Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm for sure a crossbow newbie & by looking at my post count you can see I'm sort of a lurker trying to learn as much as I can. This will be my 3rd deer-crossbow-hunting-season, this 2020. My first xbow was a PSE Fang & I traded up to a KI Ripper. I hope someday I will be experienced enough to provide my own insights to share with this board. So far I've come to some conclusions & I was wondering if I'm way off in my thinking.
  • I sold my PSE Fang & sorry I did. You should always have a back-up xbow if you're serious about your deer season. The mechanics of the xbow means careful attention to maintenance for safety & reliability sake. Have a back-up!
  • New high-tech xbow are now approaching 500 fps velocity levels - that is getting close to a .45 slug! But even so, the xbow used for hunting should be considered a short range weapon. Even at 500 fps a lot can happen during arrow time-of-flight. I know that all to well from my vertical bow days from all the deer that jumped or ducked my string.
  • No matter what model or what you do, there is no such thing as a quiet xbow. Mine sounds like a .22 rifle!
  • High-end bows are usually more accurate because the buyer is usually buying high-end arrows to match. Xbow accuracy is a function of properly matching arrows to the xbow & a xbow that is tuned to the best it can be. Even a bargain name brand xbow properly tuned by the owner or competent archery shop can be stunningly accurate with perfectly matched arrows.It is not unusual for six properly configured arrows to cost more than the bargain xbow.
These are some of my conclusions & perhaps just food for thought. Your comments (& flames) are welcome. Dave

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That ripper is fast and accurate. Loudest xbow I have shot. Blue Loctite all screws,even where you cannot see them. Good set of limb dampeners and some softer string stops.(bowjax jumbo stops) Will help quiet it down and relieve some recoil. That is ,if you have not already done all of this. Also some dampeners out on the foot stirrup

·
2,788 Posts
I don't think anything you posted is off base. That said, crossbow hunting means many different things to different hunters. Some hunt in a way that makes a longer range, faster crossbow a true asset. I and many others hunt pretty much the same way we did when carrying a compound bow. Equipment choices will vary accordingly. I am personally finding myself about in the same place I was with compound bows. I went through a ton of them, and at one time I had as many as 6. When I cut it back to one bow, I just shot a lot more consistently and better. While crossbows are less feel perhaps, I am getting to the point where I shoot better with one than others that have a different feel, trigger, etc. A crossbow and a very similar or identical second would be ideal for me. That or one bow and spare limbs. I also agree that accuracy with the crossbow is far more about the arrows than the crossbow.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You do have a handle on crossbows in general. Two things to keep in mind. If you ask certain questions, as a example about broadhead preference, to 10 different people, you may get 10 different answers. You may need to do your own homework. Secondly, always keep in mind that in crossbow discussions there are two different categories hunting and target. Good luck.
Should also mention a bit of story about your user name "pertnear. I myself being old school,Out of habit, I use that word a lot in normal conversations. When my grandson was about six years old, he asked me why I keep saying that word and what did it mean. I really stumbled for a answer.. :) I pertnear fell off my chair. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do have a handle on crossbows in general. Two things to keep in mind. If you ask certain questions, as a example about broadhead preference, to 10 different people, you may get 10 different answers. You may need to do your own homework. Secondly, always keep in mind that in crossbow discussions there are two different categories hunting and target. Good luck.
Should also mention a bit of story about your user name "pertnear. I myself being old school,Out of habit, I use that word a lot in normal conversations. When my grandson was about six years old, he asked me why I keep saying that word and what did it mean. I really stumbled for a answer.. :) I pertnear fell off my chair. ;)
Thanks to you & the others for the great responses! My comments are for sure directed at hunting. I love target shooting & I'm fascinated by the 100 yd xbow shooters. Just like our target shooting brothers that hit steel plates a 1,000 yds, what they learn, know & pass on contributes greatly to our respective sports.

