Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Ten point XRT NITRO!! And Barnett Vengance, (Ghost 350 sold)
163 Posts
Hopefully there will be no issues. After waiting this long for Ravin to roll out the R500, should be reliable like the rest of their bows. I plan on owning one, but it won't be this year. Unless Scorpyd comes out with a model with a sliding trigger box for cocking/decocking...that may trump the Ravin for me.
Scorpyd crossbows are super nice . But it seems like other brands are evolving with smaller, lighter frames. With nearly the same speeds. Id never thought we'd see bows going 500 FPS. Crazy!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Scorpyd crossbows are super nice . But it seems like other brands are evolving with smaller, lighter frames. With nearly the same speeds. Id never thought we'd see bows going 500 FPS. Crazy!
All very true. Exactly why I currently have 2 Ravins.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I guess I'm just not getting all the drama involved here...
I hope the bow is safe and functions as it is designed to function for the sake of all owners and potential owners.
That being said, the R500 is only 20 fps faster than several other crossbows on the market.
Virtually no flatter trajectory will be noticeable between 480 and 500 with same weight arrow.
Oh, well....I'll keep racking-up kills (and smiles), with my slow-poke 110 lb. Scorpyd Aculeus and be happy.

(Until I spring for the 110 or 135 Scorpyd Tremor!) ;)
Not using a 400gn arrows they don't! Ravin is the only manufacturer that doesn't exaggerate the speed using a ligher arrow to achieve their advertised speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
That being said, the R500 is only 20 fps faster than several other crossbows on the market.
Virtually no flatter trajectory will be noticeable between 480 and 500 with same weight arrow.
Oh, well....I'll keep racking-up kills (and smiles), with my slow-poke 110 lb. Scorpyd Aculeus and be happy.
It's not just the speed. It's the speed while being extremely compact. The mechanism to cock it seems like a very good design, too.

I was a long time scorpyd owner until I went with the R29x. Narrower is awesome for hunting. A sliding trigger box is great, too. I want to own another scorpyd, but they need to compete in the size and cocking features. I was often worried about hitting the tree or a limb because a Scorpyd becomes so much wider after the shot. Maybe they'll build something in the 430-450fps range that is within 2-3 inches of the Ravin uncocked with a sliding trigger box??

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
1,101 Posts
I’m a weirdo. I actually did what some would consider taking a step backward in technology this year. Bought a 2020 TP Viper with the AcuSlide in March oh 2020. This July I bought a Mission Sub 1 XR. No more crank, no more ultra Uber narrow limbs. Now I have a rope cock / decock. Shooting a heavy 470gr arrow ONLY 368fps. It doesn’t sound like a screen door being slammed when I shoot it and its ohhhhhh so smooth. I highly doubt there will be a 2022 purchase or a 2023 purchase in my future.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I’m a weirdo. I actually did what some would consider taking a step backward in technology this year. Bought a 2020 TP Viper with the AcuSlide in March oh 2020. This July I bought a Mission Sub 1 XR. No more crank, no more ultra Uber narrow limbs. Now I have a rope cock / decock. Shooting a heavy 470gr arrow ONLY 368fps. It doesn’t sound like a screen door being slammed when I shoot it and its ohhhhhh so smooth. I highly doubt there will be a 2022 purchase or a 2023 purchase in my future.
Those Mission Sub-1 bows are the quietest and less vibration after the shot than any other crossbow being sold! Yes, even old or moderately disabled people can even had rope cock the XR with no problems. The Lite has no cocking effort! It's that sweet!

·
Registered
95 Posts
tare up a steel ball with a rubber mallet. Yea thats funny but so true.

I saw an old guy trying to pull back a Barnet with hooks on the cables not the string............... 😀

Remember....its not about the speed with the 500 as much as it making everyones else's bow totally obsolete.
Ah, I see. So my slow bow that I still fill all 4 of my tags with every year, no tuning to be done, little to no string wear, quiet, does not require a press to work on, can be easily cocked by hand, and has an excellent de-cocking device, is totally obsolete.

Got it, thanks.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It's not just the speed. It's the speed while being extremely compact. The mechanism to cock it seems like a very good design, too.

I was a long time scorpyd owner until I went with the R29x. Narrower is awesome for hunting. A sliding trigger box is great, too. I want to own another scorpyd, but they need to compete in the size and cocking features. I was often worried about hitting the tree or a limb because a Scorpyd becomes so much wider after the shot. Maybe they'll build something in the 430-450fps range that is within 2-3 inches of the Ravin uncocked with a sliding trigger box??
We can only hope!

·
Registered
95 Posts

It's for some of those exact reasons why, after just a few hunts, I sold my 175 Orion Extreme. I literally hated the bulkiness of it, as well as how wide it is for most of the length of the bow. IMO they are terrible for packing in/out and up in smaller treestands. I also disliked the boat winch crank and no de-cocking feature.

To be fair, they are dang nice shooting bows. Well built, super accurate, and fast. They have their place in the hunting world, especially for those that can drive an ATV to a ground blind, or nearly so.

I'm glad I tried one but they are not compatible for my hunting style, nor to my likings.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I'm with you Bud. I was scared "chit" with all this high tech stuff when it starting coming out. When I saw the new TenPoints come out with a built in slide with no means to draw with a cord as a backup, I was disappointed. I called TP and they said if the Accuslide broke, I would have to send the bow back to TP for repairs. NOT FOR ME! I opted for the older Stealth NXT. It has a slot for the cord behind the barrel and can be cocked manually with a TP Rope Cocking Sled (you must have a full size stirrup too). Well my fears came true. On my South African Safari this past September, the cord on my Accudraw Pro slipped out on the last day of the hunt. I am convinced that all you need is a bow that can shoot around 370 fps (with a 450 gr arrow) that can be cocked manually. This would kill just about any animal that walks the earth with the proper broadhead. My setup was a 500 gr arrow (about 375 fps) and it passed through a nearly 2,000 pound Eland (in my avatar) cleanly. There is only so much bells and whistles I desire. I want to hunt, not pray every time I use the bow that nothing breaks. Keep drinking the Kool Aid folks. Amen.

Reactions: R. Toker

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm with you Bud. I was scared "chit" with all this high tech stuff when it starting coming out. When I saw the new TenPoints come out with a built in slide with no means to draw with a cord as a backup, I was disappointed. I called TP and they said if the Accuslide broke, I would have to send the bow back to TP for repairs. NOT FOR ME! I opted for the older Stealth NXT. It has a slot for the cord behind the barrel and can be cocked manually with a TP Rope Cocking Sled (you must have a full size stirrup too). Well my fears came true. On my South African Safari this past September, the cord on my Accudraw Pro slipped out on the last day of the hunt. I am convinced that all you need is a bow that can shoot around 370 fps (with a 450 gr arrow) that can be cocked manually. This would kill just about any animal that walks the earth with the proper broadhead. My setup was a 500 gr arrow (about 375 fps) and it passed through a nearly 2,000 pound Eland (in my avatar) cleanly. There is only so much bells and whistles I desire. I want to hunt, not pray every time I use the bow that nothing breaks. Keep drinking the Kool Aid folks. Amen.
Rt2 on here often kills large, targeted, bucks most every year with his bows that he has slowed down and shoots a heavier arrow. They also do not require a crank to cock and/or de-cock.

IMO there is much to be said about simplicity.

·
12,620 Posts
In 1972 ... I had to do a "Tune-up" twice a year on my brand new Chevy Blazer. Had to carry a spare set of points, plugs, rotor, distributer caps and can't remember what else. If it broke, I could get it home by hook or by crook. Fast forward to 1988 and my brand new Silverado and all the new technology. If it broke ... you called a tow truck. Leap forward to today, frightening computerization of engines, 10 speed transmissions, dashboards, everything. I carry no spare anything except some fuses. If it breaks? Well, they DON'T break! Modern technology is reliable and trustworthy. The breakdowns went from occasional to almost unheard of. I haven't had to tune a vehicle in over a decade. Sure, the advancements are scary at first; but they quickly get absorbed into being trusted and durable. Same thing with crossbows. How many cranking devices quit on you? Statistically, it's practically nonexistent.
Human Happy Font Landscape Soil

Vertebrate Human Happy Gesture Font

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
In 1972 ... I had to do a "Tune-up" twice a year on my brand new Chevy Blazer. Had to carry a spare set of points, plugs, rotor, distributer caps and can't remember what else. If it broke, I could get it home by hook or by crook. Fast forward to 1988 and my brand new Silverado and all the new technology. If it broke ... you called a tow truck. Leap forward to today, frightening computerization of engines, 10 speed transmissions, dashboards, everything. I carry no spare anything except some fuses. If it breaks? Well, they DON'T break! Modern technology is reliable and trustworthy. The breakdowns went from occasional to almost unheard of. I haven't had to tune a vehicle in over a decade. Sure, the advancements are scary at first; but they quickly get absorbed into being trusted and durable. Same thing with crossbows. How many cranking devices quit on you? Statistically, it's practically nonexistent.
View attachment 208895
View attachment 208897
Thanks Duke, just posted both those pics on our Company's Digital Bulletin board!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It's for some of those exact reasons why, after just a few hunts, I sold my 175 Orion Extreme. I literally hated the bulkiness of it, as well as how wide it is for most of the length of the bow. IMO they are terrible for packing in/out and up in smaller treestands. I also disliked the boat winch crank and no de-cocking feature.

To be fair, they are dang nice shooting bows. Well built, super accurate, and fast. They have their place in the hunting world, especially for those that can drive an ATV to a ground blind, or nearly so.

I'm glad I tried one but they are not compatible for my hunting style, nor to my likings.
Well said. Full sized Scorpyd's are great bows...just "big".

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
1,101 Posts
Those Mission Sub-1 bows are the quietest and less vibration after the shot than any other crossbow being sold! Yes, even old or moderately disabled people can even had rope cock the XR with no problems. The Lite has no cocking effort! It's that sweet!

I’d like to try the lite for 3D shooting

·
12,620 Posts
I have a problem ... the theme song to "China Beach" has been playing over and over in my head since yesterday! o_O;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really cant believe that a bow would survive 500 fps with 400 grains. Youd think you would need that arrow in the 700-800 grains weight class in order to withstand that kind of energy.

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,509 Posts
I really cant believe that a bow would survive 500 fps with 400 grains. Youd think you would need that arrow in the 700-800 grains weight class in order to withstand that kind of energy.
We'll know very soon.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
I think Bunny Rabbit on here once posted that he had cronoed a Barnett at over 500 fps using an arrow under 300 grains. I think he said 270 grains. That makes 400 sound heavy. :whistle: ;)

41 - 60 of 74 Posts