Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am brand new to crossbow shooting. I purchased an Equinox a couple months ago. I have started
shooting it, but the shots are very erratic. One will be on target and the next won’t even be on paper. I videoed a shot to see what was happening and I noticed that the arrow is coming out sideways. Any ideas on to why this is happening? My bow has a 225 draw weight and I am shooting a 22 in, 13.8 GPI bolt with a 100 grain tip. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
You better talk to the guy who sold it to you.

·
2,880 Posts
Check the limbs for splinters. The only way I’ve seen a recurve crossbow have issues like the is when the tiller is way off. Check the measurements from the limb to the string just off each side of the riser. Or hold a square on the barrel and see if the string is square.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Notify the brand support for help

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Sounds like a bad limb to me. Contact Excalibur and see what they say about it. Can you take a pic of it cocked and post it here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You better talk to the guy who sold it to you.
I have spoken to them and they had nothing wrong with it.
Check the limbs for splinters. The only way I’ve seen a recurve crossbow have issues like the is when the tiller is way off. Check the measurements from the limb to the string just off each side of the riser. Or hold a square on the barrel and see if the string is square.
Layman’s term? Lol. As I said, I’m new to this

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Are you shooting off a rest or free-arming it? Try shooting the same arrow (the one that hits the target) each time and see if POI changes like you are saying it does. You didn't mention the kind and weight of the arrows youre shooting.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have spoken to them and they had nothing wrong with it.

Layman’s term? Lol. As I said, I’m new to this
Ok! In that case check your arrow nocks for eccentric condition.
To do that with your finger nail fill if part of the nock head is protruding above the shaft where it can rub the rail instead of the shaft.
I have them to fish tail off the rail with this condition.

·
Registered
67 Posts
how are you cocking the bow? It sounds like the bow is not being cocked consistently. You should be using a rope cocking aid. Cocking by hand is not the best way.

·
2,880 Posts
Tiller is the measurement from the back of the limb to the string when the bow is uncocked. Measure from the same place for each limb (just outside the riser). Each side should measure the same. Other things you can measure are the side of the barrel to the outside of the limb tip on each side (when it is cocked) to see if they are the same. Your pics make it seem like the right limb MAY be bending more than the left, but it’s hard to be sure from the angle of the pic. It is just very unusual for a recurve Crossbow to launch an arrow that flies so far off sideways like your original pic shows.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
In the uncocked position, mark the bow string on each side of the rail-stock with white out.
When the crossbow is cocked, these markings should be equidistant from the center where the arrow lies.
If not, then, especially if hand cocking the crossbow, this could be a reason why the arrow is not coming
out of the bow and hitting the point of aim.
Adding a level bubble to the bow will show if one is tilting or canting the bow.
If you have not already done this, block the bow level. Hang a plumb bob 10 to 20 feet in front of the bow.
Look through the scope to see if the vertical line in the scope aligns with the plumb bob (string with a weigh on it).

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Been a while since i trouble shot older wide limbed models. Check to see if the rail & stock can be moved. If they do take the stock screws out & pull the stock off. Check the trigger screws to make sure they are tight. Stock screws that are loose will also cause your problem. Loose scope mount screws & scope ring screws will also do that

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Its pushing the arrow nock hard into the left side of the rail groove in the pic....
Lets see a pic of the nock end of your arrows....

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts