Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 16 fruit trees. Cherry, pear,,apples,,here in SE Iowa. They have been bearing for some years. Raccoon have been around but not much of a problem. Until last year and this. They began attacking in earnest last year. My neighbor caught 30 on his 100aces. I caught 16 on my 40 acres. They began taking fruit near harvest time. this year the attacks are way early. Fruit is small and green yet ? Never saw anything like it. I have trapped 18 already!! There seems no end.A definite boom in the population. I lived in N Mich for 25 yrs and had fruit trees and coon were never a problem up there. I attribute the excess here in Iowa due to millions of acres of corn and beans, but this population is mind numbing. Not just coon are a problem. I have squirrels attacking too. Never and I mean never had them as a problem. Must be a pop boom of all varmits. Or maybe it is a sign from nature of some disaster on the horizon ? Whatever it is I have never experienced this. Has anyone else.? I wont have much of a crop.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ya, we got lots, especially where my mom lives near Vancouver, BC. When I was down there a few weeks ago, I took out an entire family of the buggars with my 22 cal air rifle! But I've got a Koi pond in her backyard....so it's warfare with them!!!! The neighbor across the road that feeds them must be wondering what happened to her little 'darlings'!!!! LOL
But last weekend already, another big female has moved into the area with 4 youngsters, so I'll be pack'n the air rifle again next trip forsure!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I've started trapping coons as well and I've caught 14 since May and like you, I'm not sure I'm making a dent. They just keep coming!

·
Crossbow Nut
3,102 Posts
I had to quit raising chickens because the coons killed them one by one.
This pic from 2 or 3 nights back; 56 green apples on the ground. Not sure if coon, po
osum, or tree rats, but I think coon. Put 2 dog proof coon traps out, but nothing on cam or in the traps. Always had coons coonin my sweet corn. I hate em. Here in Michigan, you can shoot on sight without license if they are "doing damage, or about to do damage". A coon is always about to do damage.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Squirrels are already hitting my two pear trees along with stealing tomatoes again. I'm getting the traps back out tomorrow afternoon. Trapped 21 earlier this spring but apparently that wasn't enough.:devilish:

Reactions: whitetailzombie

·
Happy Member
5,561 Posts
I’ve killed 8 females and 11 males so far this summer. A never ending supply this summer for some reason. I use a couple of Duke’s dog proof coon traps with a marshmallow inside to attract them. I wire the traps to a tree so they can’t pull the trap away.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Squirrels are already hitting my two pear trees along with stealing tomatoes again. I'm getting the traps back out tomorrow afternoon. Trapped 21 earlier this spring but apparently that wasn't enough.:devilish:
That's where all the squirrels in my backyard came from! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I had to quit raising chickens because the coons killed them one by one.
This pic from 2 or 3 nights back; 56 green apples on the ground. Not sure if coon, po View attachment 181433 View attachment 181434 osum, or tree rats, but I think coon. Put 2 dog proof coon traps out, but nothing on cam or in the traps. Always had coons coonin my sweet corn. I hate em. Here in Michigan, you can shoot on sight without license if they are "doing damage, or about to do damage". A coon is always about to do damage.
Me as well, coons killed all 6 of my hens this spring, got one lonesome duck left!

·
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what do ya entice squirrels with??? I got them too. Do ya use a live cage trap? DP traps great for coon. Live trap good too and they aint alive for Long!!!!!!

·
Crossbow Nut
3,102 Posts
Got 2 coons in dp traps last night! They are good coons now....
Baited with stinky canned sardines in ketchup sauce.😁👌

·
Crossbow Nut
3,102 Posts
Got another good coon Friday night; a huge old sow. Love my DP traps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts