Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to those using plastic hooks on their cranks. I've broken 2 of them on my Excalibur 440 bulldog. Luckily nothing bad happened but I can see how it could be super dangerous! If anyone has any suggestions for replacement hooks that are metal please post your suggestions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had that happen several years ago and I had a guy on the Excalibur forum build me some metal hooks, I can't remember his name but he also built top mounted quivers for the Excaliburs. Maybe someone else will chime in or just go to the Excalibur forum and post the same question. Sorry I couldn't help any further.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
That would have been Terry (Munch) and he no longer makes the metal hooks. I thought I had 2 sets of the metal hooks but can't find but 1 set. If I find the other set I will let you know. You should post in the Excalibur forum that you are looking for a set of them.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I bet (Tim) burky247365 could make you a set! Send him a PM.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got in touch with Terry. Luckily it sounds like he found a set that he's sending me. I really think metal hooks are the way to go especially if you are using a 350+ lb crossbow! You are risking breaking crossbow limbs and possibly injuring yourself with plastic hooks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's great I'm glad he found you a set

·
Crossbow Nut
3,113 Posts
No more plastic hooks! These are made by Munch. The red ones are on my crank. Put some velcro felt on the rail side, lube the felt with string wax or other lube and never worry about breakage again.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Maybe that is where I messed up. I put felt on mine but did not think to wax it and it still marred the camo on my bow pretty bad. I might give them another shot with wax applied pretty heavy.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,113 Posts
The felt holds the wax very well; I use lots of it.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,113 Posts
Munch mentioned to put moleskin on them for protection so I'll likely try that out.
Moleskin doesn't hold up as long as velcro felt for me.

Reactions: jimss

·
59 Posts
Guys I had someone contact me again . I may do some more this winter but I’m just really busy working 40 hours min a week plus all the other archery things I do and I bought a skidder last fall and cut firewood and logs to stay out of trouble. Biggest reason I stopped making them is it takes 1 hour per set and I put $8 in my pocket .
another heads up for guys is watch for old excal ones ,in the past they made aluminum hooks but I was told plastic is more cost efficient. We all know what that means lol .i learned the hard way .if anyone follows Facebook I’ll post pics on munchmounts if I run some off

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If many guys catch on to higher draw weight crossbows you ought to do well making and selling metal hooks. Obviously you need to get paid enough for your time spent making them! You may want to get in touch with some of the crank manufactures and see if they want to convert from plastic to metal. Hopefully raising awareness of how dangerous the plastic hooks are may prevent someone from getting seriously injured and prevent costly damage to crossbow limbs and other parts!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts