Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Experienced rifle hunting but never bow hunted. About to buy my first bow today, Mission Sub-1 XR. They sell separately the crank for cocking/decocking. My question is rather I need it. It doesnt seem very hard to cock with the manual rope. Isnt it easy to use the blunt arrows to shoot into ground to decock? Ive heard it may theoretically be a little more accurate to use crank to cock since it insures even distribution on the pull back. Any advise?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
The crank cocking device does make cocking the crossbow more accurate
and easier to cock the crossbow.
If one plans to use the rope cocker, with the crossbow in the uncocked
position, mark the bow string on each side of the rail-stock. When the
crossbow is cocked, these marks should be equidistant from the center
where the arrow lies.

All the best with what ever you decide.
Take care.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Advice? Yes. Don't shoot into the ground to decock, it's a good way to damage an arrow, and if you don't notice the damage and shoot the arrow again it could cause a catastrophic bow failure.

My advice would be for you to get yourself a discharge target, or make one (DIY Discharge Bucket).

I know there's a few guys that just shoot into the ground, but I think it's only a matter of time before the arrow is damaged.

On the Mission Sub-1 xbows, I thought they had a decocking feature using the cocking rope. ??

As far as getting a crank device, if you physically need one, get it. If it's about accuracy, try shooting awhile before getting one to see if you can get the accuracy you expect without one.

With accuracy, it's 90% about the arrows.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
The idea of de-cocking “gently” is a valid idea. I would always come in from hunting with my old bow and get my wife to pull the trigger while I manually released the string slowly. Can’t do that with my newer bow. I will now just keep an old arrow to shoot into target before I come in the house.

·
971 Posts
The RSD for the Mission bows is not intended or recommend to be used for de-cocking.
De-cocking should be done by Simply pushing the de-cocking button and using the rope cocking device to de-cock, not the crank.

Reactions: robertyb
1 - 5 of 5 Posts