Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll just start out by saying that this is my 1st year of Stickin' Slimeys with my Cross bow, So I'm no expert and not claiming to be
Been Stickin them for 30 years with a Vert. off docks, shore, and a canoe...Till I shot a hole in the bottom of it
I started out thinking I'd use my BCX and my Muskie rod and reel But at over 300 fps and 185# draw weight it was like using a Howitzer to shoot a Chipmunk I spent more time digging my fishbolt out of the bottom than anything else
I still shoot it off the docks for longer range fish for fun,
In the Boat I shoot an MK 150 A3 C-C ( Cali-Camo) It's under 100 bux and is bomb proof...
From the beginning, this has been interesting!!
Building my 1st fishbolt, Some of the factory Fishbolts are too small to defeat the A.D.F. on higher end bows! Jack Pine walked me trough building one that worked and it was super cheap and really easy to do! Start out with a straight DRIVEWAY MARKER $2.99 at lowes Spend a little time to find a really straight one, Next cut the nock section off of a bent,wrecked 2219 Ali arrow (6-7") just enough to clear the A.R.S. Cut the driveway marker to length mines about 24" I found a Cajun slip/glue on Warhead clearance for 3.99, Nock for .50 and a nut off the switch from a crockpot....Little epoxy and some sanding to grt the Warhead to fit super snug and I have a Killer fishbolt!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just remember to super glue the machine screw when turning it in I think it was 3/32 or 1/8th inch
You want to be sure the bolt will clear the stirrup so your retrieval line won't tangle in it
The above post shows a$20.00 AMS Fishbolt I bought VS. the SpeJack $6.50 HARPOON (BCX won't shoot the AMS )

I just want to say that I decided to post a cross bow fishing thread here because I read a lot of the discussions on how Vert. snobs treat us Xbow guys like pond scum especially Bow fishing people

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm ready to slaughter the slimey's off of Docks and shore

With this set up I spent more time digging my bolt out of the bottom after complete pass thru's including a head shot Musk rat

Where I veer way off track is this.......I use a Muskie or a Cat rod as my retriever Because of severe arthritis I can't hang onto the line, much less pull in a 20# pissed off fish
My friend Jack pine has a "Jug reel" mounted to an MK ( Maybe he'll post up pix)
Some things I learned Shooting off of docks and shore...
Rod angle affects the shot BAD Solution... leave 10 to 15' of line out and MAKE SURE THE BAIL IS OPEN
It's better to lay the rod on the dock over propping it up ($300 rod and reel in the drink taught me that)
Shooting from shore I like to find a neutral spot to lean the rod on ( Keeps the reel out of the dirt) and carry the loose line with me...Just be careful to NOT get the line tangled in the brush Nothing scarier than little sticks winging past your head at 300+ FPS.
I sold my other boat so the next step was I to find a boat to shoot out of... I'll fast forward on that and just say a lot of junk boats got looked at before I found my "O" 16 foot Ouachita It's not really a tri-hull or a flat bottom...But it is STABLE 2 guy's on the gun whale and it barely leans It's fiber glass so it's HEAVY and SLOW with just a 20 horse on it...I can spend the day in Knee deep water chasing fish.
I started by adding a bank of batteries, power inverter, and moving stuff around to gain prop. clearance and to make it more useable for the tripple duty it does...Fishing, Bow fishing and Crawdad trapping...

It's a work in progress that's still on the water 2-3 days a week so it looks awful

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is trying to show the swiveling rod holders , This set up is temporary...I plan on whacking up a jetski and mating it to the "O" for more shallow water fun! Plus I spend a lot of time on the river with LOTS OF NASTY STUFF Looking to mess up the "O"

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have been wanting to try bow fishing and find this most interesting. One question though. How do you keep the muskie reel from backlashing when you shoot? Too much brake would impede the arrow or send the entire outfit overboard. At least I would think so, but that is why I'm asking this question. Thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Pikeman,
I went to an open face reel on my Muskie rod about 14 years ago Arthritis , and Bait caster's don't mix well... In my Vert. days I used the cheap barrel and Zebco 808's (Shooting out of a Canoe....The bow went into the drink often)
I don't think I'd use a Bait caster to shoot with... I'd recommend an Open face
In my limited experience any Open face will do... But I think there is a slight advantage to the Larger spools on Big rigs...They seem to shoot smoother than the small spooled reels...
This brings up another point....Line choice...I really like Power pro Braided line I use the 100# super slick, On my Cat and Muskie rods And 65# on my mid weights ( I don't shoot the mid's)
It shoots with less drag than 50# monofilllament
Usually if a fish wraps in under water brush....With the Power Pro.....I'M PULLING THE BRUSH UP TOO
It's Brutally strong! It's only draw back, That I can see... Is it is hard on eyelets...I just use the cheap plastic inserts for the eyelets and it holds up well.. ( 2 Years on my Muskie rod )
Probably more info than you were looking for...
I hope it helps....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks Spec, that makes a lot of sense. And I sure understand about Arthur, the worst one of the Ritis
boys. He has limited some of what I do too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your more than welcome
I hope you can get out and STICK SOME SLIMEY'S

·
Registered
178 Posts
I live along the Illinois river and you can take a boat ride near bath or browning and have to duck for cover from flying carp. IT's unreal, never seen anything like it. When they jump out the river 50-60 fish at a time, people get hit by 20 pound carp. Black eyes and brusis if u aint ready. Invaive species that die by bow here. I mean shot in air.

·
3,321 Posts
I use to shoot verticals back in the 70's and used the Zebco 808 , it was a great working item for the times. I think if I was to get into bow fish hunting, I probably would just buy me a cheap vertical, set it up with a reel, and go that route, want need much speed, and I use to shoot instinctive anyways, just my thinking.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've started to build my crossbow fishing rig, I have to do it a little at a time until I get a large medical bill paid off I ordered my laser today then comes AMS fishing kit I'm going to build it just like Gene Schang of Crossbow Magazine it's in the 2016 summer issue. This issue came at a perfect time because I really was really wanting to build custom bowfishing crossbow and they made it a lot easier the did all the hard work.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts