Crossbow Nation banner

Crimson clover for deer plots-anyone

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  dale lockwood 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Crimson clover grows quickly and flowers quickly. Mine I already blooming in SE PA. It also dies quicker and can reseed itself if left uncut and the flowers dry out. It's best planted in the fall. Ive purchased seen from Outside Pride and was happy. While the deer do eat it, the White clovers seem to be preferred. I like a mix of Ladinos, Durana, Balsana, Red, Crimson and Alsike to cover most conditions.

#7 · (Edited)
I planted Durana and this year the flowers are crimson this year. or maybe I messed up but it isn't supposed to be red!

The deer are really hitting it but it was already blossoming Red. Hmmm. I bought this stuff. Maybe I planted something different but I thought this is what I planted.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C88BOZC?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k0_1_6&amp&crid=2A38Z79NYFIJC&amp&sprefix=durana

If this stuff was crimson it came in nice and thick. I will check a couple other plots and see what I have out there. I had two bags of clover and maybe I got mixed up.

Reactions: dale lockwood
#10 ·
I planted Durana and this year the flowers are crimson this year. or maybe I messed up but it isn't supposed to be red!

The deer are really hitting it but it was already blossoming Red. Hmmm. I bought this stuff. Maybe I planted something different but I thought this is what I planted.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C88BOZC?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k0_1_6&amp&crid=2A38Z79NYFIJC&amp&sprefix=durana

If this stuff was crimson it came in nice and thick. I will check a couple other plots and see what I have out there. I had two bags of clover and maybe I got mixed up.
Durana flowers are white and it is a perennial. Crimson is typically the color crimson, but there is also white crimson and it is an annual but will reseed itself. I prefer a mix of clovers in my plots and some have up to 6 varieties.

#11 ·
Wish I knew what I planted in that little plot. I planted it late in the season and it came in pretty thick but no flowers. This year It came in with a lot of early crimson flowers. Still nice and thick.

Probably one of my stray bags of something I planted in that spot. I can't complain about that clover. It is fairly close to the house and the deer are in it everynight and it came in nice and thick.

#12 ·
Wish I knew what I planted in that little plot. I planted it late in the season and it came in pretty thick but no flowers. This year It came in with a lot of early crimson flowers. Still nice and thick.

Probably one of my stray bags of something I planted in that spot. I can't complain about that clover. It is fairly close to the house and the deer are in it everynight and it came in nice and thick.
Sounds much like crimson red

#18 ·
If you plot crimson in the fall, it will grow quickly and bloom in the spring, die and reseed itself some. I like a blend of annuals and perennials. I would definitely add Balsana and/or Berseem, which are annuals and produce large leafs while adding nitrogen to soil; along with some good perennial white clovers; ladinos, durana, Aberlasting, Red, Alsike, to name a few. Also, would definitely add oats and rye/tritical to act as a cover crop. Deer will eat in fall and it helps protect clovers while getting established along with a cover crop in spring.

#20 ·
well, my crimson red and white up to now they prefer over ladino but found out the crimson is much more susceptible to drought and my Durana is very thick and green now. If I could have one -Durana really produces a mass crop. Less Maintenace or more adaptable and yes deer love it also. I will have crimson next year also and see if it reseeds itself this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.