Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not Defense but Offense in order to protect and preserve our right to hunt with crossbows!! Vertical bow hunters are proposing that limitations be put on crossbow hunters in order to handicap us.

We need to put together a long list of talking points that can be used when engaging the public, Game & Fish personnel, Politicians, etc. If crossbow hunters are all on the same page our offense will be much more effective.

To kick this off I will offer up the following.
1. Has the number of deer harvested significantly increased since crossbows were legalized for hunting? You need that statistic and not just someone’s opinion.

Bill

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
2. Does the use of crossbows help to get more youth involved in hunting?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really? With a $20 membership fee it looks more like a money maker to me. I would have joined if it was free and fought with you.
The guy who runs the coalition prints and sends out letters to legislation, attends events/trade shows, sets up booths handing out flyers, uses other forms of outreach. These things aren't free, unfortunately. I was happy to give him my $20.

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.nycrossbowcoalition.com/

We're on the offensive here in NY.
Good for you!! Now that is taking action. Even more importantly is the daily interaction crossbow hunters have with family, friends, coworkers, and the general public. We need them enlisted as allies. We must not just complain about the situation but offer up the facts.

New York crossbow hunter’s proactive stance is to be commended!!

Bill
2. Does the use of crossbows help to get more youth involved in hunting?
How many of us are good ambassadors for crossbow hunting? Get the youth involved early or loose out to the anti-hunters!!
Bill

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5. Does the use of a crossbow reduce the number of animals wounded and lost?

6. Has the number of archery hunters in your state increased or decreased? Again you need the published statistics if available and not opinions.

7. How’s the current deer population in your state? Ours is exploding in some areas.

Once all these questions have answers for your particular state spread the word!!

Bill

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
All good questions....and you are right! We NEED to know these answers. Here in Ga we don't have the same battles some of you guys are facing. Our bow season is full inclusion, there's no limits on bow poundages, nothing about broadheads, etc. Sometimes I think here the laws are too liberal. I don't know about everybody else here in Ga but I just impose my own standards on the equipment I use and the size and numbers of deer I decide to shoot. Every year when the DNR does their surveys I always ask to reduce out limits. I think it's a waste letting people kill 10 does every year....and some do just because it's legal.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
8.) Let’s assess the technology advancements for vertical bows if complaints are gonna be generated by the vertical advocates against crossbows. The vertical crowd today are taking much longer shots(70-100 yards)and this is being done by those in the industry many young hunters look up to and will try to emulate. I actually shot a vertical bow for many years and on a target range out to 80 yards was much more accurate then I am currently shooting a crossbow offhand. Why not just hunt with your weapon of choice and quit bickering about what other people choose to hunt with.

·
13,227 Posts
Really? With a $20 membership fee it looks more like a money maker to me. I would have joined if it was free and fought with you.
Politics is money … and it's been money back to the dawn of civilization. You want something? It's going to cost money. Just look to the Romans and how Caesar placated the mobs in Rome ...lol We MUST donate to and/or financially support our, or your causes.

This was the main reason I subscribed to Todd Bromley's Crossbow Magazine back when it was introduced. Todd created a viable, sustainable publication that helped legitimize crossbows. Is there any successful sport that doesn't have a magazine? Todd gave us one. That fact alone helped to spread the word during the crossbow inclusion battles. Initially, Todd used some of the very authors who we now look to for wisdom around here. Some of the "regulars" that share for us.

My points are:
#1. Don't be afraid of investing a few dollars in ANYTHING that looks like it's furthering the cause. We constantly debate spending $300.00 to $3,000.00 on a crossbow, or $89.00 to $890.00 on an optic. We should play the smart money and drop twenty bucks to protect and expand the very sport we expect to use those rigs in. Your jewel of a crossbow rig that you proudly assembled through painstaking researh ain't gonna be much fun if it's relegated to a one week stint after winter gun season when it's 10° with 25mph winds, over 28" of frozen snow, and the deer are paranoid & nocturnal ...lol
#2. Check out CROSSBOW MAGAZINE. If you haven't subscribed already, do the industry and sport a solid and subscribe. Not only does it advance our values, it's a fine source of useful crossbow articles as well. It's a win/win/win situation.:)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think it's a waste letting people kill 10 does every year.
We are at 3 doe a day from 3rd Saturday in September to the second Sunday in in January. Deer are fewer in some areas and the total kill is declining. That was the goal. Crossbows have done their part.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
I agree with Gabowman that our doe harvest allotment is too high and some sections of GA are screaming about lower deer numbers already but I think a lot has to do with a large over population of coyotes killing fawns off. I know of very few people in my area that kill anywhere near a limit each year. Most like me only take what they and their family will eat. In my case 2 deer per year tops. When the new limit was implemented I saw several people that did kill a limit but after a year or two they pretty much quit doing so. The main problem I see is some folks don't shoot does at all but think nothing about shooting 5 or more bucks per year. The limit is 2 here.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Wisconsin is currently battling with anti crossbow factions concerning crossbow hunting and seasons structure. The Wisconsin DNR was tasked with performing a study of crossbow hunting pros and cons. It is quite lengthy but it is the most extensive and in depth study ever performed by any state. It answers many questions in detail, and I highly recommend people to look it over to provide legitimate information.

Link to report - https://dnr.wi.gov/About/NRB/2019/October/00 Tuesday 2019-10-3A Wisconsin Crossbow Report Final.pdf

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wisconsin is currently battling with anti crossbow factions concerning crossbow hunting and seasons structure. The Wisconsin DNR was tasked with performing a study of crossbow hunting pros and cons. It is quite lengthy but it is the most extensive and in depth study ever performed by any state. It answers many questions in detail, and I highly recommend people to look it over to provide legitimate information.

Link to report - https://dnr.wi.gov/About/NRB/2019/October/00 Tuesday 2019-10-3A Wisconsin Crossbow Report Final.pdf
Very in depth for sure!! Unfortunately no amount of facts will deter the crossbow haters. I have found that to be the case when I have engaged some of them. Very closed minded and believe in a big way crossbow hunters have an unfair advantage that needs to be eliminated. They want all crossbow hunters to have one arm tied behind their back so the Vertical Bow hunters are not outmatched. I gave up trying to talk with them. I just don't have the patience!!
Bill

Reactions: SEW
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.