...and my username is definitely a Texas "thing". Texas is where I've lived my whole life & don't plan to leave. I've written a lot of stories about Texans & that "way" about 'em! There is a link on my About page if you're interested. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
[QUOTE="pertnear, post: 1365202, member: ]

It is not unusual for six properly configured arrows to cost more than the bargain xbow.
[/QUOTE]
Don't know where you have been buying custom arrows but 6 should cost no more than $80 to $100 plus nocks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are some bargain crossbows out there for around the $100 mark, specifically the Barnett Jackal for one. I ordered my custom spined arrows for about $9 apiece. Add lights & broadheads & the price is really up there!

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are some bargain crossbows out there for around the $100 mark, specifically the Barnett Jackal for one. I ordered my custom spined arrows for about $9 apiece. Add lights & broadheads & the price is really up there!
I see you were talking the cheapest of the cheap. I was talking about Centerpoint bows, they are 250 to 350

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad you are getting into Xbows. I’m new also and bought a Parker Hammer 325 a couple of years ago. Accurate out to 40 yards with my 426 BEEs and I’m happy. Get pass throughs most of the time. Now I’m in the market for a new bow around 400fps. So a new learning experience for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see you were talking the cheapest of the cheap. I was talking about Centerpoint bows, they are 250 to 350
As the season approaches, many gun hunters will start looking at crossbows to extend their season. A xbow seems like a natural transition from the rifle world since it has a scope & trigger. This attraction is good for the sport. Hunters that don't have a mentor usually start with a lower cost xbow package. For example, I knew nothing about xbows & didn't know anyone that used one. I was a PSE vertical bow guy so I got started by looking at my trusted PSE brand. The Fang fit my budget & I used it along with the packaged arrows to shoot a deer & a hog. I learned from my vertical bow days that 20 yds (or there-abouts) was a good bow shot for success. With the packaged arrows that worked out just fine. It shot 2" sort of groups at 20 yds, but my groups at 30 to 35 yds were about +4" off a bench rest. From this forum I learned about other xbows brands & using better arrows. I can't compete with the target guys, but I'm now amazed at how accurate my Ripper with custom arrows shoots out to 40 yds! I don't want to ever shoot that far on deer, but a hog YES! Here in Texas we are blessed with a lot of game, especially on the ranches I'm allowed to hunt. I can afford to be patient & get a high-percentage shot.

To my original point, I was wondering if any savvy crossbow shooters here have ever taken a Jackal, Fang or similar low cost xbow, tuned it & matched a set of arrows to it & then tested for accuracy? Just wondering what the results would be. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Pertnear'
You know a thing or two!

I have a fine Ripper that I am proud to own. Lately I tried it long range to verify the Hawke scope. It performed beyond my expectations to 115 yards for fun challenge.

Now I am ready for season.

If you want to bounce a question just ask.
Don't let anyone fool you all crossbows are about as loud as the next. An expert did a test to show most range in the low 80 decibel with very few in high 70s.

Good luck!
Spot

·
Registered
125 Posts
I shoot I PSE thrive 365 so not much of a upgrade over the Fang Just has the aluminium rail vs plastic. I was able to get it tuned to shoot same hole accuracy at 40Y and close to same hole at 60Y with out much trouble. Though a 9X scope upgrade helps when trying to fine tune it to same hole accuracy at longer distances.

As for the arrows My personal opinion is it isn't to hard to get any reasonable arrow to shoot same hole accuracy at 40Y or so but trying to get say 10 different arrows that all shoot in the same hole will cost you a lot of money or a lot of time tuning perhaps even a bit of both. I don't see the point in spending that kind of money or time. I only ever need one arrow to kill a animal. So I just sight the bow in using one arrow and make scope adjustments until it shoots same hole at the range I hunt (out to about 40Y).

Now if I took another arrow from my 6 pack I'm sure it would shoot say 1" low and 1/2" to the right and all 6 would be slightly different (some worse than others) The one arrow I dialed in though will be same hole consistent if I Do my part.

If I misplace that arrow or it gets damaged I just take another arrow and tweak the scope unit I get that same hole accurate and that's my new hunting arrow.

One thing I will say with inexpensive crossbows is how they feel to shoot like trigger feel or how smooth they shoot. fit finish and sound - vibration. Even how harsh they are on strings and cables is not the best on the inexpensive bows. Perhaps it wouldn't make much difference to how accurate you could be but one will be a pleasure to own and use the other not so much.

If I was to purchase a replacement crossbow to replace my inexpensive bow the criteria would be. Quality components, low wearing design and components, smooth, Simple cable design that reduces wear. Non contact rail, no harsh string angles, adjustable stock and cheek piece, solid scope rail mount that's well supported, quality adjustable trigger. Well balanced and not to heavy.

I'm sure you most likely only get the above on the more expensive bows but I think it would be wroth it. That said I wouldn't pay more for speed if it just makes for a harsh bow that chews strings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.....As for the arrows My personal opinion is it isn't to hard to get any reasonable arrow to shoot same hole accuracy at 40Y or so but trying to get say 10 different arrows that all shoot in the same hole will cost you a lot of money or a lot of time tuning perhaps even a bit of both. I don't see the point in spending that kind of money or time. I only ever need one arrow to kill a animal. So I just sight the bow in using one arrow and make scope adjustments until it shoots same hole at the range I hunt (out to about 40Y).....
Wow, I really learned something here - that makes perfect sense! It's easy to get so caught up concentrating on the equipment that one forgets the hunting requirements. After all, xbows are basically single shots. One arrow or 2 arrows that shoot alike is enough to hunt. This old dog learned a new trick.

·
8,875 Posts
#1. Do you REALLY need a backup? If your crossbow buys the farm while you're in the woods your hunt is done anyway. Just drive to the nearest archery shop or box store and whalla, you have a backup. Which by the way, you'll probably NEVER need. I've been killing deer with crossbows for a decade and never needed the backup bow. You'd be better served by taking the $500.00 you'd spend on a low level backup and invest it in better arrows and broadheads and an upgrade to your optics. That way you'll be getting the most out of both yourself and the crossbow you're shoot the 99.9% of the time you have a crossbow in your hands. Nowadays, if you can't fix an issue yourself, a guy like Wyvern Creations can have your bow back to you in a week. Why have the $500.00 sitting in the backseat … forever?...lol

#2. You were doing something wrong if you had more than one deer "jump a string" in the old days. I never had a deer, or heard any friend or acquaintance say they had a deer "jump the string." It's not a rampant problem with crossbows. The range of the crossbow is determined by the skills of the hunter. It's a sliding scale determined by a host of criteria. You can't make a blanket maximum range statement that covers everyone.

#3. I agree. The report of a subsonic .22 bullet is just about right ...lol

#4. Logical train of thought. Good thinking. Expensive high performance crossbows aren't any more inherently accurate than a decent budget crossbow. It's to a large degree the better optics, better arrows, and generally those that spend a lot of money are more dedicated to being good at something.

Good thread. Well done! (y)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Well I am not savvy but found a jackal at walmart on clearance for $49.00. Bought it for my son. Put a different scope on it, had it reserved and advanced cams. It shoots dots at 40 yards at 330 fps with 400 gn. They regularly sell for 199.00.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
$49 for a new crossbow......only in the USA.

That wouldn't even buy you the cardboard box in Australia. :(
I have also gotten great buys due to all the crossbow offerings coming of the market. When they are closing out older product for example. Afterall there are only so many buyers for all those new brands flowing into the market. I always keep an eye out for a steal.

·
Registered
672 Posts
...and my username is definitely a Texas "thing". Texas is where I've lived my whole life & don't plan to leave. I've written a lot of stories about Texans & that "way" about 'em! There is a link on my About page if you're interested. :D
I hate to break it to you but, the "word" Pertnear has to do more with the user's age than their location...
I hear that term up here pretty regular. But it's a horse a piece.

Also, I have a PSE Fang. I didn't bother to shoot the arrows it came with much, mostly because the inserts got stuck in my target and pulled out of the arrows. I bought some Victory Xbolts on the recommendation of a local archery shop, and after culling half of that batch I have a quiver of arrows that get me nearly same hole accuracy out to 35yards. I wish I would have started with a batch of Jerry's arrows, but I was a little unsure of how this would all work out for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah sconnies have some of that southern slang mixed in with midwest and Canadian slang doncha kno?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts