Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered new nitro-X and would like to use Mechanical Broad Heads that DO NOT open in flight.
Any one with best choice?

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
I personally like the Hypodermics but any mechanical can open in flight if not set up correctly. I have shot lots of different ones over the years and never had a failure. Safest way is just to add a dental band to assure they will stay closed until impact. That said, I have never used a dental band either. :)

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
My bows aren't SUPER fast so I just use the bands that come with the heads. Currently I'm shooting Swhacker 2-bladed heads and Rocket 3-blade Steelheads. Never a problem with either. I just bought out my local Walmart getting the 100 gr. Torrid SS 3-bladed heads to try. If I was shooting 400 fps I'd add a second band.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I have the Nitro-X on order too and I plan on using the
NAP DoubleCross. I have used them out of my Carbon Nitro and really like them a lot.
They have worked great on deer and I plan on using them this Spring turkey season.
They are very accurate and have been reliable.....so far.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have some double cross to try. I may see how they fly this weekend. I also have some fixed blade slick trick griz trick to try. I will test them out to 40 yards and see how they fly.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
You will like the way the double cross fly. I hold 1/4" groups at 60 yards out of Aculeus. No bands or o rings or collars. They never open in flight and allways open in deer. Good blood trails. I never lost a deer or turkey. I always worry about deflection with any rear deploying blade. I understand the new Nap Swingfire is suppose to be an awesome head as well. I am going to try the Nap XXX with a dental band some day.

·
259 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Do an online search on the Truglo Titanium Mechanical Broadhead.

I searched and searched for a mechanical broadhead for a couple of years. This head is very sturdy, can be shot over and over without coming apart, and is extremely accurate. I was a little leery because it is new but after doing my own testing I have now bought a bunch of these and have stopped researching and stopped testing.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ordered new nitro-X and would like to use Mechanical Broad Heads that DO NOT open in flight.
Any one with best choice?
Just bought some g5 deadmeats - have nice system won't open in flight and broad heads fly same as practice tip. My Ravin shoots over 400 fps, so need one that won't open at fast speeds. Haven't shot them yet though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Swhackers. They will be deadly out of the Nitro.

Going to be doing some extensive testing of the Slick Trick Raptortrick expandable broadhead very soon as well. Look for a full report in our spring issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm hunting good size deer here in Colorado, seen plenty of broadheads with removable blades break when hitting ribs and other bones. I've shot a good number of deer with compounds and x-bows using Montec G5 carbon steel broadheads, they always go completely through and while their not big they kill quickly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the Nitro-X on order too and I plan on using the
NAP DoubleCross. I have used them out of my Carbon Nitro and really like them a lot.
They have worked great on deer and I plan on using them this Spring turkey season.
They are very accurate and have been reliable.....so far.
I got a pack of those double crosses and the bleeder blades are not deploying for some reason the main Blades of the Broadhead are shooting it out of a ghost 360 with a Bloodsport Arrow at 30 yards and 20 yards

·
Registered
92 Posts
Swhackers. They will be deadly out of the Nitro.

Going to be doing some extensive testing of the Slick Trick Raptortrick expandable broadhead very soon as well. Look for a full report in our spring issue.
I've seen those on the market now them a real similar to the swhacker I bet the fly just as good

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a pack of those double crosses and the bleeder blades are not deploying for some reason the main Blades of the Broadhead are shooting it out of a ghost 360 with a Bloodsport Arrow at 30 yards and 20 yards
I tested some double cross broadheads last year. They shot very accurately to 50 yards, deployed every time, but the blades tore up bent or broke every shot into a 18-1 target. went through 5 of the 6 broadheads in 5 shots.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Schwacker is a front deploying head. Double Cross is a rear deploying but the bleeder blades are like the spitfire. I have had good success with them on deer and turkey. I have shot them out to 60 yards and they are accurate. The main blades are 1 7/8". I have never had one fail to do its job.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts