Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dragged a small deer out of the woods. I now have that musky scent on my ghillie. Took it off before field dressing her.

When I put the suit bank in the plastic bin I store the smell hit me strong. Now thinking this may be the best cover scent I could get. Will test this theory tomorrow.

Does anyone use fresh deer hides be to use on their hunting clothes? Or have experience with anything like this?

·
Registered
16,354 Posts
I would tend to agree if all the odor is was the smell from the hair of a deer. BUT, if blood or guts were on the ghille then it needs a bath IMO.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outside only took off the suit and put in it away before field dressing. Something told me to be careful about it, I did not realize why at the time. Lucky?

·
Registered
Ravin R 26 Burris Oracle (Eleanor4)
2,190 Posts
I gotta agree with my Georgia Brother...when you were walking around the area where deer died. Brushing up against grass weeds etc. plus the scent and items released in the air. I'd go ahead and wash the suit and then dry it outside finally putting it back in the bag.

If you can smell something even slightly rest assured those adult deer in your area can smell it like a Billboard.

just my 2 cents...Congrads on the first deer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used to worry about those smells also. But over the years I've lost count of how many bucks I've seen stick their nose in a fresh gut pile. I also had a buck come along and try to fight with a dead buck I had just shot 5 minutes earlier. (Lot of blood)
The smell of deer directly on you will draw the deer's attention to you which is not good. For that reason I would wash the garments.
For cover scent I use raccoon urine because there are hundreds of them in my area. I spray it on the stand and tree I'm in. A lot of times there's already raccoon crap on my stand when I get there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seem to work pretty good. Mama moved on apparently. Foung my kill arrow, looks like new. Went in a little over a mile past previous kill. Starting sweating decided to get out. On the way back stuck to the creek line trails to avoid spooking. Encountered a very strong urine (familiar) smell on the way back. This was no doe. I played the wind and evaded slowly.

Got out without spooking anything. Relieved. Scent free wash going. Will scout a different area this evening. Ditching 2nd layer. Will sit more.

·
4,550 Posts
A ghillie suit is a sponge is the best way i can put it. I used to use one a lot, I never wore it in or out ever. I rolled it up and carried it in the back of my modified turkey vest i used to bow hunt with. And is one of the main reasons i started using a turkey vest instead of a backpack. I'm lucky to live with the woods out my back door. What i found worked best for scent control using the ghillie suit was to cover it with leaves. I would go out and rake back the leaves in the woods down to the dirt. Lay the ghillie down and cover it along with the turkey vest with leaves. I watched the weather and didn't let it rain on it. And tried to leave it there as long as i could shooting for a week.

I then took a tote put leaves and dirt from the woods in the bottom covered it with a piece of mesh that was clean or with the ghillie in the woods. I then stored both the vest and ghillie in the tote only putting it on once i got to where i was going to hunt. As soon as the hunt was over i took it off back in the vest then back in the tote as soon as i could.

Doing this i totally ignored the wind and while setting in a fell down tree. I have had young deer tug on my ghillie suit. One of my goals is to someday touch a wild deer in the woods. The closest i have ever got was i touched 2 with the tip of my arrow. Again young deer.

Remember deer will react to any foreign smell it don't have to be human. If you carry it in cover it up!

·
Registered
249 Posts
A ghillie suit is a sponge is the best way i can put it. I used to use one a lot, I never wore it in or out ever. I rolled it up and carried it in the back of my modified turkey vest i used to bow hunt with. And is one of the main reasons i started using a turkey vest instead of a backpack. I'm lucky to live with the woods out my back door. What i found worked best for scent control using the ghillie suit was to cover it with leaves. I would go out and rake back the leaves in the woods down to the dirt. Lay the ghillie down and cover it along with the turkey vest with leaves. I watched the weather and didn't let it rain on it. And tried to leave it there as long as i could shooting for a week.

I then took a tote put leaves and dirt from the woods in the bottom covered it with a piece of mesh that was clean or with the ghillie in the woods. I then stored both the vest and ghillie in the tote only putting it on once i got to where i was going to hunt. As soon as the hunt was over i took it off back in the vest then back in the tote as soon as i could.

Doing this i totally ignored the wind and while setting in a fell down tree. I have had young deer tug on my ghillie suit. One of my goals is to someday touch a wild deer in the woods. The closest i have ever got was i touched 2 with the tip of my arrow. Again young deer.

Remember deer will react to any foreign smell it don't have to be human. If you carry it in cover it up!
May try this later in the season or the next one depending on how the next few weeks go.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
353 Posts
You ever opened a container of EverCalm? Smells just like a deer.
I haven't worn a ghillie in years. Don't need one 20 feet up in a tree. However, someone said they act like a sponge. That is one of the truest statements I've seen in a long time!! (y)
Mine is waiting in a cedar chest just in case I need it.

They will pick up EVERYTHING!!

I believe RT2bowhunter said he leaves his in the woods covered with leaves!! Excellent approach to scent control. I know guys who actually bury theirs in the ground!! It's amazing what bow hunters will do!! 🤣

But as for deer being scared off by blood smells... well.. We have a place in west Texas. We don't gut deer in the field. Landowner says NO. We have a "skinning station". When finished, we take entrails, and whatever is left and discard it on a plie about 400 yards from the camp.
Coyotes love this, but so do THE DEER!! More times than I can count we have been Yote hunting over this mound only to see DEER come in and eat the remains of their relatives!! 😲
Go figure!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I haven't worn a ghillie in years. Don't need one 20 feet up in a tree. However, someone said they act like a sponge. That is one of the truest statements I've seen in a long time!! (y)
Mine is waiting in a cedar chest just in case I need it.

They will pick up EVERYTHING!!

I believe RT2bowhunter said he leaves his in the woods covered with leaves!! Excellent approach to scent control. I know guys who actually bury theirs in the ground!! It's amazing what bow hunters will do!! 🤣
My ghillie sapper coat and ghillie blanket have been hanging spread out in a pop up blind for about 6 weeks, packed them up today with gloves and into the airtight tub they went. Wont get into my coat until I get the blanket set up to block my chair and gear in some heavy brush.

I originally was planning on being 20' up with my saddle near my FIL but I couldnt prep my tree in time on his property. I needed to do some bushwhacking to get a clear path to the tree I wanted to use, no chance of a quiet approach without clearing even in daylight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts