Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cost of the upper end bows are off the rails. Not only that, it causes the price of older bows to remain high, even if they were introduced 4 or 5 years ago. Yesterday I perused all TenPoint bows on Ebay and I was shocked at the prices. I purchased a Stealth NXT in January and the cheapest one I can find (new) is hundreds $$$ more now. Same for my Carbon Nitro RDX. I bought it 4 years ago (new) for $900 and they are selling for hundreds more.
I understand it's prime time for selling bows and this has an effect on prices.
Silver lining is that the resale value of these bows will remain high I guess.
What's your opinion?

·
2,898 Posts
Yeah, I’m quite the miser. I also only really do two things with crossbows. 1 - hunt deer on trails in places that give me shots under 40 max, and usually under 25. 2 - shoot local 3D, sometimes at older, smaller targets. For both, 330 FPS is plenty. Have broadheads, quivers, etc. that all work very well. Spending too much time on the forum can stir up the temptation for sure. I’m at the point of stepping off the treadmill. I agree, you can’t take it with you, but searching for “the perfect bow” had me go through close to 100 compound bows, and my shooting certainly didn’t benefit from all that. Very happy right now, but then again, I drive a 16 year old SUV, so consider the source. ;)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The China thing, some Companies are going out of business. Some seem to have lots of breakage. So good quality crossbows are at a premium. I refuse to sell any of mine made in North America for a third of their cost !

Reactions: SEW and archer36

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cost is part of the reason that keeps me from buying a new crossbow. I want an Excalibur with shorter limbs such as the micro series or assassin, but refuse to pay the price asked for it, or resale prices people ask. It’s just unreasonable.

So my Thunderhawk will get the job done until reasonable prices can set in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cost is part of the reason that keeps me from buying a new crossbow. I want an Excalibur with shorter limbs such as the micro series or assassin, but refuse to pay the price asked for it, or resale prices people ask. It’s just unreasonable.

As long as new bows are out of sight, used bows will cost more. The problem is, NO WARRANTY on most if used.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

My fried there are some very fair prices on flea bay on some of the Micro models & the 360BD model at $550 area. I have the BD360 & too me its the cats meow

Reactions: SEW and dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts

Don't the Micros and Assassins have the nice, built-in crank cocker?
If so, that would be a possible reason for the hefty price tags.

Technology, especially in it's infant stages, does not come cheap.
The Manufacturers have to get back some of the money they spend on research, development, patents and bringing product to market.

As the saying goes "you wanna play? you gotta pay"...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now past 70, I wanted something smaller and lighter than my Vortex which I bought new in 2007. Not one problem made me want another Excalibur but was shocked at the cost of the smaller versions. That led me to the M370, to get smaller and lighter I had to go to a compound. Not what I wanted to do.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Buddy has a Ravin r10, no faster or more accurate than my ts 390. Cost 3 times as much. Mine has a better trigger and an adjustable stock. Strings and cables last twice as long. You couldn,t pry it out of his hands. Man wants what he wants. No explanations needed.

·
Registered
375 Posts

My brother paid $440 for his new in box Micro 355 kit, and I paid $325 for my used 308 Banshee with no scope. If you want one in those price ranges, take your time, shop around, and you can get what you want for nowhere near msrp.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Mag340 is pretty reasonable, and I very much enjoy mine

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now past 70, I wanted something smaller and lighter than my Vortex which I bought new in 2007. Not one problem made me want another Excalibur but was shocked at the cost of the smaller versions. That led me to the M370, to get smaller and lighter I had to go to a compound. Not what I wanted to do.
Check out a mag340, I have a vortex as well, seeing them next to each other is quite a thing, they’re really come a long way. My mag 340 cost me 649 off the rack at LAS, but they go for less online, sometimes a lot less, and new, was an impulse buy for me, but no regrets

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have often thought that with name brand upper end crossbows, that there is a tremendous mark up. Not necessarily from the dealers, but from the manufactures. In large part due to marketing hype with all the latest and greatest combined with lots of people that have to have them, so demand drives prices. Similar to people that pay thousands for a super bowl ticket, hundreds in travel expenses, and buy one beer for what I can buy a 30 pak for, plus I can watch the game for free at home. A $500.00 crossbow will shoot a deer just as easily as a $2,000.00 to 3,000.00 crossbow.
Just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
You could have got a Mag/Axe 340 (which is a Micro) for the same price as the M370. Both are great bows though. Axe/Mag is even lighter even though Tenpoint claims the M370 is the "world's lightest crossbow". Figure that one out.

Reactions: Allthingsarchery

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
A long as people keep paying $2000+ for a crossbow the companies will keep charging those prices for them.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
A long as people keep paying $2000+ for a crossbow the companies will keep charging those prices for them.
I'm pretty sure I will be buying an older Scorpyd for my back up! If I can find one......I'd love a Grim,but most won't sell them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts