around here, but it doesn't get extremely cold here like on the prairies...I'd probably have to do something a bit different out there.

The one big thing I've learnt is how bad it is to get too warm when hiking, then ya freeze when ya stop! That's why the layering works so good. I always have my extra clothing in a pack until I stop somewhere or start 'still' hunting. Then just add what I need before cooling off!
Yeah....well.....all that wonderful oxygen rich cold air can get to you every once in a while....Honestly though this suit has been through the ringer....briar patches, wild rose patches, barbed wire, everything....and never cold. I do layer a bit, and that is where my temperature control comes from. It's almost a 10 degree chart as to what I wear under. 30s high are thin under, 20s high are second thickest layer, teens are the thickest and thinnest. The under garments I have are Cabela's.

I recently got a pair of wool socks from the Army surplus store. They are awesome as well.

The Army surplus store may be a good place to start as well if you have a good one in your area. Some are way overpriced, and some are great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Look at an IWOM for true cold weather hunting.

Military camouflage Hunting Soldier Tree Camouflage

I used it in snow and rain and down to 5 degrees with 20+ mph wind this year and it saved my butt. All day hunting and not having to open it (like a HBS) was the key to all day comfort. 5:45 am to 6:15 pm sits take enough to get through and getting cold was not something I wanted to deal with. It's waterproof and windproof and has pockets where you need them and an excellent hand warmer. The foot well system it has is a very good idea, its lined for durability and there's enough room to move in any size stand. I use this on ladder stands and in my Summit climbers.

I put two super HotHands in my foot well and two in my hand warmer and you have that little extra heat on those super cold days.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Hey Cors, ya could just use a big ol' blankey when you're snoozen out there!? o_O Couldn't ya!?

Seriously though, those things look pretty cozy!!!!! Till ya let a gas bomb go off!!! :eek:

Sorry! The off topic thing again!...I'll just crawl back into my corner...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, I haven't used an IWOM yet. My feet are usually the first to get cold so having them completely covered would be awesome.

The suit from BPS feels like it is a wonderful sleeping bag, always warm and comfy. I can tell you, it is the best investment I have made in hunting clothes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I got a new hunter that wants cold weather hunting clothing. Thank God I bought all my stuff years ago at Cabelas when they were the real deal. It seems as though Basspro and Cabelas dont have anything decent. He is looking for quiet bibs or coverall. Also where does a guy go to get a real nice wool camo sweater. No he doesn't want to spend 2k on King of the mountain type of cold weather gear
IWOM Outerwear XT. Warmest hunting gear I've ever owned.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Look at an IWOM for true cold weather hunting.

View attachment 160910

I used it in snow and rain and down to 5 degrees with 20+ mph wind this year and it saved my butt. All day hunting and not having to open it (like a HBS) was the key to all day comfort. 5:45 am to 6:15 pm sits take enough to get through and getting cold was not something I wanted to deal with. It's waterproof and windproof and has pockets where you need them and an excellent hand warmer. The foot well system it has is a very good idea, its lined for durability and there's enough room to move in any size stand. I use this on ladder stands and in my Summit climbers.

I put two super HotHands in my foot well and two in my hand warmer and you have that little extra heat on those super cold days.

I've been on their Prostaff for a few years. Just an incredible piece of equipment. Nothing compares if you're hunting cold, wet, snowy conditions. I also believe that when fully deployed it does help contain your scent.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.