Crossbow Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to crossbow hunting I purchased a ki 415. I wondering what is a good 100 gram Broadhead I should be using.

·
8,430 Posts
TruGlo Titanium …

·
Registered
491 Posts
I use Grim Reaper XBow 100gr mechs. If dead deer could talk, they would hate me. 🙂

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am not a fan of mechanical broadheads or broadheads that have a cutting diameter you could drive a truck through. Everybody has their personal opinion, and mine is Slick Trick standards fixed four blades. They come surgical sharp right out of the package. Blades can be easily sharpened or replaced. I have been using them for about nine years with many deer shot, and quite happy with them. Whatever broadhead you choose, the number one and most important factor, "they should be surgical sharp". A smaller diameter surgical sharp broadhead will cause more blood lose then a larger diameter dull blade. Good Luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
I carry Muzzy 90 grain 4 blade. Harvested a ton of Deer with the Vertical bow, so brought it over to crossbows. Never let me down, and fly awesome . Good Luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you're talking about boar specifically, in my opinion I would go with the Truglo Titanium X mentioned above or the Slick Trick standard, WASP drone or similar small diameter fixed blade head. Boars are tough critters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're talking about boar specifically, in my opinion I would go with the Truglo Titanium X mentioned above or the Slick Trick standard, WASP drone or similar small diameter fixed blade head. Boars are tough critters.
Thank you Inspector98 there is so many options. I read a lot of reviews. I just want to be as sure as possible of ethical kill. I know shot placement is critical.

·
8,430 Posts
Thank you Inspector98 there is so many options. I read a lot of reviews. I just want to be as sure as possible of ethical kill. I know shot placement is critical.
I killed … a boatload of deer with Slick Trick Standards. Great broadhead. I might still be using them, BUT there have been reports of them getting squirrelly over about 380fps. With your 415fps crossbow, should you decide to use a fixed blade, I suggest you test each broadhead/arrow for accuracy. Personally, I don't want to be worrying about such things.

Reactions: Inspector98

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I killed … a boatload of deer with Slick Trick Standards. Great broadhead. I might still be using them, BUT there have been reports of them getting squirrelly over about 380fps. With your 415fps crossbow, should you decide to use a fixed blade, I suggest you test each broadhead/arrow for accuracy. Personally, I don't want to be worrying about such things.
I agree I want to be as confident as possible in the accuracy

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have used a lot of different broadheads over the years to harvest many whitetails but now I have 2 great broadheads that I use. I have my wife's crossbow set up with a Truglo Titanium X and my crossbow I have it set up with a Nap FOC 170 gr. with a 3 inch cutting diameter. We've killed close to a dozen deer with these combinations the last several years. I used Muzzy's and then switched over to Slick Tricks for about 4 or 5 years and really liked those heads but sometimes I didn't get the blood trails I expected trailing a dead deer. The Truglo Titanium X is a very strong broadhead I have shot mine over and over into a broadhead target with no damage to the blades or broadhead, if I was going on a hog hunt this would be the broadhead that I would use. Good luck with your choice they're a lot of great broadheads out there. I hope you get a big one.

Reactions: SEW and Iron Duke

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have used a lot of different broadheads over the years to harvest many whitetails but now I have 2 great broadheads that I use. I have my wife's crossbow set up with a Truglo Titanium X and my crossbow I have it set up with a Nap FOC 170 gr. with a 3 inch cutting diameter. We've killed close to a dozen deer with these combinations the last several years. I used Muzzy's and then switched over to Slick Tricks for about 4 or 5 years and really liked those heads but sometimes I didn't get the blood trails I expected trailing a dead deer. The Truglo Titanium X is a very strong broadhead I have shot mine over and over into a broadhead target with no damage to the blades or broadhead, if I was going on a hog hunt this would be the broadhead that I would use. Good luck with your choice they're a lot of great broadheads out there. I hope you get a big one.
I'm curious about your setup using the 170 gr FOC's. I am going to use a two blade, 3" cut, 150 gr Slayer (Dead Ringer) expanding broadhead. I'm wondering about penetration. I'll be using a total arrow weight of 500gr out of my TP Stealth NXT shooting about 380 fps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After years of playing games with all kinds...both mech and non...last year I switched to Thunderheads. Always consistent POI and, most importantly, I've had huge blood trails and 100% recovery with them. Unfortunately this has not been the case before, but had multiple harvest last year with very short tracking. If it's not broke, don't try to fix it. These are old styles of heads, and they've harvested a lot of deer. I shooting 100gr at 360fps with spine tested bolts. Dead on and just slightly (1") under field point POI at 30 yards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am not a fan of mechanical broadheads or broadheads that have a cutting diameter you could drive a truck through. Everybody has their personal opinion, and mine is Slick Trick standards fixed four blades. They come surgical sharp right out of the package. Blades can be easily sharpened or replaced. I have been using them for about nine years with many deer shot, and quite happy with them. Whatever broadhead you choose, the number one and most important factor, "they should be surgical sharp". A smaller diameter surgical sharp broadhead will cause more blood lose then a larger diameter dull blade. Good Luck
Surgical sharp is the SECOND requirement IMO. FIRST requirement is accuracy. I don't care how sharp they are, it's a moot point if they aren't hitting where you want them to. How is the accuracy and consistency on those heads at 400+ PFS?

·
Registered
171 Posts
For hogs I'd agree with others here. TruGlo Titanium X for XB or something in the SEVR line of mechanical heads. The latter using O-rings though, which I don't personally care much for. Any reputable fixed blade head that will fly accurately and do so with consistency is hard to beat for hogs too. Good luck and get to trying out some heads before your hunt! Let us know what flew most consistently for you in the end.

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
For hogs I'd go with Rocket Steelheads. Ive shot them for deer. Also Swhackers, Torrid SS. This year shooting Dead Ringer Nasties. All mechanicals. I like 'em better than fixed heads. Bigger cuts. Flies like your field points.;)

·
8,430 Posts
I'm curious about your setup using the 170 gr FOC's. I am going to use a two blade, 3" cut, 150 gr Slayer (Dead Ringer) expanding broadhead. I'm wondering about penetration. I'll be using a total arrow weight of 500gr out of my TP Stealth NXT shooting about 380 fps.
I killed … about 12-18 deer with NAP-FOC @ 3" trying to see if the big broadhead would bleed off energy to prevent collateral damage and make it easier to find the arrow after the pass through. That and to see if there was any improvement in death runs and blood trails. My conclusions:

#1. There was no noticeable decrease in death run distances and blood trails were about normal.
#2. They DID give up a lot of energy passing through, particularly if shooting from less than a classic broadside shot. You need a lot of horsepower to run those big heads. 380fps/500gr qualifies.
#3. I just wasn't comfortable with the single plane cut, even if it was big. I felt like some shots weren't performing as well as a Spitfire Maxx/Edge/XXX or Ramcat. Didn't feel the confidence to take some angles that I normally will. Some shots look like a demented axe murder went postal on the deer, and some shots the deer ran into the next zip code. No rhyme nor reason.

Reactions: SEW and archer36

·
Registered
171 Posts
For hogs I'd go with Rocket Steelheads. Ive shot them for deer. Also Swhackers, Torrid SS. This year shooting Dead Ringer Nasties. All mechanicals. I like 'em better than fixed heads. Bigger cuts. Flies like your field points.;)
Got me some Nasties too. Looking forward to shooting them.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.