Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had four 20" carbon arrows come with my bow, will certainly need to buy more. Since I already have carbons, thought I would try XX75's to compare and decide which is best for me. My bow is 150 lb pull. With this weight is the 2216 or 2219 the best choice ? Will be shooting a 100 gr broadhead. Manufacturer states 425 grs minimum. Or are carbon arrows the best way to fly ? No experience with carbons, used aluminum all the time with my compound. Your thoughts please, thanks Ken

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
You can get the aluminums and carbons to weigh the same if you play with the components. So the weight issue isn't an issue.:) I like the carbons because in order to get the weight up, you need to use heavier inserts which results in a heavier front of center. A heavier front of center means you'll have better down range accuracy. Also, if group shooting, the carbons will take a lot more abuse from arrows smacking each other. My vote is, stay with the carbons.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks UL, As you probably figured out by now I am kind of "old school" having used aluminum for so many years. Actually I bought a doz Bemans for my compound 2 months ago then found out I had to have surgery again, never got to shoot them:( So, carbons it is.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Ha ha ha! This question is what every archery shooter has to decide for themselves with trial and error. Me? I'm a total believer in Aluminum arrows. I like the fact they don't flex when shot. I found with my set up, they tend to be more accurate. I also like the fact they come in day orange so I can find them easier in the field. Still have trouble with the day orange sometimes. I trialed carbon arrows in the field ( hunting), but found I shattered every single arrow I used. I also didn't like it when they shattered in the animal I intended to feed my family with as I deem them as toxic and they are splintered and I have to do more work to insure I get all those splinters out of the meat.
So, there you go. One for carbon, one for aluminum.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Guide Girl said:
Ha ha ha! This question is what every archery shooter has to decide for themselves with trial and error. Me? I'm a total believer in Aluminum arrows. I like the fact they don't flex when shot. I found with my set up, they tend to be more accurate. I also like the fact they come in day orange so I can find them easier in the field. Still have trouble with the day orange sometimes. I trialed carbon arrows in the field ( hunting), but found I shattered every single arrow I used. I also didn't like it when they shattered in the animal I intended to feed my family with as I deem them as toxic and they are splintered and I have to do more work to insure I get all those splinters out of the meat.
So, there you go. One for carbon, one for aluminum.
Make that two for carbons, lol. I like them because they are either good or broke [rarely for me] but never bent or dented. I prefer the Gold Tip Laser II's, w/ brass inserts and 4" vanes for hunting w/ wraps til they are gone. W/ 100 gr heads that adds up to about 446 gr, good, imho for hogs, deer, and black bear, which I have an abundance of but have never gotten a shot. I don't have GG's experience [not many of us do, lol] but the deer, hogs and turkeys I've shot have all been pass thru's, no splintered arrows yet. My 400 gr set up w/ Blazers give me 1 -1.5" groups at 50 yds, but kinda light for anything over deer and I can't work up the nerve to put bheads on them. Yet.

·
665 Posts
shoot both and see what you like better.

then use both:)

·
38 Posts
I like aluminums.
To get the total weight of 425 grains with "factory" arrows and 100 gr points you will have to probably use 2219s. I'd recommend using 2216s and a heavier point! After a few years of tinkering with crossbow arrows, I'm becoming a believer in the theory of going with a lighter weight arrow shaft, then adjusting weight up by adding a heavy point.
I'm presently shooting 2215 shafts with Blazer vanes, and a 100 gr point gives me a total weight in the 380 gr range. I plan to try some 2213 shafts set up the same way but with 125 gr broadheads this year (total weight should be close to the same) to see if accuracy improves any, but I'm already shooting very tight groups.
I've found the most damage to aluminums comes from target shooting. Not the shooting, but actually the pulling the arrow from the target. I'd recommend pulling them with a good puller (such as Dan Miller sells), and pulling them carefully so as not to bend them!

·
1,426 Posts
never used carbons either but ordered some up.. will just check for splintering before using, and then just shoot em... I never had real bad luck with aluminums, but was pretty careful with them ... either one will probably be good enough for starters and this season .. if you think the aluminum would be better for your uses or more durable then get those next year...
dk

·
11,407 Posts
I shoot both and IMHO there is

not a wide difference in accuracy but over all the carbons, for the reasons UL mentioned, tend to be slightly more accurate with more weight forward.

GG, "aluminums don't flex" ??? They are much more flexible than carbons.

The splintering could be a problem with carbons but I've not seen it yet.

Bottom line, either one you use will do the job for hunting. I don't believe there is a clear winner here. The biggest negative for aluminums is that they bend quite easily, especially at crossbow speeds. That is the main reason I use carbons more than aluminums.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i've found that i can make carbons work better with my set up for flatter trajectory and more ke at longer distances. i also have aluminums but the better speed and the not worrying about a bent bolt or one with a crack in it that is too small to see is another problem i have with aluminums. for me i stay with my carbons
rob k
shoot what your comfortable with

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
carbon vs. aluminim

Perhaps I rushed into my decision of carbons , (previous post). Quite a bit of new information and discussion now. I knew this would invoke some strong opinions and discussion( which is good). As stated I already have carbons, maybe not the best carbons, don't know, would assume they are of decent quality (Parker), so I guess I would always wonder "if" I don't at least try some aluminums. Back to aluminum choice. I have many Muzzy 100 gr. broadheads, used these for years in my compound with great results, would really like to stay with them. Is the 2216 shaft around 300 grs in 20"? So that would put me about 400grs with the 100 gr muzzy, 25 grs short of the recommended weight. Is this a problem? Thanks, Ken

·
11,407 Posts
Personally

I would not worry about being 25 grains shy, especially if they shoot good for you.

·
287 Posts
I have never shot aluminums so I dont know about them.
I shoot GT Laser II's with shrinkfletch quickspins and 100grn G5 Montecs.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Moonkryket said:
not a wide difference in accuracy but over all the carbons, for the reasons UL mentioned, tend to be slightly more accurate with more weight forward.

GG, "aluminums don't flex" ??? They are much more flexible than carbons.

The splintering could be a problem with carbons but I've not seen it yet.

Bottom line, either one you use will do the job for hunting. I don't believe there is a clear winner here. The biggest negative for aluminums is that they bend quite easily, especially at crossbow speeds. That is the main reason I use carbons more than aluminums.
Yep, love the aluminums with a 125 gr 4 blade MUZZY broadhead. For my set up, ( 175lb draw Horton Legend right now. I always use a 175 lb draw bow now that there are 175's instead of 165 lb bows) they fly more accurate IMO. I've used them for 10 years with a crossbow and this is what works for me and I've never had much trouble with a bent arrow unless I had used it previously to harvest an animal. Maybe 4 or 5 times? Yes, I reuse arrows that are good shape, but not to trophy hunt. Varmints and hogs. I have to admit, I am so not a target shooter. I hate the tedious task of shooting a target if it's not breathing. I use targets to sight in my bow and to discharge my bow after I'm done hunting, or if I think there's something off with my crossbow. Worse, is I'm sighting in a bow for someone else. I've learned how to do it in two or three shots tops. Mostly my experience is at live targets. Like I said, I'm not politically correct at all. I shouldn't say I re use arrows, but I'm honest.

·
211 Posts
tc scout said:
Perhaps I rushed into my decision of carbons , (previous post). Quite a bit of new information and discussion now. I knew this would invoke some strong opinions and discussion( which is good). As stated I already have carbons, maybe not the best carbons, don't know, would assume they are of decent quality (Parker), so I guess I would always wonder "if" I don't at least try some aluminums. Back to aluminum choice. I have many Muzzy 100 gr. broadheads, used these for years in my compound with great results, would really like to stay with them. Is the 2216 shaft around 300 grs in 20"? So that would put me about 400grs with the 100 gr muzzy, 25 grs short of the recommended weight. Is this a problem? Thanks, Ken

I shoot both carbon and alumin arrows in mine and really have no preference between them, 2216's are round 12gpi so a 20" bare shaft is around 240gr, inserts weigh around 25gr so insert/nock would be around 50gr +/-, which brings it up to around 290gr, vanes are 30gr so thats around 320gr, and 100gr heads would be around 420gr, add in all the glue involved and your probably JUST at(maybe a little over) the recommended weight

I'm a tinkerer to a fault and I've done quite a bit of FOC/weigh transfer with my arrows and one easy way to add another 25gr to alumin arrows(and imporove FOC while doing it) is to remove the collar on an insert so it can slide down inside the shaft and glue it in behind the main insert, you can also cut them down to be any weight inbetween nothing and 25gr you want...
I also drill out the "inside the shaft" insert and use .22 long rifle bullets pressed into them to get the desired weight I'm looking for as far as overall arrow weight, tips used, and desired FOC(I posted how I do it in another post), my alumin arrows are 2213's, they have 18% FOC and weigh 435gr with cut down inserts for nocks(12gr), feathers, 85gr thunderhead broadheads and weighted inserts
just for comparison I shoot beman thunderbolt carbons set up basically the same as my alumin arrows except I shoot 125gr tips instead of 85gr, they're pretty much the exact same weight and FOC-wise as my 2213's though(435gr and 18% FOC)

its kind of funny(and just coincidence) but I couldnt remember what they weighed right off the top of my head so just out of curiousity I weighed one of my vertical bow arrows(2114's) after I had my crossbow arrows already setup and found that they weigh 435gr also... I must like that arrow weight...

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GG, Whats wrong with reusing arrows? I once shot 3 deer with the same 2018 XX75 arrow in my compound. Spin test on the straightener, new blades and good to go. Guess I felt that was a "lucky" arrow. However, the third deer did it in :D .

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
tc scout said:
GG, Whats wrong with reusing arrows? I once shot 3 deer with the same 2018 XX75 arrow in my compound. Spin test on the straightener, new blades and good to go. Guess I felt that was a "lucky" arrow. However, the third deer did it in :mad: .
Awe, the anti crossbow ass I'm playing with, berated me over that a year ago
for reusing arrows or broadheads when the discussion was testing broadheads to see how many shots before noticing a difference, which actually never happened. I stopped before it showed signs, obvious signs of dulling, buy shooting little pigs on a hog removal job. I shot a few different ones 5 times each. He came unglued. said the Book says.. I said someone HAS to write the book, so....This was before it got as bad as our battle is now. I googled him again yesterday, and it shows, by chance, a thread about crossbows on that forum where we are politely dancing. Someone had posted a question about crossbows as they wanted to purchase
one, and he rang in with "just go buy a real bow or a muzzle loader" or something to that effect. See? This boy thinks he's somebody and wants to do Hunting TV shows. He got on with Hunting Canada and Beyond last season. He's a SBHA member, and read the BHA idiot book. I just keep a file of all the negative stuff he says, so I google him occasionally. buck1979. He's also a shooting staff for MUZZY. Also on Hunting Canada and Beyond site and Finesse fishing.com, his partner in crime cronie, Curtis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts