Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of those people who for the most part are never satisfied with my stuff.

Knives...I have at least a hundred. maybe two hundred if the kitchen knives are included. I detest knives that won't stay sharp and knives that make it a PITA to sharpen them. Some knives are single purpose knives. and unless they do thier one purpose better than anything else, I hate them too. A good example of that is the paring knives with the blade curved like a carpet knife. I haven't found their purpose yet and they suck for almost everything.

Flashlights... I have a few dozen of them. Have a couple that are close to right, but not quite. Why can't someone make a light that uses 21700 p- protected cells, one or two would be OK. Make the light long range focus adjustable out to 200 yards or a little more and give me a 3-4 foot minimum circle of light at my feet 4 hours of battery life, maybe 500 lumen minimum output.

Rifles I have kind of devolved on. The copper mono bullets are so good that they do much more things exceptionally well that it expands the capability of the rifle by so much it's hard to get used to once you get past the peculiarities of those bullets.

Shotguns, despite the attempts to make them useful for more situations just are not. I will grant that shotguns are up against some hard problems to solve, and lots of them are very good for one particular job.

·
14,451 Posts
Makes sense... mostly...lol:)

·
4,831 Posts
I have always said. I want my boots to keep my feet dry my watch to tell me the time and my truck to start when I turn the key. And I look at pretty much everything that way. If it don’t it’s history or modified.

I don’t mind having a gun for example that’s really good at killing Gobblers and not a good choice for rabbits. Same for deer I have a custom 6.5x 284 that’s a long range deer killer and a 454 casull with a 20” barrel.

If it’s passed down like grandpa’s guns there a collection. If I buy it… it works or it don’t. Except for broadheads lol I got a pile of broadheads not sure what to label them.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hunting in a neighborhood for me generally means By the time I have put the bow away and am outside down on the ground it's dark and lights are very important. Following blood across a mowed area is the worst, even a decent blood trail is harder to follow there. I keep buying them and some are a lot better, but none are what I'd prefer yet.

I've reloaded since the late 50s and really appreciate the bullets available now. This is really the best of times for that. The only down side for rifle work is getting components can be difficult at times.

With a Matrix 330 and a Matrix 380 there's hardly any need they won't meet handily. I keep testing different heads. I keep hoping something will stand out. I have come to the point that I believe if I have 1/2 inch cutting diameter and sharp blades I will probably do about as well as anything. I can make a perfect shot with a 3 or four blade head over 2 inches wide and get a pee poor blood trail. The only thing i can say for sure is that I don't always get a say in what comes after the shot with a bow. At least with a rifle I have set up and ammunition that I have loaded, I can put all of them down where they stand, and they never hear the rifle go off at bow ranges.

Maybe the best that can be said about collecting a lot of stuff testing it is that once in a while you learn something, and that sometimes all you learn is that there really isn't going to be any epiphany in that subject.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts