Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a crossbow.
Since I am a new to crossbows, I need some help
I am looking for a quite crossbow if one exists.
I have shot a Parker Tornado in my backyard. I also tries out several brands at a local dealer.
Most of these seemed loud to me coming from recurve bows and compound bows.

In general is there any noise difference between recurve crossbows and compound crossbows when they are shooting the same weight arrow at the same velocity? I know it will take a heavier draw weight recurve crossbow to compete with the compound.

Thanks
GeoFish

·
Registered
84 Posts
you have to remember arrow speed. deer are quick to jump but not that quick....the job is done before they can react. deer dont jump a string...they go down to bolt off

·
Registered
84 Posts
you have to remember arrow speed. deer are quick to jump but not that quick....the job is done before they can react. deer dont jump a string...they go down to run off

·
Registered
84 Posts
you have to remember arrow speed. deer are quick to jump but not that quick....the job is done before they can react. deer dont jump a string...they go down to run off . acurasy plus speed = sound doesnt matter..sorry i cant spell for $%#@

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The Barnett Ghost 400 is a compound crossbow with limbs laminated in rubber. Its quiet, much quieter than my other crossbows.
The noise from crossbows is caused from vibration. You can reduce vibration, thus reducing noise by shooting a heavier grain arrow or heavier grain tip/broadhead.
However, my slowest crossbow is a Barnett Jackal shooting at 315 fps. Yet no deer has ever jumped ths string... not even at 30 yards.
Personally I don't worry too much about noise. I'd rather have the deer scatter when I shoot so that I don't get busted getting out of my blind to track a deer. Cause if they just hear a noise they'll be back. But if they see you getting out of the blind or stand... then its game over for awhile.
Hope that helps.
Happy Hunting
lovetohunt

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have had standard compound crossbows, reverse limb crossbows and recurve limb crossbows. They all make noise.
Reliability, accuracy, comfort and warranty would be my top priority.

Reactions: DocR

·
1,222 Posts
Normally, the more parallel the limbs are, the quieter the sound will be.

The reverse draw bows are a good example, most all of them are fairly quiet. Some of the newer regular bows designs with as I said, the limbs are more parallel rather than straighter, are quieter thAn bows with the limbs more straight out.

But remember, all crossbows are noisy, plain and simple..

Mike

·
Crossbow Nut
3,124 Posts
Kochie is right, just go hunting. This is a non-issue that gets way too much discussion. A while back someone started a thread on the order of "Have you ever got a 2nd shot with your crossbow". I would have thought the fact that the sound obviously didn't bother the deer enough for the shooter to get a 2nd shot would have ended this discussion, but I guess not. Unless you shoot while a deer is staring at you, it won't be a problem. If you just want to accessorize or decorate your crossbow, then go ahead, but no one has succeeded in silencing a crossbow, every deer killed with a crossbow heard the shot that killed it.... unless it was deaf. If the sound bothers YOU, there is always gun muffs or earplugs.

Jack >

Reactions: msflatlander

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you want quiet shoot a vertical bow. Crossbows are loud. Just go hunting like 2 other people have said above.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm assuming you will be using your new Xbow for deer hunting. There are many things that should be strongly considered in your selection process. But the most basic and important requirement and consideration is personal fit. Both of my crossbows fit like and extension of my body, but getting one to fit was not an easy process.

I would not get hung up on noise. I have 2 they are both very loud especially in comparison to every vertical bow I have ever owned or hunted with (compounds or recurves). My bows are a Mission MXB 320 and a Barnett Quad 400 and I have taken a number of deer with both and they are as I received them, other than assembly. I have taken deer with shots out to 50 yards (in perfect weather and wind conditions), 40 yards many times, but the majority taken were 30 yards and under for the last 5 years and all have piled up within my line of sight, but everyone has been a double lung pass through shot. Both of these are fast shooting, hard hitting, shoot through xbows, both fit my frame perfectly. The 320 is adjustable ( it's narrow, fast, and lighter - I use it for tree stands early season) and the Quad was a natural fit (with the scope forward to the end of the rail) it's fat, heavy, but fast (I use it for specifically ground blinds and shooting sticks in cold weather - late season).

I'm personally convinced that any crossbow that spits out an arrow over 300 FPS is putting the arrow there at 40 yards far faster than the animal can react.

I'm in no way promoting the bows that I use to anyone, as we are all different. But I do suggest that you take your time review this forum (there is a weath of knowledge and experience available to you) test and shoot as many as possible (big box stores are not the answer for this), shoulder and check a lot of crossbows for fit and feel.

It can be the fastest and most accurate crossbow on the planet, but if it fits you like a saddle on a sow, it is useless, in my book.

·
2,007 Posts
Crossbows are louder than compound bows for two main reasons. 1st Compound bows, most shoot at least 5 grainsper pound or more. Crossbow would be lucky to have 3 grains per pound. 2nd most crossbows are at least twice the draw weight of a compound bow. All that energy creates vibration which translates into noise.
The reason the reverse limb bows seem quieter than the others is more to do with draw weight than anything.
As an example a 130 lb reverse limb bow, shoots the same arrow and speed as most regular 180 lb compound crossbows.

Believe what you want about a deer being able to get under an arrow. It has been video proven time and time again that a deer can react to the sound of noise and go down to load its legs in 1/8 of a second.
A bow shooting 300fps traveling 90 feet takes 3/10 of a second. There have been plenty of hunters kill deer at 30 yards and less that will say it can't happen. Like I said believe what you want, I have had it proven to me to many times to say it can't happen.

·
3,321 Posts
No matter how loud the sound it's a sound, and as we all know it don't take squat to freak out a deer, so don't worry about the sound unless it bothers you, then if you want you can add a bunch of stuff to make it a little less loud, other than that , there are more important things to look at !!! just saying !!! Happy Trails !!!

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
My 1st year with a crossbow killing deer.....I thought they were loud too, but after 4 deer put in the freezer with shots out to 30 yards I really dont think the sound matters. I'm shooting a factory 330 fps bow, but using heavier arrows. If I'm shooting 315 fps that's fast enough. I dont plan on taking shots past 35 yards when hunting.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you're looking for a quiet crossbow the Scorpyd Ventilator is the quietest crossbow on the market! I have the vent 150 and my dad has the matrix 355. Mine is way quieter than his!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I've said this a few times. When the day comes I can float through the air to track a deer so no noise is made... then I'll worry about a silent crossbow.
In all honestly I've had deer right back on my baitpile within an hour of dragging a shot deer out (according to trailcam). Proof that noise isn't an issue.
My main focus is staying scent free and hunting the wind.
Happy Hunting
lovetohunt

·
10 Posts
i agree with several posters, you cant make any bow quiet enough to the point a deer wont hear it, but you can quiet them all down in some way. I think the key is to make the shot when the deer isnt on high alert. At an indoor archery club one year the guys got to arguing about whether a deer could dodge a fast bow, and one of the guys got behind the backstop and held a string attached to a target so he couldnt see but could react to the sound of the shot. At 20 yards nobody could get an arrow in that target before he jerked it out of the way. I realise its not quite the same thing, since deer have to drop to load their legs but its something to keep in mind.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I too feel that a deer reacts not only to the sound of the shot, as well as the noise of the arrow, but the sight of the arrow in flight. The deer in my avatar - a regular visitor to my back-yard foodplot - reacted less to the noise of the shot, when she was busy feeding, even though she was just 10 yards from the target, than the flight of the arrow if she was looking my way. Moreover, the noise of the bow, even that of the arrow hitting the target, did not cause her to leave immediately; but the sight of the arrow flying did. (Distance to target is 42 yards).

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
scottycoyote said:
i agree with several posters, you cant make any bow quiet enough to the point a deer wont hear it, but you can quiet them all down in some way. I think the key is to make the shot when the deer isnt on high alert. At an indoor archery club one year the guys got to arguing about whether a deer could dodge a fast bow, and one of the guys got behind the backstop and held a string attached to a target so he couldnt see but could react to the sound of the shot. At 20 yards nobody could get an arrow in that target before he jerked it out of the way. I realise its not quite the same thing, since deer have to drop to load their legs but its something to keep in mind.
Very interesting, but also a bit of a difference.
The guy holding the string would have a fast reaction time cause he was ready for the shot. It would have been totally different if you put a guy behind a curtain and told him to pull a string if he heard a sound. Leave for three hours, quietly sneak back and take a shot. His guards would be let down cause he wouldn't be expecting the shot three hours later.
Now I highly doubt a deer will be hanging out for three hours, but their guard is down, just like the guy who let his guards down.
I've shot deer at 30 yards with 315 fps. Watched my Lumenok hit where I aimed and then see the deer rear its back legs when I see the Lumenok heading to the ground after passing through the deer. But I also take my shots when the deer has its head down feeding and is twitching its tail (meaning its relaxed).
However if a deer is on high alert and senses something isn't right, then yes it may be just like the guy with the string... ready to move at any sound.
I don't disagree with your post. Its very accurate to a situation when a deer is on high alert and aware something isn't right (probley stomping and standing tall, short soft wheeze), those deer are ready to haul butt. I never take a shot at a deer on high alert unless its within 15 yards cause then it may jump a string if out further.
So yes your post is accurate... depending on distance and alertness.
Thanks for sharing.
Respectfully & Sincerely
lovetohunt

1 - 20 of 34 Posts