Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many crossbow shooters on this site who have more than one and in many cases have several different brands of Crossbows.

Every one has there own opinion about the best overall crossbow.

But,With all the new crossbows coming out I would just like to know,What crossbow requires the least effort to cock by hand.

Also what is the hardest?

I know weight,string angle,power stroke,design, all contribute,but I have found some bows of the same weight can be a bear to hand cock, while others seem be a snap.

What are your observations?

·
190 Posts
Hand cock the hardest.....has to be the Barnett Recon..with that crazy narrow reverse limb configuration.

·
11,435 Posts
Hand cock?

With cocking rope?

I have quite a few crossbows. I have favorites for different hunting situations but IMHO there is no one best crossbow for all my needs. Yes, I'm a crossbow fanatic:D As to stock mounted crank cocking devices that use ropes, TP Accu Draw has them all beaten hands down. The Stryker's chain cocking system has been flawless for me but slow if you want to shoot a lot. The Desert Stryker is one amazing crossbow. It's recoil-free, cocks easily, dead nuts accurate and is the easiest crossbow I have on strings and cables. The Phantom is a typical Ten Point high quality, expensive:eek:, well thought out and deadly accurate crossbow. Their complete line is high quality. Most folks can surely find one that fits their needs. Excal's are accurate, wide and easy to maintain and can be purchased more often than not at Ebay prices:eek: Not good for dealers:ack2: I don't currently own any of the other brands. The easiest to cock? Too many variables for me to nail that down. Draw length, power stroke, shooter's height and arm length.

Attachments

·
Banned
364 Posts
Like Moon, I use a rock assist to cock my crossbows just because of accuracy. There are so many variables that I would be hard pressed to name a single crossbow that is easiest to cock.
The only thing consistent is that compounds appear easier because of the cam system which causes the draw weight to drop off after rolling the cams over center.

·
1,223 Posts
I also use a rope cocking device...or two. That is, everything but the Stryker...it has it's own internal chain!

Recurve -
Barnett does not make the Recon...Horton does (I think! That is to say...maybe someday...they'll make it to the shops and our hands!)

Many or most can be fairly easily cocked by hand...but making sure the string is centered "properly" within the trigger mechanism is another story.
Hence...a cocking aid.

Mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
Old school. I noticed you reply to alot of REALLY old posts. Not sure if you knew this but wanted to point it out for you incase you are wondering why no one comments after yours.
WI

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Wisconsin Smoke said:
Old school. I noticed you reply to alot of REALLY old posts. Not sure if you knew this but wanted to point it out for you incase you are wondering why no one comments after yours.
WI
Sorry about that. I figured people like me who are new to the forum research archived discussions just to learn more about X bows and to get to know everyone in the CBN family. Just trying to inject some humor. I will stop replying to archived posts.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Old school bowhunter said:
Sorry about that. I figured people like me who are new to the forum research archived discussions just to learn more about X bows and to get to know everyone in the CBN family. Just trying to inject some humor. I will stop replying to archived posts.
Didn't want it to sound snotty. Just wanted to inform you. Have fun learning. I know I am!

WI

·
2,744 Posts
Old school bowhunter said:
Why would you stop commenting on any post new or old. This is a open forum and you can comment on any post you want. Sometimes these older post are good to look back on for me I have old timers and forget sometimes.

Reactions: AndyC

·
1,052 Posts
I agree, nothing wrong at all in adding comment(s) to older posts. Its often really interesting re hashing past topics.

BTW, I'm part of the "we're" in your post Cactus, maybe you should just speak for yourself.

·
Banned
3,103 Posts
Well if you want to rehash every old topic fill your boots, but a lot of it is repetitive and like a needle stuck on an old record, boring as hell if you ask me. But you go ahead and review everyone of these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts