Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an occasional shooter, I often came across crossbow descriptions stating something like :
"- Accurate up to 90 meters"
This is a real-world example (copy&paste) from the mankung.com website for the XB53.

I always wondered WTH that is supposed to mean. With a proper arrow, even cheap crossbows can be repeatably accurate up to their maximal range, apart from random wind gusts.
I suspect it just says, beyond that range you run out of scope tick marks. But that would be a scope feature, not a crossbow property. Is it ?

·
9,042 Posts
It's advertising … it doesn't have to make sense to someone who can think and reason. It only has to make sense to the sheep who need to be led.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, another example.
If you check the el cheapo crossbows below 100 bucks, the often state "accurate up to 30m". That's about 33 yd.
That things use to come without picatinny or weaver rail, just simple iron sights. And they max out very quickly.
IMHO a range of 30m/yd is not really an attractive advertisement.
Perhaps it is an European thing.

People in different places do different (and strange) things. I have heard of an island where cars use to drive on the wrong side of the road ... :eek:

·
9,042 Posts
Heck … when I was a youte half the cars on the road were traveling on the wrong side after closing time. :confused:;)

Reactions: Rit and Martymig

·
9,042 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
As an occasional shooter, I often came across crossbow descriptions stating something like :
"- Accurate up to 90 meters"
This is a real-world example (copy&paste) from the mankung.com website for the XB53.

I always wondered WTH that is supposed to mean. With a proper arrow, even cheap crossbows can be repeatably accurate up to their maximal range, apart from random wind gusts.
I suspect it just says, beyond that range you run out of scope tick marks. But that would be a scope feature, not a crossbow property. Is it ?
Advertising Hype is what sells bows, especially where speed and distance is concerned. The biggest problem here is what we all fear, technology has produced better killers, not better hunters......

·
9,042 Posts
Advertising Hype is what sells bows, especially where speed and distance is concerned. The biggest problem here is what we all fear, technology has produced better killers, not better hunters......
Yup … just like cars have produced less lethal drivers, but didn't produce BETTER drivers! Quite the opposite I'd say.

Reactions: SEW and Martymig

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I am responsible enough to know if I'm mentally capable enough to own any type of weapon. Maturity and being honest with one's self is key. Integrity is the first most important personality trait that is required for success in anything. If you cant do the right thing even when somebody is looking you better sale your weapons and pick up gardening for a sport.
I can't go around thinking or just taking it for granted that just because someone owns a gun or bow is going to do the right thing and has good morals. Just because this is what I would want in a person dosent mean they will act the way I think they should. People are dangerous and unpredictable and uncontrollable. I can only control and trust myself. I wouldn't even own a knife if I had any apprehension or reservations of doing the wrong thing with a weapon. You have to really know yourself and have good self control to own a dangerous tool and to operate it. There's nothing funny or to take jokingly in a deadly weapon or dangerous machinery such as a car. They just give anybody drivers lisences and then wait until the damage is done to confiscate their driving privilages....
I don't know where I'm headed with this and I don't want to open a can of worms so I'm shutting up for now....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup … just like cars have produced less lethal drivers, but didn't produce BETTER drivers! Quite the opposite I'd say.
Hah, I agree.
I hope the archery/crossbow development does not go in the same direction as with cars.
Not much longer, and the steering wheel will be taken out of the driver's hands.
BTW, my first cars had not even power steering, let alone ABS or "assistants".

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Advertising and marketing. Gots to sell more stuff ya know!
That a approach has been smelling quite bad lately. Unfair to the sheep that relies on accurate information. To me just not right from rifle comparisons to "up to" FPS tactics being used today. Now range accuracy? When did we loose outcomes from ownership of the user? To be proficient you need to practice, practice, practice. The rest is cosmetics because we all buy on emotion.

Reactions: mike-s and Martymig

·
9,042 Posts
Accuracy … is the combination of BOTH the equipment AND the shooter. Precision is the capability of the equipment alone.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guy, seems I'm not the only one having trouble with advertisement language.
While we are on it - I think it's a good idea this forum has banned politics. A field manned by the same PR ilk ...

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Accuracy … is the combination of BOTH the equipment AND the shooter. Precision is the capability of the equipment alone.
To me precision is the status quo today. You can find it pretty much anywhere. To take advantage of precision is to invest in your self-improvement to bring predictability. Precision is a part of that equation.

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Precision should be easy to measure.
Just "nail" the bow to a solid object, and shoot several times. The bolt should impact at the exact same spot.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Precision should be easy to measure.
Just "nail" the bow to a solid object, and shoot several times. The bolt should impact at the exact same spot.
I wouldn't go that far. There are some truly crappy arrows out there that wouldn't group well, despite the construction of the crossbow. A good arrow can make an o.k. bow look good and a bad arrow can make the best crossbow look average.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts