Crossbow Nation banner

raccoon trouble.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  JOE PA 
#1 ·
Sorry, this is about our for humans sweet corn plot. We have an acre planted, maturing in weekly intervals. About two weeks from maturity, the coons show up and start stealing what was to go to the food bank.:mad: Boss has some havahart traps out, but no luck with those. Any ideas how to deal with the coons? It’s on the property of a local university, so lights an shooting them is off the table. Just want to save as much as possible, and any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

#6 ·
You could use the wire cage traps if you aren't allowed to kill. Just haul them away.

Reactions: dynamo61
#8 ·
LOL, with all those chewed up cobs layin around, he can't deny he did it. They can't keep their paws off of stinky sardines or fishy cat food. One of these days I'm gonna try those marshmallows Beervo2 suggested. The Lord knew what He was doin when He put a black mask on those stealin varmints!

#10 ·
Still only caught that one. Setting the traps for groundhogs (cantaloupe), but will try Joe Thompson’s idea of PB & honey too. Animals still taking some, but not as bad as before. Got 3 full bins this morning. Going to the food bank along with the first 5 bins of spuds. :)
Local food Vegetable Plant Leaf vegetable Grass

#13 ·
Still only caught that one. Setting the traps for groundhogs (cantaloupe), but will try Joe Thompson’s idea of PB & honey too. Animals still taking some, but not as bad as before. Got 3 full bins this morning. Going to the food bank along with the first 5 bins of spuds. :)
View attachment 182898
Best corn ever Jeff, 2 and 3 ears on every stalk. Tender and sugar-sweet! The Lord has really blessed us this year.

#11 ·
Hats off to ya Jeff for doin the work you do, lots of folks havin a hard time right now, through no fault of their own (thank you China, this was 1 import we didn't need).
Corn is next on my list. Just came in from pickin a 5 gallon and 2 gallon bucket of green beans. Mrs. Pine is stemmin em right now, then they'll go in jars, then the canner. Our canner will pressure can 21 quarts at a time, and this batch will give us 63 quarts. We use about 60 quarts a year, especially when she makes green bean casserole. Still have tons of beans left, but we give these to the senior center and the folks at church.
I'll barely get done with the beans and start cannin corn. Way more than we need so we'll find a home for the extra ears. We always overplant so we can give a bunch away. Some see that as dumb since we could sell the surplus at the local farmer's market, but this suits us better.

#12 ·
I trapped 20 this year and didn't make a dent in their population..... Pretty disappointed in that effort.

#15 ·
Black Black-and-white Monochrome photography Monochrome Photography

It’s like this at all of my stand sites. 6-8 coons at each one every night.
raccoon population are very cyclical and they are at a high point this year in my area. Next year I will begin to see sick, staggering coons as a result of over population. Many will die from decease and the cycle will start all over again.

#19 ·
Two weeks ago I went out to the chicken pen and all 15 of my layers were dead and half eaten,including my sole rooster! In the last two weeks I have shot one and trapped 5. I went and bought 11 pullets last weekend,but they won't be laying for a while yet. Bought my first dozen eggs in over 8 years last week......I have been using canned cat food and they can't resist....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.